News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2011, 05:24:24 PM
And Quebec produce hydroelectricty that competes with my oil.
Not really, no.  Using oil to produce electricy is moronic.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on September 10, 2011, 10:10:54 AM
You've never heard of an oil-fired power plant?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 10, 2011, 10:14:44 AM

I am sure he has.  But that doesnt change the fact that an oil-fired power plant is moronic if hydro is available.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2011, 12:14:28 PM
I am sure he has.  But that doesnt change the fact that an oil-fired power plant is moronic if hydro is available.
Sez you and big hydro.  You're all part of a conspiracy trying to keep my province down!

You're overlooking the point, which is that viper is a crybaby.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 10, 2011, 12:26:17 PM
says the guy who used to whine about Kyoto.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Yeah, but now I don't have to as the Kyoto Accord is a dead letter. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on September 08, 2011, 12:07:42 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2011, 11:54:57 PM
The anglophone Canadians have given French a protective status in their provinces and in Federal government. 

:lol:

Obvious troll is: trolling.

Not a troll.  Obviously the majority doesn't have to give a minority language rights.  They have chosen to do so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 02:19:43 PM
Quote from: Maximus on September 08, 2011, 11:25:57 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:13:19 AM
that's what I'm getting at.
Respect is given at gunpoint, or alternatively, when people need your money.
You have a twisted view of respect. These thing bring deference, not respect.
I was bullied in school.  I learnt not to tolerate it, and then I could walk free.  It took some... persuasion, but I got respect.

Yeah, that's the impression I get.  The abused becomes the abuser.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habsburg

Quote from: Neil on September 10, 2011, 12:26:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2011, 12:14:28 PM
Sez you and big hydro.  You're all part of a conspiracy trying to keep my province down!

Barrister

I am going to predict that Viper is somehow offended by this news (while I am of course delighted):

QuoteTories gear up for War of 1812 bicentennial
Jennifer DitchBurn
OTTAWA— The Canadian Press
Published Monday, Sep. 12, 2011 1:07PM EDT
Last updated Monday, Sep. 12, 2011 1:37PM EDT

While 9/11 highlighted the bonds between Canada and the United States, another major anniversary will mark just how the two countries decided to become friendly in the first place.

The Conservative government is getting ready to announce its bicentennial plans for the War of 1812, a major undertaking that will have Canadians reaching into their high-school memory vaults and municipalities vying for cash to spruce up their historical landmarks.

"It has led to 200 years of peace between Canada and the United States," Heritage Minister James Moore said in an interview.

"We're two countries with two very different identities and we obviously disagree from time to time, but we have the longest border and the most successful neighbouring relationship of probably any two countries in the world ... and all of that started with the end of the War of 1812 and it's something to be recognized."

The conflict, which lasted until 1815, pitted the growing United States against British forces mostly in Upper and Lower Canada. The U.S. had grown weary of British naval blockades hampering their trade abroad, and of first nations armed by the British Empire stunting their expansion into the northwest of the continent.

The new Canadians fought alongside British troops and First Nations allies in battles at Queenston Heights, York, and Crysler's Farm, among the many. They helped to crush any ideas of annexation by the Americans and ultimately to lay down the foundation for a lasting peace with the U.S. once the conflict was over.

Historians point to the war as one of the first defining moments for a Canadian nation that was just starting to come together. Names from the war such as Secord, Brock, Barrie and Tecumseh have become part of the Canadian ethos and even its maps.

"Without the War of 1812, you don't have the expression of a clear, full Canadian identity; without the War of 1812 aboriginal Canadians would have probably seen the same future as American Indians saw; without the War of 1812 the French fact would not have been protected in North America," Mr. Moore said.

One of the biggest 1812 history geeks in cabinet happens to be the prime minister himself.

"He's been personally very involved in this because he's very energetic and enthusiastic about the importance of taking these moments that we have in the pre-Confederation history of Canada, finding these moments and making sure Canadians understand them," Mr. Moore said.

There are no details yet on how much the government will spend on the celebrations, but $1.6-million in TV vignettes about the war have already been approved. Municipalities across southern and eastern Ontario have begun gearing up for next year and applying for funding.

Mr. Moore said the government would like to help with the restoration and upkeep of cenotaphs and plaques and other historic locations, but particularly with educational initiatives.

The bicentennial is seen as the start of a five-year ramp-up to Canada's 150th birthday in 2017. The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the 60th anniversary of her reign, will also be celebrated in 2012.

The Conservative government has placed emphasis on Canadian heritage symbols, including the monarchy, the North and the military.

Canadian embassies were recently ordered to put up portraits of the Queen, and the Maritime and Air Commands were re-christened the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force this summer.

"We think that certainly these are very important institutions to the stability and foundation and creation of Canada and this is certainly something to recognize and certainly Queen Elizabeth next year in her Diamond Jubilee year is an important moment and we're going to seize it," Mr. Moore said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tories-gear-up-for-war-of-1812-bicentennial/article2162559/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Wait how would driving off my ancestors not appeal to Viper?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2011, 01:55:44 PM
I am going to predict that Viper is somehow offended by this news (while I am of course delighted):
Why would I be offended?

However, I must note the following:
"Without the War of 1812, you don't have the expression of a clear, full Canadian identity;
When I quoted this, from a Quebec journalist, you all laughed and disagreed.  Strangely enough, now that it comes from the good people, the opinion changes...

Quotewithout the War of 1812 aboriginal Canadians would have probably seen the same future as American Indians saw;
Ok, that is puzzling.  How are they really different?  They are in reservations, they are poorer than most citizens of the country, and they have higher incidence of social problems (crimes, drugs, etc).

without the War of 1812 the French fact would not have been protected in North America," Mr. Moore said.
That is pure bullshit.  The British and Canadians tried as hard as they could to assimilate us.  Lord Durham's report and the Act of Union stands as proofs.
And until 1867, the official language of the Parliament was English, only English.  Until very recently, most French speaking citizens outside of Quebec were denied their own public schools.
I fail to see how this is protecting French in North America.
That's pure revisionism.

Zoupa

Indeed. We probably would have been better off being annexed by the US.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2011, 02:44:53 PM
Wait how would driving off my ancestors not appeal to Viper?
while not offended, I note that the article doesn't mention Charles de Salaberry and the Battle of Chateaugay.  Coming from Moore, I am disapointed.  But not offended.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 10, 2011, 10:33:07 PM
Yeah, but now I don't have to as the Kyoto Accord is a dead letter. :)
so, it's only whining when you don't get what you want.  Got it, thanks.