Arizona outlaws abortions based on race and sex

Started by jimmy olsen, March 30, 2011, 05:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Lawtalkers, what say you? Will the Supreme Court uphold or strike down this ban?

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2011/03/30/20110330arizona-abortions-race-sex-crime.html#ixzz1I4vFkqeJ
QuoteArizona outlaws abortions based on race, sex

by Ginger Rough - Mar. 30, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Arizona is the first state in the nation to make sex- or race-selection abortions a crime.

Gov. Jan Brewer on Tuesday signed into law House Bill 2443, which makes it a felony for a doctor to perform an abortion based on the sex or race of the fetus.

Opponents of the measure have questioned whether such a practice was really occurring.

Republican supporters had said that statistics show a high percentage of abortions are being sought by minority women and that abortion clinics intentionally locate in minority areas.

They said statistics show that some populations are increasingly seeking abortions based on the fetus' sex.

Democrats argue that statistics show that neither is happening.

Rep. Steve Montenegro, R-Litchfield Park, said he pushed the legislation because of fears women would choose to abort because they didn't like the gender or the race of the baby.

Rep. Katie Hobbs, D-Phoenix, said the only proof Montenegro offered was a magazine article on such practices in China and India.

The law allows the father of an aborted fetus - or, if the mother is a minor, the mother's parents - to take legal action against the doctor or other health-care provider who performed the abortion. If convicted of the felony, physicians would face up to seven years in jail and the loss of their medical license.

The governor did not comment on the bill before it reached her desk, but her spokesman, Matthew Benson, said Tuesday that the legislation is "consistent with her pro-life track record."

"Governor Brewer believes society has the responsibility to protect its most vulnerable, the unborn," he said.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

They abort because they don't like the race of the baby?
What sluts must they be to get into that situation...
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

I am glad that Arizona Republicans don't make any claims that smaller government is better, else this kind of lawmaking for the sake of adding laws to the books would be hypocritical.

I don't think such a law would be challenging on constitutional grounds, unless it would be on the grounds of vagueness (since "race" is a purely subjective thing).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Ridiculous. It's targeting doctors based on the motivations of the patient?   :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Extremely lame law. Personal freedom is not a priority in America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

So this law makes it illegal to...what exactly?  How can you possibly prove in trial why somebody wanted to have an abortion?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2011, 11:30:07 AM
So this law makes it illegal to...what exactly?  How can you possibly prove in trial why somebody wanted to have an abortion?

Pic of the father?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Seems like a totally meaningless law, that cannot possibly achieve even its rather dubious goals.

I wonder if the idea is just to get some kind of restriction out there, let it stand, then expand it later.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2011, 11:50:30 AM
Seems like a totally meaningless law, that cannot possibly achieve even its rather dubious goals.

I wonder if the idea is just to get some kind of restriction out there, let it stand, then expand it later.

I wish anti-abortion activists would instead try to find new and creative ways to prevent unwanted pregnancies and thus work to make the whole point of abortions moot.  Trying to use the power of the state without addressing the root cause of the problem seems destined to fail IMO.

Ah well maybe they do donate alot of money to those efforts as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 30, 2011, 05:40:00 AM

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on March 30, 2011, 05:40:00 AM

That does seem weird.  I'll let CdM make the obvious joke.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

QuoteRep. Katie Hobbs, D-Phoenix, said the only proof Montenegro offered was a magazine article on such practices in China and India.

Are India and China also Rep-R?

dps

I can't see how it could stand, frankly.  But as screwed up as our judiciary has become, who knows?

Zanza2

I thought you don't have to give a reason for abortion in America...?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza2 on March 30, 2011, 02:26:24 PM
I thought you don't have to give a reason for abortion in America...?

You don't.  The law makes no sense.