News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2015, 10:23:32 AM
No amount is too much when helping families & especially when care of children is concerned.

While I appreciate the sentiment that is obviously untrue. Society has other priorities as well, you have to be wise when spending your limited resources.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Yes, like giving much less hydro-electricity away for free.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2015, 10:28:09 AM
So in the new budget the PCs are still going to run a $5 billion dollar deficit, but are also flat out raising the income tax rate.  :mad:

The good news is they are abandoning the flat tax.

Grey Fox

So in the new budget the PCs are still going to run a $5 billion dollar deficit, but are also flat out raising the income tax rate.  :mad:

:huh: What does the Alberta government use money for?!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2015, 10:34:15 AM

They pay their public employees the highest rates in the country - by a significant margin.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2015, 10:36:02 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2015, 10:34:15 AM

They pay their public employees the highest rates in the country - by a significant margin.

Maybe not now anymore :yeah:

Neil

You know, the budget wasn't really that bad.  One thing I would like to see, after the price of oil has rebounded, is an increase in royalty rates.  I think at this point it would be counterproductive.  I'm not wild about the health premiums, but at least they did them progressively, and they killed the flat tax.  Because of the way they're doing the health care thing, it's basically just a tax increase.

There was probably a bit of room to move on corporate tax rates as well, but the PCs weren't about to go there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2015, 10:33:47 AM

That's the terrible news, yes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2015, 10:58:48 AM

Why is a flat tax a good idea?

Admiral Yi

No amount is too much when helping families & especially when care of children is concerned.

Do you honestly believe this or are you just goofing around?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2015, 11:04:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2015, 10:58:48 AM

Why is a flat tax a good idea?

Why penalize success?  Why create a disincentive to higher incomes?

It's just such a non-conservative budget for them to bring in.  Increasing just about every tax they could think of (except a sales tax).  Bring back health care premiums (another tax).  No meaningful cuts to social spending.

I like to ask myself What would Ralph Klein have done if he was premier.  And it isn't this budget.

I just hope Wildrose can reinvent itself into something I can vote for in the next election.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

How does a progressive tax system create a "disincentive" to earn more money.  Do you really think high income earners say to themselves, "Well that's that.  I am not going to earn that extra 100k because I am going to have to pay an additional 2% income tax on that money".

Neil

Yeah, so long as the marginal rate is less than 99%, I don't think that progressive taxation is much of a disincentive to increasing your income.  I know I had no qualms about going up a tax bracket.  More is still more, even if I have to give some of it up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2015, 11:05:32 AM

Do you honestly believe this or are you just goofing around?
I am flaky but today, I do. Tomorrow is/will be another thing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2015, 11:21:20 AM
Yeah, so long as the marginal rate is less than 99%, I don't think that progressive taxation is much of a disincentive to increasing your income.  I know I had no qualms about going up a tax bracket.  More is still more, even if I have to give some of it up.

Any income tax at all is a disincentive to labor because it increases the relative value of leisure.