News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 12:39:26 PM
The Bloc cannot compete with a left wing party that might win the whole thing.

I never realized how dominant Ontario was in Canadian politics.

You haven't been paying attention then.  :contract:

Yup, it has just over one third of all the seats.  It would be like combining California, New York, Florida and Texas into one mega-state for it's proportional impact.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2015, 12:33:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2015, 12:29:25 PM
You can see the polls so far:
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/poll-tracker/2015/index.html

I learned my lesson - I'm not saying the NDP can't or won't win.   :Embarrass:

All I'm saying is that it is impossible for both the NDP and the BQ to do well at the same time.  They are competing for the same voters in Quebec.

And your link suggests the BQ will, at present, get zero seats.
I don't think the Bloc will have more than 4-5 MPs.

And Valmy is right, the Bloc can't competer with a left-wing party than might win.   Quebecers are mostly camped to the left of the political spectrum.  The Bloc's appeal may have been a protest vote at first, under Bouchard, but ever since Duceppe replaced him it's been clearly leaning to the left, and even more with the Conservatives come back.

The moment the NPD appeared as a credible alternative, most of the left abandonned the Bloc.  The big Quebec unions have recently ditched the Bloc in favour of the NDP (or officially "the candidate who stands the most chances of beating Harper" except the Liberal Party candidate, of course.)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I agree with BB.  There cannot be both a BQ win in Quebec and an NDP victory.  If polls start showing the NDP are losing seats in Quebec the anybody but the Conservatives voters will likely shift to the Liberals.

Malthus

Never did hear about whether your hat was tasty.  :hmm:

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2015, 04:13:31 PM

All I could taste were my bitter, bitter tears. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2015, 04:14:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2015, 04:13:31 PM

All I could taste were my bitter, bitter tears. :(

I have not yet tasted my beer

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 12:39:26 PM
The Bloc cannot compete with a left wing party that might win the whole thing.

I never realized how dominant Ontario was in Canadian politics.

Us Ontarians don't really believe any other province matters at all
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

On a scale of 1-10 how much of an effect do you think Duffy will have on this election?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

To soon to say.  I think the critical thing is whether the reasons for decision are given prior to the election.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2015, 07:03:59 PM
On a scale of 1-10 how much of an effect do you think Duffy will have on this election?

As far as scandals go, my prediction is that this one peaked too soon to have maximum impact on the election. So closer to the lower end of the scale.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

It sure seems like this is going to be a dark day for the Conservatives, but then I thought that was going to happen in the UK elections as well and instead the Tories won even more decisively than before. So what do I know?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2015, 07:58:43 AM
It sure seems like this is going to be a dark day for the Conservatives, but then I thought that was going to happen in the UK elections as well and instead the Tories won even more decisively than before. So what do I know?

In Canada, the fact that this is a true three-way race makes everything very unpredictable. For a while there, it looked like it might reduce down to a two-way race, with the Liberals completely knocked out of the running.

The real gamble I think is how the economy is trending when the election actually happens. The Cons have had scandals galore, but for them to lose the incumbent advantage, Canadians have to be convinced that they are bad managers. Even though it is less than fair, governments tend to get judged on that matter by how well the country is doing, even though their actual control over that is quite limited.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2015, 07:54:21 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2015, 07:03:59 PM

As far as scandals go, my prediction is that this one peaked too soon to have maximum impact on the election. So closer to the lower end of the scale.

That's why I think the date the findings of the Court are important.  Right now there is a mass of conflicting evidence so everyone can be reinforced in their own bias.  If the Court finds as a fact that the PMO or even the PM did something inappropriate then that might change the view of some Conservative supporters.  But right now the trial is not scheduled to end until after the election.

The facts which are not disputed have, as Malthus pointed out, been known for a long time and are already reflected in the polls.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2015, 08:15:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2015, 07:58:43 AM

In Canada, the fact that this is a true three-way race makes everything very unpredictable. For a while there, it looked like it might reduce down to a two-way race, with the Liberals completely knocked out of the running.

The real gamble I think is how the economy is trending when the election actually happens. The Cons have had scandals galore, but for them to lose the incumbent advantage, Canadians have to be convinced that they are bad managers. Even though it is less than fair, governments tend to get judged on that matter by how well the country is doing, even though their actual control over that is quite limited.

I agree with your second point.

In relation to the notion this is a three way race while the poll numbers look close you need to look at the regional breakdown.  The only reason the Liberals are close in the national polls is because of their strong support in the Maritimes.  The problem for the Liberals is there are relatively few seats there.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2015, 08:32:38 AM
I agree with your second point.

In relation to the notion this is a three way race while the poll numbers look close you need to look at the regional breakdown.  The only reason the Liberals are close in the national polls is because of their strong support in the Maritimes.  The problem for the Liberals is there are relatively few seats there.

You are probably right on that. I was just reacting, and maybe over-reacting, to the perception in the recent past that the Liberals had been rendered utterly inconsequential - to the point of wondering why the Cons even bothered to spend on attack ads against Trudeau. I guess they are hoping to shake disgruntled Liberal votes out of that (though I would have thought that if the Cons convince voters Trudeau is an empty suit, they are more likely to go NDP instead, making things worse for them!).