News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 02:41:53 PMBut not our history.

As Malthus points out, people have been wearing kippahs in Montreal longer than this particular crucifix has been hanging.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2013, 03:26:05 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 02:41:53 PMBut not our history.
As Malthus points out, people have been wearing kippahs in Montreal longer than this particular crucifix has been hanging.
Doesn't matter.  It's still not our history.  Our history is the history of the majority, not the the isolated artifacts of the great age of the Empire.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 02:41:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2013, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 01:31:53 PMIt's stupid idea but they are in fact historical.
Well, people wearing kippah and turbans (for example) are pretty historical too.
But not our history.

Not sure what you mean by "our history".  Folks around here have been wearing kippah and turbans for about as long as there has been a place called Edmonton  ;)

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 03:40:07 PM
Not sure what you mean by "our history".  Folks around here have been wearing kippah and turbans for about as long as there has been a place called Edmonton  ;)
Longer.  Wherever there was an Imperial base, there were Sikhs.  Nevertheless, our history is Eurocentric, because civilization is Eurocentric.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 03:42:42 PM
Longer.  Wherever there was an Imperial base, there were Sikhs.  Nevertheless, our history is Eurocentric, because civilization is Eurocentric.

So is gay sex part of our history? There was a lot of buggery in the Empire.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2013, 01:31:53 PMIt's stupid idea but they are in fact historical.
Well, people wearing kippah and turbans (for example) are pretty historical too.
But not our history.

It seems that Edmonton's first Mosque opened in 1938, and sikh temple have been running in Alberta since the 1960s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 03:44:46 PM
But not our history.

It seems that Edmonton's first Mosque opened in 1938, and sikh temple have been running in Alberta since the 1960s.

That explains why Neil is so uninformed.  I said "around here" meaning the civilized part of Canada  :P

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 03:44:46 PMIt seems that Edmonton's first Mosque opened in 1938, and sikh temple have been running in Alberta since the 1960s.

You'll note that CC isn't in Edmonton, which may have some bearing on what he means by "here".

Neil

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 03:44:13 PM
Not really.  Gay sex was always bad, and is still evil today.  Allowing people to practice that sort of behavior without punishment was a terrible mistake.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2013, 03:52:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 03:44:46 PMIt seems that Edmonton's first Mosque opened in 1938, and sikh temple have been running in Alberta since the 1960s.

You'll note that CC isn't in Edmonton, which may have some bearing on what he means by "here".

:rolleyes:

I was aware of the point CC was making.  I was merely pointing out that even in Edmonton hijabs and kirpah's have a lengthy history.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Yes, but it isn't our history, because it's not about white folks.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 04:16:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 03:44:13 PM
Not really.  Gay sex was always bad, and is still evil today.  Allowing people to practice that sort of behavior without punishment was a terrible mistake.

So we're now saying bad things aren't part of our history?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 04:23:34 PM
Yes, but it isn't our history, because it's not about white folks.

Its surprising that you and Grallon dont get on better than you do.

Jacob

Read a piece by a Montreal journalist which says more or less what I was thinking as well - as risible as this charter is, it's pretty good politics.

It's unlikely to pass - being proposed by a minority government. It sharply positions the PQ as the defenders of Quebecois identity and it lines up the rest of Canada - pretty much unanimously condemning the proposed charter - in the usual role of "outsiders who don't understand Quebec and unfairly maligns it" so cherished by Viper and grallon. Marois is likely to politically benefit from her foray into state sanctioned bigotry as the narrative lurches on to a track that she's defined.

On the other hand, I'm pleased at the the response by the rest of Canada - from Trudeau (I think even CC will think his response was good) to the Harper government.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2013, 06:04:11 PM
Read a piece by a Montreal journalist which says more or less what I was thinking as well - as risible as this charter is, it's pretty good politics.

It's unlikely to pass - being proposed by a minority government. It sharply positions the PQ as the defenders of Quebecois identity and it lines up the rest of Canada - pretty much unanimously condemning the proposed charter - in the usual role of "outsiders who don't understand Quebec and unfairly maligns it" so cherished by Viper and grallon. Marois is likely to politically benefit from her foray into state sanctioned bigotry as the narrative lurches on to a track that she's defined.

Sad. You'd hope people would be against shows of bigotry.