News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 10:51:18 PM
From a country that has killed kings and priests, it's not quite hyperbole.  I don't know how to respond to the rest of your stuff because the formatting is weird and your response are often periods.  For instance I don't understand what "True.  I used an ." is suppose to mean.  The rest of it was irrelevant nobody is talking about human sacrifice.  For the record public is anything that is not private, that is something that government can't have access to without a warrant.  If make a statement on the street it a public statement.  If I make a statement in my house, it is a private statement.  Therefore outside of an edifice is public.  Unlike you I have no interest in using force of law to make everyone the same.  Or really anything to make everyone the same.  I don't see conformity as a virtue.  This might be some kind of weird francophone thing.

Well I am shocked by your wide sweeping condemnation and announcement of moral superiority of people thousands of miles away.  Everything is always black and white to you.  Strangely things right on your doorstep suddenly become gray.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 10:52:44 PM
So we conveniently just not count the murder and persecution of Revolutionary France?

I thought we were talking about France today not France in 1795.  I was talking about the more recent roots.  Certainly the legacy of the Revolution plays a part here but it had more to do with the memory of it.  And that is a whole different deal.

But again the Revolution is not the clownish caricature of barbarous Frenchmen drinking blood that you pain it as.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

No, my doorstep is still white.  It's been snowing lately.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 10:53:23 PM
The War of the Vendee seemed fairly top down.

Except I am not talking about the Vendee I am talking about things happening 100 years later.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2015, 10:55:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 10:52:44 PM
So we conveniently just not count the murder and persecution of Revolutionary France?

I thought we were talking about France today not France in 1795.  I was talking about the more recent roots.  Certainly the legacy of the Revolution plays a part here.

But again the Revolution is not the clownish caricature of barbarous Frenchmen drinking blood that you pain it as.

I thought we were talking about France as a whole.  The French government did wage a bloody war in the Vendee right?  That's not something that you claim didn't happen.  The Soviet were very keen on it, and modeled themselves on those actions.  Lenin called the suppression of the Kuban Cossacks "The Cossack Vendee".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2015, 10:57:16 PM

Except I am not talking about the Vendee I am talking about things happening 100 years later.

Yes, you made it clear you wish to avoid the parts of the French history where they slaughtered people.  That's abit like saying the Soviet Union wasn't so bad if we look at the period of 1990-1991.  It is after all the most recent part of the history of that state.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 10:59:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2015, 10:57:16 PM

Yes, you made it clear you wish to avoid the parts of the French history where they slaughtered people.  That's abit like saying the Soviet Union wasn't so bad if we look at the period of 1990-1991.  It is after all the most recent part of the history of that state.
So, we judge countries today for their actions 200-250 years ago?  Want to try that with the US? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 10:59:27 PM

They slaughtered Protestants during the 16th century to.  I was discussing history relevant to what we are talking about.  But we have already discussed the Vendee in detail.  If the Muslims refused to be drafted in the military when France was invaded, and rose up in revolt then I suppose it might be relevant.  Or if we see evidence of mass slaughter going on in contemporary France.  And like I said conservative Catholicism had a huge comeback between 1800 and 1880 and yet there was not an Atheist driven mass slaughter of Catholic French people.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 20, 2015, 10:24:34 AM
So, we judge countries today for their actions 200-250 years ago?  Want to try that with the US? :)

The reason we are having problems with police shootings these days is explained by our destruction of the Iroquois Confederacy.

crazy canuck

It seems BC is the only Province with a balanced budget.  And the projection for the surplus was off.  instead of being $444-million it has been bumped up to $879 million.  Needless to say lots of people are making the case for spending that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-budget-2015-canada-s-only-province-in-the-black-1.2960956

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2015, 01:03:55 PM
It seems BC is the only Province with a balanced budget.  And the projection for the surplus was off.  instead of being $444-million it has been bumped up to $879 million.  Needless to say lots of people are making the case for spending that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-budget-2015-canada-s-only-province-in-the-black-1.2960956

Do you think it should be spent, or should we squirrel it away somewhere?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2015, 01:09:52 PM

Barrister

Good on you BC.

Meanwhile in Alberta...  :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

IIRC, the tax rates are pretty different from one province to the other?  and the debt to dgp ratio too?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2015, 01:09:52 PM

Are those the only alternatives?