News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Watchmen (spoilers)

Started by Berkut, March 11, 2009, 09:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on March 11, 2009, 09:28:10 AMSo...I think I might get lynched by some fanbois, but....I think the movie ending is considerably better than the book.
I think you're right that the movie ending is much more connected to the story than the book ending.  However, the book ending has more of a grounding in reality:

Quote from: Ronald ReaganCannot swords be turned to plowshares? Can we and all nations not live in peace? In our obsession with antagonisms of the moment, we often forget how much unites all the members of humanity. Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world.

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: garbon on March 11, 2009, 04:02:45 PM
As I said in the old thread, the ending doesn't make sense to me as it doesn't seem like people would be cowed by fear for very long.  This wouldn't be everlasting peace as eventually people would stop being fearful of Dr. Manhattan.  Considering how public a figure he was (the news knew when he went to Mars), eventually people will figure out that he's gone.

*but* the was on mars and he came back to earth just to blow somep places up... he can do it when ever he wants.

And in 1985 people thought the only problem in the world was USvsUSSR

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: Neil on March 11, 2009, 03:41:29 PM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 11, 2009, 03:28:57 PM
And I don't understand how can somebody said that Ozzy was the "good guy"... He did this all to make money rebuiling the world...
Probably not.  After all, he was already the wealthiest human being on the planet.

Greed is never ending

garbon

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 11, 2009, 06:15:35 PM
*but* the was on mars and he came back to earth just to blow somep places up... he can do it when ever he wants.

But they knew he was on mars.  How long do you think people would sit around wondering where he is? At the very most, I could see people being afraid until knowledge of Dr. Manhattan passes out of living memory.  Is that long enough to justify the many slaughtered all at once?  (I also don't really see that as a realistic timeline anyway, as there will always be rogue dissenting groups...I simply don't see how this would really lead to a permanently united earth.)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: garbon on March 11, 2009, 06:18:53 PM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 11, 2009, 06:15:35 PM

Again, in 1985 they thought world peace would happen if USA and USSR were in Peace.

They could try not to wage war, but they would sooner or later fight again.

And Veit, probably just wanted to make money from the reconstruction and this way trying to enter into the communist block ( an whole new market)
But they knew he was on mars.  How long do you think people would sit around wondering where he is? At the very most, I could see people being afraid until knowledge of Dr. Manhattan passes out of living memory.  Is that long enough to justify the many slaughtered all at once?  (I also don't really see that as a realistic timeline anyway, as there will always be rogue dissenting groups...I simply don't see how this would really lead to a permanently united earth.)

garbon

Forgiving the quoting error (I made one myself recently), that still doesn't make much sense...from the vein of Manhattan and the other Watchmen were conflicted about giving up Ozy's deception.  War would inevitably come again, although perhaps cooler heads vis-a-vis nuclear warfare would prevail.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.