Vermont House Passes Single Payer Health Plan Bill

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2011, 09:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2011, 12:41:56 PM
Is Fate for universal health care?

You know bro, there are no real penalties for addressing Fate directly. :mellow:

I just quoted one of his posts and I'm still alive.

Eddie Teach

The penalty is that he attracts grumbler's attention.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2011, 12:53:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2011, 12:41:56 PM
Is Fate for universal health care?

You know bro, there are no real penalties for addressing Fate directly. :mellow:

I just quoted one of his posts and I'm still alive.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Of course, Canadians have bags of milk. Do we really want to copy a nation that does that?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2011, 12:35:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2011, 12:32:43 PM
Indeed.  The structure of the US insurance system is far more damaging, as is the US legal culture.
Why is it that the left never brings that up whenever they say "the US is the only country in the developed world that does it this way?   :P
Because the only hope for public health care in the US on a federal level is through the Democratic Party.  You have absolutely no chance of convincing the Democrats to do anything that the trial lawyers don't want them to do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Fate on March 27, 2011, 08:30:47 AM
It's pretty tough to be a Canadian Family Practice doc. You have a higher salary on average than your American counterpart and you have substantially lower malpractice insurance costs. Single payer = doctor poverty! Oh yeah, and death panels!
I don't think our docs have higher salary on average than their american counterparts.

EDIT: Found data.
US: 121k$ to 165k$
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Family_or_General_Practitioner/Salary

Canada: 98k$ to 160k$
http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Family_or_General_Practitioner/Salary
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

My take:
Vermont won't see a reduction in health care costs, unless it starts making hard choices.
Malpractice insurance costs won't go down, they are irrelevant in this scenario.

The real effects will be when the State enforce a cap on doctors, nurses and other professionals to maintain the budget afloat.  And then, when they start asking for quotas, to avoid spending too much money.

Having an Health Department to coordinate the efforts of all agents in this sector is a good idea.  Having health care costs covered for the poorer elements of society is a good thing.

I remain unconvinced, as per financial insurance theory that a single payer solution is automatically the best.

If private clinics are allowed, and doctors allowed to practice in both private&public sectors, it could work.  If they do it the Canadian way, they're fucked beyond what they could imagine in their worst case scenario.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2011, 01:07:22 PM
The penalty is that he attracts grumbler's attention.  :lol:
Where is Grumbler by the way? Haven't seen him in a while.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 27, 2011, 05:09:49 PM
I hear he was tossed into the nursing home.
Raz and Grumbler disappeared at the same time! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2011, 02:12:19 PMIf private clinics are allowed, and doctors allowed to practice in both private&public sectors, it could work.  If they do it the Canadian way, they're fucked beyond what they could imagine in their worst case scenario.
Aren't doctors allowed in private practice in Canada? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!