News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 02:01:31 PM
GangstaKitty has a doctor appointment for Friday AM.  Seems to have lost quite a bit of weight recently, looks terribly gaunt in the hindquarters and her neck.  Still eating, drinking and treating her litterbox like Languish, but just doesn't look well.  Worried.
:console:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on November 19, 2014, 04:14:52 PM
Geez, I hope it is not bad, but that sounds like what I went through with Aphrodite.

Could be a hyperthyroid issue, I dunno.

The one thing about unemployment I do enjoy is being able to grow a beard;  I told my niece that I was growing out my whiskers to donate them to an international organization, Les Chats Sans Moustaches, that donates facial hair to cats in the third world suffering from the affliction of being born without whiskers.  She wasn't buying it.  Such a sharp little girl.

CountDeMoney

Gangsta was a good kitty at the vets.  She has lost a full £ since August 27, which is not good. 

Met their new doctor (Cornell), very nice and personable;  she could tell just by the physical examination that G. has an enlarged thyroid.  She also noticed a detectable difference in the size of her kidneys (just like her Daddy!), and that she has developed a heart murmur which may or may not be the result of the hyperthyroid issue.

Anyway, should get the blood panels back tomorrow or Monday.  No use discussing treatment plans until then.  Said that there are medication options for dealing with a hyperthyroid issue that does not involve substantial bloodletting and advanced wound care.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 01:44:57 AM
The one thing about unemployment I do enjoy is being able to grow a beard;  I told my niece that I was growing out my whiskers to donate them to an international organization, Les Chats Sans Moustaches, that donates facial hair to cats in the third world suffering from the affliction of being born without whiskers.  She wasn't buying it.  Such a sharp little girl.

:lol:  Well, it is No-Shave November.  I haven't trimmed my goatee since Halloween though I have shaved the other parts of my face since I know better than to try & grow a full beard.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Brazen

Poor GK  :( Taffy and Harley send transatlantic fraternal healing vibes *console*

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2014, 11:42:01 AM

:lol:  Well, it is No-Shave November.  I haven't trimmed my goatee since Halloween though I have shaved the other parts of my face since I know better than to try & grow a full beard.

Yeah, I've managed to get it long enough it looks good for a goatee, mainly because I have too many dead zones elsewhere.   But my chin has all the gray, in two parallel strips.  Look like a goddamned middle-aged biker.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2014, 11:46:27 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2014, 11:42:01 AM

Yeah, I've managed to get it long enough it looks good for a goatee, mainly because I have too many dead zones elsewhere.   But my chin has all the gray, in two parallel strips.  Look like a goddamned middle-aged biker.

Shoe, if, fits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on November 21, 2014, 11:44:13 AM
Poor GK  :( Taffy and Harley send transatlantic fraternal healing vibes *console*

Trying to get her out of the cat carrier onto the vet table is like pouring out freshly mixed furry cement.  However, there's no problem jumping back in when it's all over.  Such a smart kitty.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2014, 12:03:11 PM
Shoe, if, fits.

But I don't even own a decently worn-out dirtbag leather jacket.  :(

sbr

Glad to hear things aren't too bad for GK.

Missy, my last remaining cat was diagnosed with hyper-thyroidism over the summer.  She gets a small dropper (2.5ml) of a liquid medicine (Tarpazole IIRC) twice a day for the rest of her life; she does pretty well with taking it though.  Not too spendy either, at least here; ~$50 for a 3-4 month supply.

Hope she feels better.

CountDeMoney

The doc was telling me that there's a transdermal Q-tip application now for hyperthyroid meds.  Just a swab in the ear.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2014, 12:42:13 PM
The doc was telling me that there's a transdermal Q-tip application now for hyperthyroid meds.  Just a swab in the ear.

Oh nice, that would be even easier.  Just hit her in a drive-by swabbing while she is asleep.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2014, 12:10:07 PM
Quote from: Brazen on November 21, 2014, 11:44:13 AM

Trying to get her out of the cat carrier onto the vet table is like pouring out freshly mixed furry cement.  However, there's no problem jumping back in when it's all over.  Such a smart kitty.

My cat always resisted getting in no matter what the circumstance.  She would usually just crawl up my shirt and try to hide under my chin.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Generally, it was a bloodbath to get any of my cats into the carrier at home; I found putting the carrier on end vertically, wrapping the cat in a blanket and them dropping them down the chute is best.  Let gravity help and reduce the number of flailing sharp objects.

Once at the vet they almost always came out to explore, and had no trouble getting back in when it was time to go home.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on November 21, 2014, 12:59:00 PM
I found putting the carrier on end vertically, wrapping the cat in a blanket and them dropping them down the chute is best.  Let gravity help and reduce the number of flailing sharp objects.

Yeah, Operation Cat Burrito kinda goes that way, 2 drops out of 3.