News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

...in a fortnight.

For now though here's the first '15' (more like 13) minutes.

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Fifteen_Minute_Preview/

Jon Snow pronounces watching wrong. OMFG series ruined foreva.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Blind Guardian had two tracks dedicated to SoIaF on their most recent album:

A Voice In The Dark
and
War of the Thrones
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Which network is going to make RuneQuest II?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

There were some differences from the books but I really enjoyed the preview.  Looking forward to April 17!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

You know, I would have enjoyed the book more if Martin actually focused a bit more on the monsters in the North.  The preview sets us up for a supernatural threat, but through out the 700 page book very little happens on that front.  While I do like the politicking and war, if you are going to set up a monstrous threat in the prologue you really should try to follow through with it.

Also, what the fuck do the wildlings eat?  They live in a land where it's always snowing!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 10:06:56 AM
You know, I would have enjoyed the book more if Martin actually focused a bit more on the monsters in the North.  The preview sets us up for a supernatural threat, but through out the 700 page book very little happens on that front.  While I do like the politicking and war, if you are going to set up a monstrous threat in the prologue you really should try to follow through with it.

Also, what the fuck do the wildlings eat?  They live in a land where it's always snowing!

The Sami, Canadian and Siberian natives manage.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

what the fuck do the wildlings eat?  They live in a land where it's always snowing!

From what I gather there are rather few wildlings living in an enormous wilderness.  Besides it does not always snow from A Clash of Kings it seems the southern Wildlings have little farming villages.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Siege

Wow, my taste in literature is completely opposite to yours.
The only reason I like AsoIaF so much is because it is so light in magic and so heavy in medieval politicking and warfare.

Had the northern front been the center of the story, it would have been just another run of the mill fantasy crap.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2011, 10:18:36 AM

The Sami, Canadian and Siberian natives manage.

Only the Inuit live in perpetual snow, and they had a stone age society of hunter-gatherers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sahib

Changes to the prologue were weird. Why the Others/White Walkers simply let the last guy go? OMG RUINED FOREVAR  :mad:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Valmy

Quote from: Sahib on April 04, 2011, 10:34:23 AM
Changes to the prologue were weird. Why the Others/White Walkers simply let the last guy go? OMG RUINED FOREVAR  :mad:

It was necessary.   To do the prologue right would have taken too long and they got the basic point across: The Others are coming to break shit up.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on April 04, 2011, 10:23:20 AM

Wow, my taste in literature is completely opposite to yours.
The only reason I like AsoIaF so much is because it is so light in magic and so heavy in medieval politicking and warfare.

Had the northern front been the center of the story, it would have been just another run of the mill fantasy crap.

Indeed.  Defeat the Big Bad.  The Wars of the Roses stuff is what made the series stand out.  It is unfortunate that he has abandoned it.
PDH!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"