News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2016, 08:05:43 AM
How was it choosing hope over fear.  Based on media reports, the leave side was motivated significantly by fear of immigration and globalization.  I can understand Kenney trying to appeal to the old Reformers by going the fear of immigration route, but I don't understand a politician who has aspirations to lead a province dependent on international oil exports to be anti globalization.

Or perhaps it is just another right wing politician mimicking what others on the right are saying without really understanding how the issues impact his own province.

Jason Kenney was the Immigration Minister for a number of years.  He single-handedly was responsible for Conservatives reach-out to immigrant voters.

It is completely without merit to accuse him of bigotry.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2016, 10:20:28 PMbut the EU is not a fabulous institution.
so, now, you understand separatists? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2016, 09:04:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2016, 08:05:43 AM
How was it choosing hope over fear.  Based on media reports, the leave side was motivated significantly by fear of immigration and globalization.  I can understand Kenney trying to appeal to the old Reformers by going the fear of immigration route, but I don't understand a politician who has aspirations to lead a province dependent on international oil exports to be anti globalization.

Or perhaps it is just another right wing politician mimicking what others on the right are saying without really understanding how the issues impact his own province.

Jason Kenney was the Immigration Minister for a number of years.  He single-handedly was responsible for Conservatives reach-out to immigrant voters.

It is completely without merit to accuse him of bigotry.

You may not entirely understand the Conservative immigration policies.

Barrister

Grey Fox

Funny slogan, flagrant disregard for history.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

I for one am pleased to see the Conservative Party embrace LGBT issues. I prefer having a Conservative Party I could see myself voting for, than one that is uniformly terrible.

Barrister

I just liked the "Because it's the current year" slogan. :)

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2016, 03:24:24 PM
I just liked the "Because it's the current year" slogan. :)

Yeah. I guess it'd be bad form to quote Trudeau verbatim :)

Barrister

So there was an interesting NYT story over the weekend about Canada's resettlement of Syrian refugees.  It's a pretty good article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/americas/canada-syrian-refugees.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

Then today I wound up reading a link from Vox, that takes the NYT article and goes off on a long exercise in back-slapping about how kind and tolerant Canadians are.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/8/11879482/ramadan-justin-trudeau-canada

Just wait on here.  I love my country as much as the next guy - probably more so even.  But let's not get too self-congratulatory.  The reason we can be so welcoming of refugees is due to our geography.  We're a long, long way from any place that actually generates refugees.   We have no real problem with illegal immigration.

And of course the numbers of refugees we're taking in pales in comparison with Europe, and pales when compared to the number of illegal immigrants the US gets.

Even Australia, so remote it is on its own continent, gets more refugees and asylum seekers arriving on its shores than we do.

Jacob

Yeah, we have some advantages and there's some luxury in our position. And yeah, some people are getting a little to vociferously smug about it. The bottom line, though, is that it's a good thing and once in a while it's alright to celebrate that.

Admiral Yi

I'm with Beeb.  Take a million Syrians then smug it up all you want.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2016, 06:25:46 PM

Taking more Syrian refugees than the US and not routinely having random middle easterners violently arrested for wearing traditional garb is sufficient condition to be a little smug, even if the Guardian paeans to Canadian niceness are a little overwrought in that Guardian way.

It's true that much of the positive aspects are as predicated on geography as anything else, but it doesn't make them any less positive.

Monoriu

Canadians are indeed kind and tolerant. 

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2016, 04:51:09 PM
And of course the numbers of refugees we're taking in pales in comparison with Europe, and pales when compared to the number of illegal immigrants the US gets.

Even Australia, so remote it is on its own continent, gets more refugees and asylum seekers arriving on its shores than we do.
We can barely keep up with what we get.  Refugees depend on local charities and individual acts to be settled properly.  Those arriving in Quebec city had not furnitures, medias organized themselves to help collect some basic furnitures.

In many places, the cities have developped resources to welcome immigrants, but they ain't coming, caught up in Federal bureaucracy.

Our military bases were renovated at extra costs and never used because it was still not approriate to house people there when it was needed (remember what many told me when I raised this the first time? :) ).

Fuck that Liberal bullshit.  All Trudeau does is pander to the camera to get extra votes.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2016, 06:33:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2016, 06:25:46 PM

Taking more Syrian refugees than the US and not routinely having random middle easterners violently arrested for wearing traditional garb is sufficient condition to be a little smug, even if the Guardian paeans to Canadian niceness are a little overwrought in that Guardian way.

It's true that much of the positive aspects are as predicated on geography as anything else, but it doesn't make them any less positive.

We only had 3 terrorist attacks with 2 casualties on our soil.  Wait 'til we have a few hundred in a couple of shots, then we'll see how tolerant Canada really is.
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/out-of-sight-out-of-mind-2/