News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I know about opportunity cost.  But that is a choice both partie make.  She may seek other arrangements, she is not pressured into your arrangement.  You could decide not to marry and not be subject to this kind of law.  The State should not intervene in this.  It breaks many valuable enterprises for no good reasons and encourage one of the spouse to be dependant to the other rather than seek equality.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2016, 04:18:55 PM
I know about opportunity cost.  But that is a choice both partie make.  She may seek other arrangements, she is not pressured into your arrangement.  You could decide not to marry and not be subject to this kind of law.  The State should not intervene in this.  It breaks many valuable enterprises for no good reasons and encourage one of the spouse to be dependant to the other rather than seek equality.

So that's the basis of your objection, and not that it is an "anachronism".

I'd say, rather, that it encourages couples to make economically wise decisions for maximizing total value, while at the same time forming families - both of which society definitely has an interest in promoting. 

The notion that society would be better off if everyone formed little self-reliant libertarian communes of one is, to say the least, not widely shared.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2016, 03:44:17 PM
A gay friend of mine got married in a unitarian church before it was legal. No legal marriage resulted.

I certainly attended my share of those sort of things. In fact in April I will be attending my first government blessed homosexual marriage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2016, 04:28:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2016, 03:44:17 PM
A gay friend of mine got married in a unitarian church before it was legal. No legal marriage resulted.

I certainly attended my share of those sort of things. In fact in April I will be attending my first government blessed homosexual marriage.

Once again, may I remark that the homophobic resistance to gay marriage never made any sense - even assuming one hated gays with a fiery passion?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 04, 2016, 04:32:44 PM
Once again, may I remark that the homophobic resistance to gay marriage never made any sense - even assuming one hated gays with a fiery passion?  ;)

They had their reasons. But the result was not so much that gays didn't get married it was just that their lives were arbitrarily made more difficult for petty reasons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

I am in favor for the elimination of state sanctioned marriage so yes, I am for religious ceremony not being filled if the parties don't want it to be.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2016, 09:39:36 AM
I am in favor for the elimination of state sanctioned marriage so yes, I am for religious ceremony not being filled if the parties don't want it to be.

I don't think it is that simple if the stronger party is doing it to weasel out of their obligations.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2016, 09:42:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2016, 09:39:36 AM

I don't think it is that simple if the stronger party is doing it to weasel out of their obligations.

What obligations? If its never filled, you don't have any obligations.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2016, 09:43:39 AM

The ones discussed in the article :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2016, 09:45:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2016, 09:43:39 AM

The ones discussed in the article :P

If you are not married then they don't apply.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2016, 11:40:27 AM

Right. So you get "married" but avoid the obligations by bailing on the civil marriage. Which is what I said originally.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

Right. So you get "married" but avoid the obligations by bailing on the civil marriage. Which is what I said originally.

Unless, of course, your state recognizes common law marriage in which case you get your religious but not civil marriage and after however long living together, the common law marriage kicks in.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2016, 12:17:19 PM

Unless, of course, your state recognizes common law marriage in which case you get your religious but not civil marriage and after however long living together, the common law marriage kicks in.

Isn't that another version of a state sanctioned marriage that GF opposes?  After all a "common law" marriage is something that is a legal relationship imposed by Statute.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2016, 12:17:19 PM

there's no such thing as common law here.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.