Main Menu

Obama's new energy plan

Started by KRonn, March 30, 2011, 02:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: citizen k on March 30, 2011, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2011, 05:08:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2011, 04:40:53 PM
Obama is exactly the kind of politician to have the courage to screw the detractors, denounce the corn ethanol racket, tell Iowa to get fucked, and get us off that highly ruinous dead end.

I like making money off of it.  :)

ADM ?

partial ownership of a corn farm. I'm trying to make a real life Farmville.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Faeelin

Obama is exactly the kind of politician to have the courage to screw the detractors, denounce the corn ethanol racket, tell Iowa to get fucked, and get us off that highly ruinous dead end.

You're kidding, right?

jimmy olsen

Given how much new techniques are wringing out of old fields and new ones like Bakken, seems like we'll do okay on the domestic oil front.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2011, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 30, 2011, 03:37:19 PM
At least he didn't spend half his time talking about windmills & electric cars.  That's a start, I guess.

Especially since we already use those things.

I do not understand the drilling issue.  If conservation is really that critical why not spend research money on more environmental drilling techniques and so forth?  If that would result in enabling expansions in drilling surely that would be a good investment.

The opposition to drilling is religious in nature, so argumentation based on logic isn't possible.  Remember, this is the same administration that got cought falsifying a report on off-shore drilling in order to justify the drilling moratorium.  Unfortunately, we have an administration that is deeply anti-science.

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on March 30, 2011, 05:18:12 PM

You're kidding, right?
:P

Neil

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 30, 2011, 07:12:32 PM
Unfortunately, we have an administration that is deeply anti-science.
The last US President to be elected who wasn't anti-science was Carter.  The last good US President to be elected who wasn't anti-science was Nixon.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Of course. Without science, how would his head survive to rule the world 1000 years from now?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on March 30, 2011, 02:45:43 PM
A good way to reduce dependency on foreign oil might be to actually, you know, drill for more oil here at home.
If you increase your own supply of oil why demand is still increasing, you are only keeping things equal.

You need to drill more AND reduce your energy consumption.

I think you should import more of Quebec's hydro-electricity instead of burning coal or oil ;)

Oh, and go nuclear, too.  But wait a few years ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Meh, like "we'll go to Mars by 2050!", I always assumed Energy Plans were just for political consumption.

After all, where are the hydrogen fuel-cell cars that Bush promised?  :mad:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 30, 2011, 09:03:23 PM

Wherever it is, I bet you'll find our balanced budget there too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2011, 05:15:34 PM
partial ownership of a corn farm. I'm trying to make a real life Farmville.

I am a: Friend of Coal   :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2011, 09:07:20 PM

ΒΈ :lmfao:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

And the non-raised taxes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2011, 03:15:36 PM
So the plan is to increase domestic production, but we won't allow more drilling.

We want to increase conservation, but that goes without saying. This is right up their with balancing the budget plans by "reducing waste and corruption!"

And we want to use more biofuels, but we will be maintaining the tariffs on biofuel imports and continuing to prop up domestic ethanol production, even though it makes little sense?

Yeah, sounds like a fucking outstanding plan.
When I first saw this plan, I had in the back of my mind these opposite policies that Obama has pursued. But I was hoping that going forward he was, maybe, hopefully, planning on changing his stance on some of these things. As I thought about it more, I think that this is more likely part of the beginning phase of Obama's re-election campaign strategy so he gives lip service to these ideas. Sad really, for us.

KRonn

Oh man, low blow!!    :D   But so right, given the track record of US politics for too long.