News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 01:04:51 PM
What's your position on the Northern Gateway? Yes/ No/ wait for the review?

I am waiting for the review.  There is a lot of information coming from both sides as to what the potential risks are.  I think both sides are suspect given they both have obvious axes to grind.

Jacob

Looks like your Liberals will remain in power CC, which should make you happy  :bowler:

As of this moment, however, Ms. Clark is trailing by a little over 100 votes.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2013, 11:35:43 PM
Looks like your Liberals will remain in power CC, which should make you happy  :bowler:

As of this moment, however, Ms. Clark is trailing by a little over 100 votes.

Holy crap - that's surprising.

Not sure what I think about it.  I of course am a dedicated ideological foe to the NDP, but the BC Libs have certainly Not Impressed with their time in government...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I guess I don't get to see whether the NDP really would destroy the economy of the province like CC said.

Curious to got some analysis on why the pundits and pollsters were so off with their projections.

Neil

It's the same as the Alberta election.  Ultimately, things aren't really that bad, so why try some dangerous extremists?  Sure, people are mad about the corruption of the party and the fact that there's an incompetent woman in charge of the province, but it's better the irritant you know than the devil you don't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Now that is a relief!

One pollster has explained why they got it so wrong (a 14 point swing from what they were predicting) by explaining that the NDP polled well in the 18-35 age group and that the voting intention in that group was also strong but that the actual voting in that group didnt match up with the pollster's voting intention data.  ie the kids couldn't get off their social media devices long enough to vote.

Lucky thing too.

Josephus

LOL. I'm sure that's true.

Maybe future elections should be held on twitter :)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 15, 2013, 09:15:55 AM

Based on the quality of thought that goes into most twitter posts I would rather have the barrier of requiring at least some effort to vote.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2013, 10:10:38 AM
Based on the quality of thought that goes into most twitter posts I would rather have the barrier of requiring at least some effort to vote.

I"m surprised your familiar with most twitter posts....

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2013, 10:10:38 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 15, 2013, 09:15:55 AM

like typing a captcha? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Anyway, what about the Cons defeat in NFL by-election?  Will they learn from their mistake, clean their act, abandon monarchism, abandon centralism, start balancing the budget, stop being dicks in parliament and actually share info-real info with other MPs and parliament's officials, learn to cheat without getting caught or don't do it at all?  I do wonder...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Since when did a riding in Labradour become some kind of bell weather for the country?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2013, 05:34:18 PM
Since when did a riding in Labradour become some kind of bell weather for the country?
Since the Liberal has a new somewhat charimastic leader, even if empty when it comes to content, and he just won a by-election, something the previous Liberal did not do (outside of places where a pig in a red tie would win) since Harper has been elected, if I recall correctly?

Barrister

Since Labrador was previously held by a Conservative, a Liberal win certainly means something.  But does it mean something nationally?  Or was it a strong liberal candidate and a weak conservative one?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

He was weak because of previous illegal financing on his campaing, but he was the current MP and he was a minister.