Steven Seagal & Sherrif Arpaio Raid House With Self Propelled Gun

Started by jimmy olsen, March 24, 2011, 11:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 05:23:54 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 25, 2011, 04:45:15 PM
I am merely commenting on Arpaio's apparent penchant for conspicuously painting his own name on county property.

The "flames" paint job on the gun is also a high class touch.

No doubt.  If you want to one-up your neighbor's custom Harley, I guess this is one way to do it.  Sheriffs seem to generally like to put their name on county property, though.

A few years ago in Delaware the three county sheriffs raised a big stink about being ordered by the state to remove the lights from their cruisers.  The thing is, since Delaware has county police departments, sheriffs have no law enforcement role-- their main duty is holding auctions for seized or foreclosed property.  But they still wanted their lights or they just wouldn't have felt like sheriffs :D
Pfft, they can do things like they do here in New Jersey, and give multiple police departments jurisdiction.  Where I live,  Jersey City PD, Port Authority PD, Hudson County Sheriff Department, New Jersey Transit Police Department, and New Jersey State Police all have presence in official capacity.

MadImmortalMan

Sheriff is still the highest-ranking publicly elected law enforcement official. As such, no police chief ought to be able to deny them a law enforcement role if they want to get involved.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 25, 2011, 04:58:20 PM
Actually, what leaps to mind about that photo is that it is exactly what you would expect to see if an 11 year old boy Timmay were made sheriff of a major US county.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2011, 06:18:32 PM
Sheriff is still the highest-ranking publicly elected law enforcement official. As such, no police chief ought to be able to deny them a law enforcement role if they want to get involved.
Don't sheriffs typically have jurisdiction in unincorporated places by default?  In densely populated states, that can be nowhere.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2011, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2011, 06:18:32 PM
Don't sheriffs typically have jurisdiction in unincorporated places by default?  In densely populated states, that can be nowhere.

Where I live, the Sheriff has jurisdiction over the whole county. Both the incorporated and unincorporated bits.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 05:26:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2011, 05:10:21 PM
I would have painted it jet black.

I would have put zimmerit paste on it & painted it gray :ph34r:
Meh.  A mural of bunnies and some flowers. 
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 05:09:00 PM
One thing?  He wouldn't shut up for weeks.  But he's been media-whoring since the hub-bub around last year's Arizona anti-illegal immigration law.

Never heard of the guy.

Arpaio's the one who dresses prisoners up in pink isn't he?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2011, 11:53:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 05:09:00 PM
One thing?  He wouldn't shut up for weeks.  But he's been media-whoring since the hub-bub around last year's Arizona anti-illegal immigration law.

Never heard of the guy.

Arpaio's the one who dresses prisoners up in pink isn't he?

Yeah, and makes pre-trial prisoners wear "Not Convicted" shirts.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

And here comes the lawsuit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/08/31/actor-steven-seagal-sued-for-driving-tank-into-arizona-home-killing-puppy/

QuoteActor Steven Seagal Sued for Driving Tank into Arizona Home, Killing Puppy

The story of Steven Seagal accompanying Sheriff Joe Arpaio's raid on an Arizona man suspected of cock-fighting seems almost humorous. Almost, that is, until you think about police driving into your own home with a tank and killing your dog, which is what happened when Seagal drove a tank into Jesus Llovera's house.

Seagal told a local radio station that animal cruelty was one of his pet peeves, and since the bust was an animal cruelty bust – which apparently requires the use of several armored cars, a tank, and dozens of sheriff's deputies in full riot gear – Seagal decided to go along for the ride...and kill hundreds of roosters and a puppy in the process.

So much for animal cruelty. It turns out, of course, that Seagal was just joining the ranks of reality TV stars, blending the line between reality and television, and the line between entertainment and justice. And now he's being sued to the tune of $100,000 by Llovera, who is also demanding a written apology from Seagal to his children for killing their puppy.

Seagal has also accompanied Arpaio's sheriffs in cracking down on illegal immigrants. I guess being a tough guy in the movies is just never enough.

As Sean O'Neal points out, "Here's hoping that Steven Seagal, puppy-killer, never meets Steven Seagal, guy from Out For Justice, because that dude would be pissed." Now that would be poetic justice, which is more than we can say for the faux justice Arpaio and Seagal handed out for the TV cameras.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Perhaps you need armour if you have come to arrest Jesus.

I mean, the first time he went quietly, and look what happened to him. This time, he's pissed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I'm still in disbelief that someone like Arpaio hasn't been brought down yet.  I guess that says a lot about Arizona, that a sheriff intent on running a police state is one of the most powerful politicians there.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2011, 08:26:29 AM
I'm still in disbelief that someone like Arpaio hasn't been brought down yet.  I guess that says a lot about Arizona, that a sheriff intent on running a police state is one of the most powerful politicians there.

The guy has an amazing knack for getting publicity and attracting fame.  He is a celebrity and Americans love those people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2011, 08:28:03 AM
The guy has an amazing knack for getting publicity and attracting fame.  He is an celebrity idiot and Americans love those people.
:P

DontSayBanana

How the hell did a moron like Arpaio get cleared to use an SPG in a residential area, anyway?  Seems like some restrictions on using military-grade hardware in residential areas without orders from higher up are kind of a no-brainer...
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 02, 2011, 09:30:45 AM
How the hell did a moron like Arpaio get cleared to use an SPG in a residential area, anyway?  Seems like some restrictions on using military-grade hardware in residential areas without orders from higher up are kind of a no-brainer...

He is the higher-up....
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."