And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2016, 12:28:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2016, 12:21:02 PM
I don't like the new version actually chosen, but I won't lose any sleep over it either.  ;) I just think it doesn't sound "right" at all. It is jarring to have "updated" language in a song that is full of archaisms - to start with, "O, Canada" is itself archaic (who starts anything with "O" these days?). Never mind the "stand on guard for thee". If you are going to use "thee" you really ought to use "thou".

I start sentences with "O" every day, though it's usually followed by the person's name... so not quite in the same way as the anthem.

I start at least one sentence with, O almost every day.  Sometimes many sentences.  Given some of my co-workers, particularly at work.  "Oh, shit."

Barrister

Jason Kenney is seriously considering leaving Federal politics and running for leader of the Alberta PCs, with an overall goal of merging with Wildrose.

:hmm:

I've got a lot of time for Jason Kenney.  I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jason-kenney-tom-flanagan-more-than-trial-balloon-1.3647342

Now I'd tend to prefer he was leader of the Federal party, but I think he's concluded that there's little appetite for another former Reform, calgary-based leader.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

As someone put it elsewhere - he may have calculated that the road to power is shorter in Alberta provincial politics compared to federally.

Makes sense to me. I reckon the NDP is out in the next election, unless the various conservative factions make a hash of it. Conversely, Trudeau probably has a pretty good shot at at least 8-12 years.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 22, 2016, 03:52:16 PM
As someone put it elsewhere - he may have calculated that the road to power is shorter in Alberta provincial politics compared to federally.

Makes sense to me. I reckon the NDP is out in the next election, unless the various conservative factions make a hash of it. Conversely, Trudeau probably has a pretty good shot at at least 8-12 years.

While I like Trudeau's chances more than Notleys, I don't think it's quite as simple as "NDP is out, Trudeau will probably be in 8-12".

The NDP is having a touch time of it, due mostly to the terrible economy.  But on the other hand they have managed to coalesce all left-wing support behind themselves.  Before they'd split that vote with the Liberals.  And of course now the right-wing is split between Wildrose and the PCs.  There is a lot of bad blood there, in particular with what happened before the last election.

As for the federal Liberals, on the one hand I think his act is going to grow tiresome, but mostly it's going to depend (as it always does) on how the economy is doing.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2016, 04:03:56 PM
While I like Trudeau's chances more than Notleys, I don't think it's quite as simple as "NDP is out, Trudeau will probably be in 8-12".

The NDP is having a touch time of it, due mostly to the terrible economy.  But on the other hand they have managed to coalesce all left-wing support behind themselves.  Before they'd split that vote with the Liberals.  And of course now the right-wing is split between Wildrose and the PCs.  There is a lot of bad blood there, in particular with what happened before the last election.

As for the federal Liberals, on the one hand I think his act is going to grow tiresome, but mostly it's going to depend (as it always does) on how the economy is doing.

Fair enough, it was definitely a simplification. There are details and challenges involved in either scenario.

Barrister

Trudeau is also getting an easy ride because both the Conservatives and NDP have no leaders.  Once leadership for both parties is set they'll be better able to project themselves as an alternative government.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2016, 04:10:44 PM
Trudeau is also getting an easy ride because both the Conservatives and NDP have no leaders.  Once leadership for both parties is set they'll be better able to project themselves as an alternative government.

For sure. Generally, though, single term governments are pretty rare in federal politics.

Barrister

I suppose the real wildcard though is electoral reform.  Hard to say what anyone's chances are until we know what the rules of the game will be.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2016, 04:48:50 PM
I suppose the real wildcard though is electoral reform.  Hard to say what anyone's chances are until we know what the rules of the game will be.

Good point.

Jacob

Re: Jason Kenney, apparently he thinks the Brexit vote was a good thing:
Quote from: Kenney on twitterJason Kenney
Jason Kenney – Verified account ‏@jkenney

Congratulations to the British people on choosing hope over fear by embracing a confident, sovereign future, open to the world! #Brexit

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2016, 08:30:59 PM

Congratulations to the British people on choosing hope over fear by embracing a confident, sovereign future, open to the world! #Brexit

Wow

Can you give some insight into this nonsense BB?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2016, 09:09:09 PM

Wow

Jason Kenney thinks Brexit is a good idea. :mellow:

I'm of two minds on the subject myself.  I probably would have chickened out and voted Remain if I lived there, but the EU is not a fabulous institution.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2016, 10:20:28 PM
I probably would have chickened out and voted Remain if I lived there, but the EU is not a fabulous institution.

It does provide lots of benefits and the UK already opted out most of the bad parts. Just saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

The EU should rename itself as Earth's Union, and Canada should join. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2016, 10:20:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2016, 09:09:09 PM

Jason Kenney thinks Brexit is a good idea. :mellow:

I'm of two minds on the subject myself.  I probably would have chickened out and voted Remain if I lived there, but the EU is not a fabulous institution.

How was it choosing hope over fear.  Based on media reports, the leave side was motivated significantly by fear of immigration and globalization.  I can understand Kenney trying to appeal to the old Reformers by going the fear of immigration route, but I don't understand a politician who has aspirations to lead a province dependent on international oil exports to be anti globalization.

Or perhaps it is just another right wing politician mimicking what others on the right are saying without really understanding how the issues impact his own province.