News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Venus Patrol

Started by Pishtaco, April 14, 2009, 06:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pishtaco

In a thread a few weeks ago, I was talking about a flight simulator I was thinking of making for a game competition. I had a go at making it, and here it is:

Venus Patrol (download)

You get to fly a Gloster Meteor over a cloud-covered Venus. I had in mind a big-game hunting flight sim, with a 1950s flavour and maybe a whiff of decolonization as a theme. But in the available time all I managed to get in was one mission, with no tutorial or front-end or anything.

Instructions (from the readme file):
QuoteThis is not a full game, just a space to fly around in with some possible enemies. Do not fly too deeply into the clouds; your plane won't like it.

The plane is controlled by moving the mouse. To roll, hold down the left button; this will keep the elevator reasonably centered but give you more control over the ailerons. The mouse wheel controls the throttle. Left control fires the guns.

Left shift switches between a free and a target-tracking camera. Holding down space moves to the internal camera. You can rotate the free camera using the mouse, by holding down the right button. You can zoom the external cameras by scrolling the mouse wheel while holding down the right button.

Tab selects the target nearest the centre of the screen. Z and X cycle between targets. You can press T to hide the clockface around your plane.

Wingman commands are F for "fly formation", A for "attack my target" and C for "choose your own targets."

The Esc key quits, and is the only way to leave the game.

I think it turned out okay, for what it is. I'm pleased with how well the mouse control works for me, and am wondering what other flight-simmers think of it; I suspect there aren't so many on Tigsource. Also, some people can't run it, and it would be good to have more feedback and bug reports to track this problem down. The competition entry thread is here.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

With the thread title and Cal being the first to reply I was hoping this game might be somehing along Leather Goddesses of Phobos. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2009, 06:38:02 AM
With the thread title and Cal being the first to reply I was hoping this game might be somehing along Leather Goddesses of Phobos. :(

I would like a T-removing machine.  Look at those i's! :perv:

Crazy_Ivan80

looks purdy for such a short workingcycle.

Caliga

I think you should have done a remake of Astrotit.

Neil

I don't think there's enough atmospheric pressure to support a Meteor over the top of the cloud deck.  While I approve of the unique setting, it's not feasible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Pishtaco

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2009, 07:36:14 PM
I don't think there's enough atmospheric pressure to support a Meteor over the top of the cloud deck.  While I approve of the unique setting, it's not feasible.
There's meant to be other cloud layers above you, but they didn't make it in. Spires of rock and floating islands are also possibilities for the future.

PDH

But with all those clouds, we don't get to see the dinosaurs.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: Pishtaco on April 15, 2009, 02:28:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2009, 07:36:14 PM
There's meant to be other cloud layers above you, but they didn't make it in. Spires of rock and floating islands are also possibilities for the future.
Then the sulfuric acid would be a problem for the skin of your jet.

Then again, if we can overlook the fact that a turbojet engine wouldn't work in the Cytherean atmosphere, there's no use getting worked up.  It's the look and the feel that count.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Pishtaco

So, did anybody try this?

If so, thanks. If it didn't run, it would be good to know what error message it gave. If it did, what did you think of the controls and the flight model? And any suggestions as to what to do with it now? The bare minimum I would like to do is to add a bit more interactivity (e.g. radioing base, attacking your wingman), death, some more postwar physics textbook styling, and enough of a front end so that it looks like a complete, although very short and crappy, game.

Crazy_Ivan80

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

RPS' Flare Path (their Fridaily sim/wargame column) plugs this again in a bit about Steam Greenlight:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/31/the-flare-path-twitchers-and-switchers/

Quote[...]

My honey-tongued howl complaining about the lack of quality wargames and sims on Steam has single-handedly prompted the introduction of something called Greenlight. There can be no other explanation. It's not quite the highly-paid consultants position I was angling for, but, hey, c'est la vie. Now all that's required is a selection of blue-chip War Stuff and Transportiana to champion. Obviously FP has thumbed-up the following...

Steel Armor: Blaze of War
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Strategic War In Europe
and Silent Storm
...but won't be fully satisfied until he sees the rest of Graviteam's back catalogue on Greenlight, along with a full-blown feature-length version of Venus Patrol.

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.