News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2015, 08:01:37 AM
I hope people see what a cynical Harper ploy this is.
Of course they do.  But the cynics voting for him will, of course, approve of him being cynical ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Because of regionalism, I have little choice but to vote Conservative.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on August 03, 2015, 07:05:10 PM

An almost 3 months long campaign - he's no doubt hoping people will simply vote Conservatives out of sheer exhaustion.  Yet another reason to get rid of them.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on August 03, 2015, 07:30:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 03, 2015, 07:05:10 PM
An almost 3 months long campaign - he's no doubt hoping people will simply vote Conservatives out of sheer exhaustion.  Yet another reason to get rid of them.
Even if I felt that the time was right to changeover a government, there really isn't much in the way of choice for my region.  Justin is, of course, a non-starter, and the NDP will do their best to help their home regions at the expense of mine.

Either way, I suppose it doesn't make much difference.  The future is looking grim.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on August 03, 2015, 07:38:54 PM

Even if I felt that the time was right to changeover a government, there really isn't much in the way of choice for my region.  Justin is, of course, a non-starter, and the NDP will do their best to help their home regions at the expense of mine.

Either way, I suppose it doesn't make much difference.  The future is looking grim.

I agree the NDP is dangerous.  However the Liberals are experienced and as for Justin, he's nothing but a pretty face with a name; his handlers will govern behind him - and at least we know them and how they operate.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2015, 08:01:37 AM
I hope people see what a cynical Harper ploy this is.

What's the cynical ploy?

viper37

8 LPC members of the riding Gaspésie switched to the NDP this morning.

It's looking like it'll be the end for the Libs under Trudeau Jr in Quebec, confined to Montreal's West island and a few anglo ridings near Gatineau.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 04, 2015, 10:28:50 AM

Was there a particular issue that caused them to switch?

edit: I know we are in early days, but I was a bit surprised that nobody mentioned climate change.  I wonder whether Obama's message will stimulate some discussion on the issue.

Drakken

It's looking like it'll be the end for the Libs under Trudeau Jr in Quebec, confined to Montreal's West island and a few anglo ridings near Gatineau.

Oh noes! 8 cardholders in a far-flung riding which has seldom voted Liberal since Trudeau the father have publicly left to join the NDP. Stop the presses! Clearly it means the Liberal Party of Canada is dying! :rolleyes:

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on August 04, 2015, 12:00:22 PM

Oh noes! 8 cardholders in a far-flung riding which has seldom voted Liberal since Trudeau the father have publicly left to join the NDP. Stop the presses! Clearly it means the Liberal Party of Canada is dying! :rolleyes:
The Libs were often 2nd base in this riding, so they stood a chance.
They ain't alone in switching to the NDP.  This is indicative of a larger tendancy.
8 members of a "far flung" riding, typical for Montrealers who can't see past Longueuil.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I am not sure why there is such a strong sarcastic reaction to Viper's post.  It isn't exactly the done thing for party members to switch parties just as an election is called.  I am more interested in knowing why they did it then discounting it as being meaningless without knowing more.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2015, 10:34:36 AM
They cited a lack of transparency.  They wanted an election for their candidate, believing the one Trudeau supported did not represent the "Liberal values" (whatever that is).  Had they had 2 more months before the campaign start, Trudeau might have indulged them.

But it's at least the 2nd (I think 3rd) time this is happenning recently.

What is indicative of a larger problem is that Liberals would be switching parties at this time, so close to the election.  If there is one party where loyalties are usually undivided (in public ;) )and all problems are handled outside of the media's ears, it's the Libs.  Traditionnaly, the leader has never had any problem imposing his candidate to to the locals.  In Montreal as well as in "far-flung" ridings.  Now, Trudeau's candidates are rejected and when he tries to impose them, people quit.

This totally atypical behavior for Quebec Liberals.

edit: I know we are in early days, but I was a bit surprised that nobody mentioned climate change.  I wonder whether Obama's message will stimulate some discussion on the issue.
it will come. remember we have 90 days of campaign.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2015, 12:08:19 PM
but LPC is dying.
Polls for Quebec only (as I specified Quebec):
February 16, 2015:  30.3%
August 2, 2015: 22.7%

But of course Drakken is right, there is no problem.

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2015, 10:34:36 AM

I have always been profoundly puzzled by Canada's position on global warming.  If global temperature rises, large areas in Canada will become livable, arable lands.  Canada and Russia are probably the two greatest beneficiaries of global warming.  So Canada should encourage more CO2 emissions.  Yet they seem to be doing the opposite.