News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2015, 01:51:02 PM

QuoteI agree smoking while high is risky, stupid, and ought to be illegal. However, actually objectively examining the evidence, I cannot agree that the problem rises to the same level of significance as alcohol use, and the distorted, speculative, and plain incorrect reasoning of those with a vested interest in the status quo isn't convincing me that the problem rises to that level of significance.

you said smoking while high ;)

Also, you arrive at this conclusion without any evidence to support it but your own experience.  My own experience tells me I do not want a pot user anywhere near a gun or a car.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2015, 01:48:23 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here and speculate viper did not vote for any Liberal MPs.
My choice may have been different had I seen anyone I could trust to rightly govern the country in their party.  Granted, being Liberal, they start with 2.49 strikes on their account, but still.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2015, 02:06:33 PM

I just look forward to him playing one-on-one Basketball with Obama or something goofy like that. He seems the type.

I have no doubts he could participate with distinction in a "beer summit".  :beer:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2015, 02:03:57 PM
I'm assuming Trudeau is going to follow through on his comments to legalize pot (though I have faint hope grown-ups will convince him otherwise).
Power corp has heavily invested in medical marijuana.  Don't search everywhere for where the idea comes from.  They're an important supplier in Colorado.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2015, 02:10:01 PM

you said smoking while high ;)

:blush: :P

QuoteAlso, you arrive at this conclusion without any evidence to support it but your own experience.  My own experience tells me I do not want a pot user anywhere near a gun or a car.

Again, that would be a "no". See the reams of evidence I posted upthread.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2015, 02:06:33 PM
I just look forward to him playing one-on-one Basketball with Obama or something goofy like that. He seems the type.

That would be great!  Certainly not any more goofy than Reagan and Mulroney getting on stage at a gala event and singing When Irish Eyes are Smiling.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2015, 02:14:18 PM
the evidence is that a pot user would be likely to know he's impaired and as such take precautions.  I said drunk drivers used this rational many years ago, until we invested billions of dollars in targetted ads and heavier sentence.  Besides, while I know most people can drive ok with a drink or two, I doubt you can drive after smoking a joint, or even a few puffs.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2015, 02:16:28 PM
the evidence is that a pot user would be likely to know he's impaired and as such take precautions.  I said drunk drivers used this rational many years ago, until we invested billions of dollars in targetted ads and heavier sentence.  Besides, while I know most people can drive ok with a drink or two, I doubt you can drive after smoking a joint, or even a few puffs.

It's not the "people saying it" that's significant; it is the "expert opinions" and "studies demonstrate". In short, evidence rather than mere anecdote.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2015, 02:07:54 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2015, 01:47:08 PM
You did. They are his MPs.
The guys who wrote the program work for Power Corp.  Last I checked, they weren't on the ballot.
I like politicians with brains, not pretty boys (or girls) easily manipulated.

You like politicians whose policies agree with your particular preferences.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2015, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2015, 02:07:54 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2015, 01:47:08 PM
You did. They are his MPs.
The guys who wrote the program work for Power Corp.  Last I checked, they weren't on the ballot.
I like politicians with brains, not pretty boys (or girls) easily manipulated.

You like politicians whose policies agree with your particular preferences.
Only if I feel they are intelligent.  Besides, I disagree with a number of Conservative's policies, past&present.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2015, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2015, 02:16:28 PM

It's not the "people saying it" that's significant; it is the "expert opinions" and "studies demonstrate". In short, evidence rather than mere anecdote.
evidence gathered by interviewing people.  We are closer to psychology than real science.

crazy canuck

Now that we have the BoC economic update it turns out stimulus spending is going to be required in any event.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2015, 08:32:38 PM
Now that we have the BoC economic update it turns out stimulus spending is going to be required in any event.

What's the story?

Jacob

In transition news:
Quote from: A Globe and Mail Article somewhere on the internetMr. Trudeau met with defeated Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Ottawa's Langevin Block Wednesday to discuss transition, the Prime Minister's Office said. A Liberal spokesman called the discussion "very positive and generous." Mr. Trudeau's cabinet will be sworn in Nov. 4.

That reflects well on Harper, IMO.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2015, 10:58:14 PM
In transition news:
Quote from: A Globe and Mail Article somewhere on the internetMr. Trudeau met with defeated Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Ottawa's Langevin Block Wednesday to discuss transition, the Prime Minister's Office said. A Liberal spokesman called the discussion "very positive and generous." Mr. Trudeau's cabinet will be sworn in Nov. 4.

That reflects well on Harper, IMO.
if you expected something else, maybe your expectations were too low?  :hmm: