News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wonder Woman tv series

Started by garbon, March 31, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 05, 2011, 11:41:00 AM
Yeah, pair him with JMS and it would be gold.
Agreed.  They complement each other very well.  JMS for the story and production, Whedon for dialogue and direction.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on April 05, 2011, 11:52:52 AM
For Whedon I think I lot of it is focus.  When he concentrates on an episode or series it can be brilliant beyond just the dialogue.  A great example is the Buffy episode Hush which has very little dialogue but is thoroughly entertaining even if a bit predictable.  Unfortunately he has a tendency to get distracted and let his ideas get away from him.
Yes, I think he is great at the "tactics" of TV, but not so much the strategy.  That worked for Buffy, but not anything since.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2011, 12:04:49 AM
Love Greek mythology, so I love her back story. She's also willing to kill people unlike Batman and Superman.

Super Girl's just a female knockoff of Superman, Power Girl is literally Super Girl from another dimension, Hawk Girl... seriously? :rolleyes:

I like Zatanna and Black Canary. Not really a fan of other DC girls.

The character Super Girl is fundamentally different from Super Man in that she grew up on Krypton and suffered the loss of her entire civilization; while Super Man came to earth as an infant - he's an outsider because of his super powers but didn't suffer the loss as she did.  Also Super Girl lives in the shadow of Super Man and must try to establish her own identity.  Plus she has a horse:

What is it that you think is lame about Hawk Girl?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 12:16:31 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 05, 2011, 11:41:00 AM
Yeah, pair him with JMS and it would be gold.
Agreed.  They complement each other very well.  JMS for the story and production, Whedon for dialogue and direction.
JMS always struck me as weak on dialogue.  So it would be a great team.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 12:18:00 PM
Yes, I think he is great at the "tactics" of TV, but not so much the strategy.  That worked for Buffy, but not anything since.
Angel was very good, mostly.  Other shows were cancelled early, it's hard to tell.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2011, 12:50:42 PM
AngelCharisma Carpenter was very good, mostly.  Other shows were cancelled early, it's hard to tell.
:perv:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 12:18:00 PM
Angel was very good, mostly.  Other shows were cancelled early, it's hard to tell.
I think of Angel as being part of Buffy.  Both parts of the series were good, I thought, though, from what I saw.

There is a reason why the others didn't last.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2011, 01:33:32 PM
There is a reason why the others didn't last.
Had B5 been on Fox, it would have been cancelled before the end of the 1st season.  Many of these episodes were very weak (TKO and Infection among others), and those that were good only truly shine once you know what comes after that.

Firefly was an excellent series.  It should not have been cancelled.

Dollhouse had weak moments, and you can trace the difficulties of the show around the writer's strike, IIRC.  And Fox moving/pre-hempting episodes, as usual. Same with Terminator, but that's not Whedon.

As I said, had JMS worked for Fox instead of Warner, B5 would never have existed in this way.  Just look at what happenned with Crusade.  Knowing JMS, you really think Crusade deserved its fate?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on April 06, 2011, 01:32:36 PM
AngelCharisma Carpenter was very good, mostly.  Other shows were cancelled early, it's hard to tell.
:perv:
this post is worthless without pics ;)  :D

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2011, 01:55:05 PM
Had B5 been on Fox, it would have been cancelled before the end of the 1st season.  Many of these episodes were very weak (TKO and Infection among others), and those that were good only truly shine once you know what comes after that.

Firefly was an excellent series.  It should not have been cancelled.

Dollhouse had weak moments, and you can trace the difficulties of the show around the writer's strike, IIRC.  And Fox moving/pre-hempting episodes, as usual. Same with Terminator, but that's not Whedon.

As I said, had JMS worked for Fox instead of Warner, B5 would never have existed in this way.  Just look at what happenned with Crusade.  Knowing JMS, you really think Crusade deserved its fate?
Nice red herring.  What does Crusade of B5 have to do with Whedon's weakness at putting together a compelling show since Buffy/Angel?

If your aunt had had balls, she would have been your uncle.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 06, 2011, 02:28:27 PM
Fred > Cordy
Is that the chick who was a giant nerd when introduced in the show and suddenly became HOTT later?  My memory of this show is starting to fade...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 06, 2011, 02:53:42 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 06, 2011, 02:28:27 PM
Fred > Cordy
Is that the chick who was a giant nerd when introduced in the show and suddenly became HOTT later?  My memory of this show is starting to fade...

Amy Acker iirc, but, seriously... I wouldn't kick Amy Acker out of my bed, but Carpenter is Internett HOTT.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on April 06, 2011, 02:59:35 PM
Amy Acker iirc, but, seriously... I wouldn't kick Amy Acker out of my bed, but Carpenter is Internett HOTT.

Playboy HOTT actually. Hef got her to pose.

But Amy Acker is more my style. She's awesome.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2011, 02:33:30 PM
Nice red herring.  What does Crusade of B5 have to do with Whedon's weakness at putting together a compelling show since Buffy/Angel?
I disagree with you implied assertion that Joss Whedon produces poorly written shows and that would be the only, or main cause for their early disapearance from tv.

The success or failure of a TV show goes beyond the simple good or bad writing of the show.  Voyager ran for 7 years on TV.  That's 2 more than B5.  There never was any threat of cancelling Voyager.  It must mean that Voyager is better written than any other sci-fi series, save for TNG, DS9 and Stargate SG1.

You make simplistic assumptions based on your personal and very restrictive preferences.  I don't think I remember seeing you appreciate a tv show since B5 ended.  There are other writers in the universe beside JMS, you know ;)