Police in Germany warn of Vodka soaked tampon use by teens

Started by Syt, March 31, 2011, 02:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110330-34051.html

QuoteTeens warned of risks from 'vodka tampon' use
Published: 30 Mar 11 09:11 CET
Police in southern Germany warned this week of a dangerous new form of alcohol abuse among teens – using tampons soaked in vodka to get drunk quickly and hide the smell. The practice poses grave health risks, they said.

• German boy's message in a bottle found 24 years later in Russia (30 Mar 11)
  • Father in court for castrating daughter's older boyfriend (30 Mar 11)
  • Brazilian busted driving 291 kph on autobahn (29 Mar 11)

Police in the Baden-Württemburg city of Tuttlingen responded Tuesday to growing online chatter among teenagers that they could become intoxicated using the vodka tampons without having alcohol on their breath.

This is not true, police said, denying that it was an effective way to get drunk. They also warned girls that the alcohol could damage vaginal walls and increase the risk of infection. Boys have reportedly also been using tampons anally.

"I believe this is very dangerous," head of a children's clinic in Singen told southern German paper Südkurier last week. "For us this is a new thing."

In early March a 14-year-old girl collapsed during a street festival in Konstanz, apparently highly intoxicated from using a vodka tampon, the paper reported.

Youth researchers have since found out that this form of alcohol abuse is trendy in the region.

But teens who believe they can hide the smell of alcohol consumption are wrong, experts told the paper.

The development shows a new dimension for alcohol abuse among teens, county social worker Axel Goßner told the Südkurier.

"Alcohol is no longer a stimulant, but a means to an end," he said.

The trend arose among teens in the United States, where it is known as "slimming." But it has reportedly caught on in Scandinavia and other places where alcohol is difficult for young people to acquire.

Some Facebook groups are even devoted to exchanging tips on the topic, complete with how-to videos and instructions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Wait, so they deny that it is possible to use this method, yet claim that a 14 year old collapsed "highly intoxicated" from using it.  :hmm:

Germans are not so clever?

Richard Hakluyt

One assumes they did not make an empirical investigation, just an unwarranted assumption  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Slargos on March 31, 2011, 02:54:07 AM
Wait, so they deny that it is possible to use this method, yet claim that a 14 year old collapsed "highly intoxicated" from using it.  :hmm:

Germans are not so clever?

Maybe they used the "back entrance" which is suceptible to taking in alcohol directly into the bloodstream?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Slargos

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2011, 02:59:20 AM
One assumes they did not make an empirical investigation, just an unwarranted assumption  :hmm:

Or they simply honoured the old tradition of lying to the public in order to promote a government sanctioned behaviour, apparently not realizing that in the internet-age you can't really pull that kind of shit anymore?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Slargos

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2011, 03:05:11 AM
Thanks, Slarg, for today's :tinfoil: -moment.

:lol:

Ah, yes. The police always tells the Truth and there is never a need to mistrust the government or what it tells you.  :hug:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on March 31, 2011, 03:07:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2011, 03:05:11 AM
Thanks, Slarg, for today's :tinfoil: -moment.

:lol:

Ah, yes. The police always tells the Truth and there is never a need to mistrust the government or what it tells you.  :hug:

Sorry Eichmann, but you just don't do the "Question Authority" thing very well.  Your jackboots give you away.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on March 31, 2011, 06:39:45 AM
Germans :rolleyes:

Indeed, behind the times as usual. Kenneth Tynan, former theatre critic of the Observer, indulged in the odd vodka enema back in the 1970s. Mind you, he died in 1980 aged only 53 so maybe the polizei have a point  :hmm:

Brazen

It all sounds rather more palatable and less painless than vodka eyeball shots, which the Daily Mail says is a dangerous new craze sweeping teens, so it must be true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278583/Young-people-drinking-neat-vodka-EYE-quick-buzz.html

I wonder at what age on reading that you go from "Hey, crazy idea, I must try that!" to "Pass the tonic and ice".

Malthus

This is nuts.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'll go back to licking toads to get high.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

That whole article doesn't make sense. In addition to what Slargos said, the bit at the end about how Scandinavian teens are using this method because alcohol is hard to get at that age.
So, if alcohol is hard to get, what exactly are they putting on their tampons.?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2011, 08:40:06 AM
That whole article doesn't make sense. In addition to what Slargos said, the bit at the end about how Scandinavian teens are using this method because alcohol is hard to get at that age.
So, if alcohol is hard to get, what exactly are they putting on their tampons.?
the article in itself is badly written, but i took that part to mean that since you need less to get drunk your limited suplly goes longer.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.