News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2015, 05:14:22 PM
Then perhaps it might be a good idea to cleave the operation of the justice system away from the position of chief lawyer?

It is, that is generally the solicitor general.

The attorney general needs to have some legal knowledge or at least have a good Deputy who does.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 05:27:55 PM
Then perhaps it might be a good idea to cleave the operation of the justice system away from the position of chief lawyer?

The attorney general needs to have some legal knowledge or at least have a good Deputy who does.

Meh....if something comes up they can always google it, like we do.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

And the attorney general is responsible for the occult police force.  Got it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2015, 07:55:58 PM

Meh....if something comes up they can always google it, like we do.

:lol:

crazy canuck

The Alberta election has created an interesting effect here.  Local politicians with an NDP affiliation who had, prior to the election, been vehemently opposed to any pipeline expansion to facilitate Alberta oil are now moderating their comments considerably.  A good example is the Mayor of Burnaby who has been fighting Kinder Morgan tooth and nail in court proceedings to attempt to prevent a pipeline expansion through his municipality.  Today in an interview he didn't say anything negative about the pipeline expansion even though he was asked about it several times.  He deflected the question each time.

The left leaning political parties here have never had to contend with an NDP party in Alberta and they look a bit wrong footed now that they cannot simply rant about the evils of Conservative Alberta oil.  It will be interesting how the Federal NDP also adjusts to this new political reality.

My prediction is that if the Federal NDP handle this transition well people might look to them as the party who can develop needed energy infrastructure.  Only Nixon could go to China...

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2015, 11:13:27 AM
The Alberta election has created an interesting effect here.  Local politicians with an NDP affiliation who had, prior to the election, been vehemently opposed to any pipeline expansion to facilitate Alberta oil are now moderating their comments considerably.  A good example is the Mayor of Burnaby who has been fighting Kinder Morgan tooth and nail in court proceedings to attempt to prevent a pipeline expansion through his municipality.  Today in an interview he didn't say anything negative about the pipeline expansion even though he was asked about it several times.  He deflected the question each time.

The left leaning political parties here have never had to contend with an NDP party in Alberta and they look a bit wrong footed now that they cannot simply rant about the evils of Conservative Alberta oil.  It will be interesting how the Federal NDP also adjusts to this new political reality.

My prediction is that if the Federal NDP handle this transition well people might look to them as the party who can develop needed energy infrastructure.  Only Nixon could go to China...

That is interesting.

But what is also interesting is that Notley has said she's not going to bother lobbying in favour of pipelines.  It will be interesting to see if she changes her tune on that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2015, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2015, 11:13:27 AM

That is interesting.

But what is also interesting is that Notley has said she's not going to bother lobbying in favour of pipelines.  It will be interesting to see if she changes her tune on that.

Her position is a bit more nuanced than that.  She has expressed opposition to the Gateway project.  But she has expressed approval of the Kinder Morgan project - which is the thing that puts the Mayor of Burnaby in a difficult spot.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2015, 03:13:35 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/thomas-dang-20-youngest-ndp-mla-to-win-seat-in-alberta-1.3065249

My MLA. :rolleyes:

Hmm.  I just learned that my MLA, 20 year old Thomas Dang, is a member of Delta Upsilon (which, for those keeping track, is my fraternity).

:hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 11, 2015, 11:05:42 AM
Elizabeth May  :lol:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/05/10/elizabeth-may-apologizes-for-bizarre-press-gallery-dinner-speech.html

The worst part is not so much what she said during the speech but her excuse that she was overworked and tired.   She should have just taken the hit for not being funny.

Also I am surprised this is getting so much attention in the Press while Bill C-51 was passed with hardly a mention.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2015, 10:52:47 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2015, 11:49:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2015, 03:13:35 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/thomas-dang-20-youngest-ndp-mla-to-win-seat-in-alberta-1.3065249

My MLA. :rolleyes:

Hmm.  I just learned that my MLA, 20 year old Thomas Dang, is a member of Delta Upsilon (which, for those keeping track, is my fraternity).

:hmm:

So its all good then

I wouldn't go that far.  The problem is that he is an active undergraduate member of DU. :hmm: