News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Shouldn't that be Mistah J and Harley Quinn?  Pet insurance is a scam.  A terrible, terrible, scam.
PDH!

Jacob

Quote from: Brazen on March 07, 2014, 10:33:50 AM
Taffy and Harley Quinn. And that's my final answer.

Got a quote for pet insurance today and it's more than my annual car insurance  :huh:

You are better off putting half of that amount into an account for pet emergencies and leaving it at that.

I can't speak for the UK, but pet insurance is basically unregulated over here AFAIK so you're unlikely to get good value for the money.

Barrister

Got a quote for pet insurance today and it's more than my annual car insurance  :huh:

Pets and veterinarians... you have to be a bit mercenary when it comes to them.  They'll always be suggesting some new, and expensive procedure, but it's hard to justify when you can always get a new cat or dog from the pound at a pretty modest fee.

If your cats ever get sick, decide how much you can spend, and ask for cheaper alternatives if the vet wants to go beyond that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2014, 01:49:47 PM

Pets and veterinarians... you have to be a bit mercenary when it comes to them.  They'll always be suggesting some new, and expensive procedure, but it's hard to justify when you can always get a new cat or dog from the pound at a pretty modest fee.

If your cats ever get sick, decide how much you can spend, and ask for cheaper alternatives if the vet wants to go beyond that.
Tthey call Cosmic Creepers 'Cash Cow' in their charts. :(
PDH!

CountDeMoney

QuotePortland police had to be called in to subdue a 22-pound house cat that trapped its owners inside their bedroom after attacking their baby.

The baby was not injured in the Sunday incident.

Sgt. Pete Simpson, a Portland Police Bureau spokesman, said officers responded to a 911 call that evening from a couple who had locked themselves in their bedroom with the baby and their dog after the cat attacked the child.

Simpson said the 911 operator could hear the cat screeching in the background as the couple awaited help.

Officers used a dog snare to capture the cat and placed it in a crate.

Simpson said the owners told the dispatcher the cat has a history of violence. He said the cat remained with its owners.

Beenherebefore

22 pounds?  :ph34r:

Now that is one hell of a cat. Are they sure they weren't actually keeping a lynx or bobcat as a pet?

By the way, here is mine. He's been with me for six years, and is still as deaf as a loaf of bread and recently brought home the gift of three dead mice.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Ed Anger

The dude kicked the cat after it scratched the baby. Sounds like justifiable self defense.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2014, 06:24:41 AM
QuotePortland police had to be called in to subdue a 22-pound house cat that trapped its owners inside their bedroom after attacking their baby.

The baby was not injured in the Sunday incident.

Sgt. Pete Simpson, a Portland Police Bureau spokesman, said officers responded to a 911 call that evening from a couple who had locked themselves in their bedroom with the baby and their dog after the cat attacked the child.

Simpson said the 911 operator could hear the cat screeching in the background as the couple awaited help.

Officers used a dog snare to capture the cat and placed it in a crate.

Simpson said the owners told the dispatcher the cat has a history of violence. He said the cat remained with its owners.

I saw this on the news this morning. I lol'd. The dog and the parents were locked away, from a cat? Ok, I can see making sure it can't get at the baby but if one of the parents, probably the father, can get out of the room then take care of the damn cat, subdue it however necessary if it's so dangerous. Then take it to the Vet to have it put down, as they say it has a history of violence. I wouldn't keep it in my home around a baby.

Darth Wagtaros

Cosmic Creepers has stopped eating. :(
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2014, 01:49:47 PM

Wait...are we not going to talk about this and Beeb's assertion that one animal is interchangeable with another?

What's next, return your cats once they stop being adorable kittens? After all, there are always more kittens. :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on March 11, 2014, 09:31:39 PMWait...are we not going to talk about this and Beeb's assertion that one animal is interchangeable with another?

What's next, return your cats once they stop being adorable kittens? After all, there are always more kittens. :w00t:

it's about being rational when it comes to pets. no matter the love one has for an animal, at the end of the day it's not human. people who cannot afford expensive medical procedures for their cats or dogs should not break themselves financially (sometimes even for a 30-50% chance of success), yet some do

garbon

I mean at the end of the day, if you can't afford the expensive medical procedures aka it would break you financially, why pay to extend the life of a human you "care about" if they are still terminal? :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on March 11, 2014, 09:39:23 PM
I mean at the end of the day, if you can't afford the expensive medical procedures aka it would break you financially, why pay to extend the life of a human you "care about" if they are still terminal? :mellow:

because it's a human, not a cat or dog we treat as playthings. cats especially lack sentient thought and probably aren't capable of love (or what we consider love). but either way, it's an animal. very few people treat pets as equal to humans. why? because they're not

garbon

Ah so rationality is to be prized when it doesnt involve people?

garbon

Besides who was advocating that pets are equal to humans?