Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2011, 08:35:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 10:33:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2011, 10:18:36 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 10:06:56 AM
You know, I would have enjoyed the book more if Martin actually focused a bit more on the monsters in the North.  The preview sets us up for a supernatural threat, but through out the 700 page book very little happens on that front.  While I do like the politicking and war, if you are going to set up a monstrous threat in the prologue you really should try to follow through with it.

Also, what the fuck do the wildlings eat?  They live in a land where it's always snowing!

The Sami, Canadian and Siberian natives manage.

Only the Inuit live in perpetual snow, and they had a stone age society of hunter-gatherers.

Inuit do not in fact live in perpetual snow.  There is a brief arctic summer.

Some of the places where they live the sea doesn't unfreeze in the summer.  At least not every year.  I'd call that perpetual snow.  Or at least Ice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2011, 03:20:55 PM

Yeah, I have always said that the books read like something from an author who started as a game master. You create this rich world with lots of interesting characters and an open-ended plot and then lose interest in the middle of it and fuck off to play Vampire the Masquerade. :P
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

I caved and bought a Targaryen shirt at the HBO store, since it's 3 blocks from me.  :blush:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2011, 05:51:16 PM
I hope that's like 3 avenues.

Duh. Some of us are cool enough to live in Hell's Kitchen.

garbon

I guess cool is one word for that.

/3 avenues away doesn't put you all that close. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2011, 05:53:53 PM
I guess cool is one word for that.

/3 avenues away doesn't put you all that close. :huh:

To the store? I guess, but compared to Brooklyn it's a hop skip and a jump. (Not that I would ever go to Metropolitan).

garbon

I wouldn't ever go to the Metropolitan. There are enough dive bars in Manhattan. Although I suppose that most don't have patios.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2011, 03:20:55 PM
You create this rich world with lots of interesting characters and an open-ended plot and then lose interest in the middle of it and fuck off to play Vampire the Masquerade. :P

lol too true.

CountDeMoney

At least Charles Dance will be in the vast majority of episodes.  He's cool as shit.

Alas, Julian Glover's only in 2 episodes.  His agent chose...poorly.

Josquius

What particularly annoys me about the series not being finished is that what is taking him so long is the Dorne plotline. Freaking Dorne. I hated that part. So dull.

QuoteIsn't the Iron Island itself also getting invaded? There's some sort of ruckus there.

What I like about the whole setup is that it would work marvelously as a setting for an RPG or a whole series of books. He's created a wonderfully rich world and if he was the kind of guy who actually wrote, there could come good things out of it.

Erikson has a similarily large number of concurrent plotlines but he manages to tie them off in an entirely different manner.
Erikson?

Quote from: Faeelin on April 10, 2011, 05:35:16 PM
I caved and bought a Targaryen shirt at the HBO store, since it's 3 blocks from me.  :blush:
I have set the Targaryen sigil as my wallpaper. Its just so pretty. Shame the others aren't so cool.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 10, 2011, 07:17:13 PM
I have set the Targaryen sigil as my wallpaper. Its just so pretty. Shame the others aren't so cool.

Horde is cooler.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2011, 06:53:56 PM
At least Charles Dance will be in the vast majority of episodes.  He's cool as shit.

I think Lannisters, in general, are perfectly cast (at least the adults). Peter Dinklage will steal every scene he is in, the way Tyrion did in the books, and the twins are very well chosen too.

I think the only characters I have seen so far that made me go somewhat WTF, cast-wise, are the Tully sisters, especially Lysa - it was a while ago when I read the books, but wasn't she supposed to be a chubbo?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on April 10, 2011, 07:17:13 PM
What particularly annoys me about the series not being finished is that what is taking him so long is the Dorne plotline. Freaking Dorne. I hated that part. So dull.

QuoteIsn't the Iron Island itself also getting invaded? There's some sort of ruckus there.

What I like about the whole setup is that it would work marvelously as a setting for an RPG or a whole series of books. He's created a wonderfully rich world and if he was the kind of guy who actually wrote, there could come good things out of it.

Erikson has a similarily large number of concurrent plotlines but he manages to tie them off in an entirely different manner.
Erikson?

Quote from: Faeelin on April 10, 2011, 05:35:16 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

Since Jordan died, he's currently my favourite Living author.  :D