News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: sbr on June 04, 2011, 10:15:07 PM
That Posey injury was pretty unfortunate, especially considering I had him in 2 fantasy leagues :cry:, but I think there is a lot of overreacting to it.  I can't believe real baseball people like Buster Olney is calling for rule changes to avoid plays at the plate based on one unfortunate result of one play.  They have been blocking the plate for decades, if not longer, and now we need to change it? :rolleyes:

Blocking the plate is, and always has been, against the rules, just as blocking any other base is against the rules.

Quote7.06 When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal "Obstruction."
. . . (b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no
further action is possible. The umpire shall then call "Time" and impose such
penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction . . . NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

For some reason, the umpires do not enforce the rules as written, but rather accept the customary practice whereby the catcher sets up physically obstructing the plate.    Thus, there is no need for any change.  The umpires just need to enforce the rule as written - which would mean automatically calling any runner safe on a play where the catcher sets up in front of the plate. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2011, 10:43:05 AM
Quote from: sbr on June 04, 2011, 10:15:07 PM
That Posey injury was pretty unfortunate, especially considering I had him in 2 fantasy leagues :cry:, but I think there is a lot of overreacting to it.  I can't believe real baseball people like Buster Olney is calling for rule changes to avoid plays at the plate based on one unfortunate result of one play.  They have been blocking the plate for decades, if not longer, and now we need to change it? :rolleyes:

Blocking the plate is, and always has been, against the rules, just as blocking any other base is against the rules.

Quote7.06 When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal “Obstruction.”
. . . (b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no
further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such
penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction . . . NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

For some reason, the umpires do not enforce the rules as written, but rather accept the customary practice whereby the catcher sets up physically obstructing the plate.    Thus, there is no need for any change.  The umpires just need to enforce the rule as written - which would mean automatically calling any runner safe on a play where the catcher sets up in front of the plate. 

Yep. 

I have no idea why the umps don't enforce this one.  Based on some things I've read, they used to do so, but quit enforcing it at some point, apparantly in the 50's.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on June 08, 2011, 08:09:56 PM
I have no idea why the umps don't enforce this one. 

Because those runner/catcher collisions add a bit of much-needed drama to the game.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 08, 2011, 08:15:56 PM
Because those runner/catcher collisions add a bit of much-needed drama to the game.

Eh?  When the outcome of the game is really critical every moment is dramatic.  If it is not then baserunners running over a catcher once every 50 games or so is not going to make it so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

QuoteThe Pirates evened their record this late in the season for the first time since also being 30-30 on June 11, 2005. Pittsburgh has won four of five and six of eight.

:w00t:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on June 09, 2011, 12:09:16 AM
QuoteThe Pirates evened their record this late in the season for the first time since also being 30-30 on June 11, 2005. Pittsburgh has won four of five and six of eight.

:w00t:

Now, can they stay even for a hundred more?  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I find your lack of faith ... justified. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

At least one feel-good story out of MLB this week--

QuoteARLINGTON -- Georgia outfielder Johnathan Taylor was on the fast track to the major leagues. He could chase balls down in gaps with ease, and he hit .312 in 117 career games with the Bulldogs.

But his life changed dramatically on March 6 when he collided with a teammate in the outfield. Taylor broke his neck and was paralyzed from the waist down.

On Wednesday, the Rangers selected Taylor in the 33rd round of baseball's draft.

"I think it was Kip Fagg's idea," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said of the team's director of amateur scouting. "Kip and [Georgia area scout] Ryan Coe. They mentioned it to me a couple of days ago. It is a classy move on their part."

Taylor collided with teammate Zach Cone on the play. The Rangers drafted Cone on Monday with the 37th overall selection.

"We felt like it was the right thing to do," Fagg said. "Zach is coming into our family now and J.T. and him were really tight. We thought it was the right thing to do from the family aspect of it. He's a good kid. He probably had a chance to play professional baseball."

When Fagg and others from the scouting department visited Cone in Georgia they gave him a Rangers jersey for Taylor that was signed by the team, and asked him to deliver it to his teammate.

"This was truly a classy move and a great gesture on the part of the Texas Rangers organization," Georgia coach David Perno said in a statement. "J.T. is definitely a player worthy of getting drafted. When I talked to him after he got the call, he was in the middle of his rehabilitation work, laughing and having a good time and was thrilled to be drafted."

Valmy

That was so horrible.  Cone has never been the same either.  :(

Strix

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2011, 10:30:39 PM

Eh?  When the outcome of the game is really critical every moment is dramatic.  If it is not then baserunners running over a catcher once every 50 games or so is not going to make it so.

I still remember when Bo Jackson ran over Rick Dempsey. That was very dramatic and exciting to watch (unless you are Dempsey).
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: Strix on June 10, 2011, 12:45:50 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2011, 10:30:39 PM

I still remember when Bo Jackson ran over Rick Dempsey. That was very dramatic and exciting to watch (unless you are Dempsey).

I remember when Bo Jackson ran over Brian Bosworth.  That was fantastic.  I don't remember the Dempsey play, I will have to browse YouTube tonight after work.

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on June 10, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

I still remember that deal when he ran up the wall to make that catch in the outfield. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive