News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The results of the English debates are in.  Harper got a big boost and now the Canadian population is watching hockey.  Its too late for the Libs and NPD it seems.

From the Globe and Mail site.

QuoteA Nanos Research poll of 400 people selected at random from across Canada conducted on Wednesday, the day after the four party leaders faced off for an English television audience, registered a significant jump in Mr. Harper's leadership scores, to 122.8 from 94.9.

Josephus

It doesn't surprise me, nor should it surprise anyone.

If I wasn't politically aware and neutral, I would probably vote H.

Look, any party that promises to cut taxes gets votes. Never mind that they won't be able to afford the services that Canadians allegedly hold dear.

I just hope he doesn't get the majority he craves, that's the only hope I have left in this outcome.

Now, onto more important things. Canucks in six?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2011, 05:05:55 PM
Look, any party that promises to cut taxes gets votes.

If this is true, then we truely have had a sea change in Canadian political attitudes.

Canadian elections used to be all about promising more programs, then about fighting over who would protect existing programs.  I remember a lot of elections where "cutting taxes" was not a winning political promise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

I'm not talking about previous elections (although lowering taxes has, in recent memory, always been a conservative platform)...but this from todays' Conservative Party platform:

Our low-tax plan is helping businesses create jobs. And we're reducing taxes on hard-working Canadian families, because we understand that household budgets are tight.

Who wouldn't vote for that?

It does mean that hard working Canadian families will have their services cut, but their platform doesn't mention any of that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2011, 10:40:51 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2011, 05:05:55 PM
Look, any party that promises to cut taxes gets votes.

If this is true, then we truely have had a sea change in Canadian political attitudes.

Canadian elections used to be all about promising more programs, then about fighting over who would protect existing programs.  I remember a lot of elections where "cutting taxes" was not a winning political promise.

That is certainly the Liberal plan in this election.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 15, 2011, 07:08:43 AM
It does mean that hard working Canadian families will have their services cut, but their platform doesn't mention any of that.

The problem with your argument is that you have to define "services" very broadly before cuts at the federal level have any impact on "services" for  "hard working Canadian families".  The reason for that is most services are delivered through the Provinces.

What you (or at least the Liberals) are really arguing for is more intervention by the Federal government in the provincial sphere. 

citizen k

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2011, 12:39:39 PM
What you (or at least the Liberals) are really arguing for is more intervention by the Federal government ...

That's the definition of "progressive".  ;)

Neil

So apparently Ignatieff is trying to say that Harper is undemocratic because the Tories are challenging an illegal voting booth set up by students at some university in Ontario.  Democracy doesn't mean 'everybody gets to do whatever they want', no matter what Martinus or Elizabeth May might tell you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

I don't think they're challenging it anymore and Elections Canada has ruled the votes will count.

crazy canuck

Quote from: citizen k on April 15, 2011, 12:59:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2011, 12:39:39 PM
What you (or at least the Liberals) are really arguing for is more intervention by the Federal government ...

That's the definition of "progressive".  ;)

Funny, constitutional experts would say that when a Federal government tries to legislate in areas of Provincial jurisdiction that is the definition of an unconstitutional act rendering such legislation Ultra Vires.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 15, 2011, 01:35:05 PM
I don't think they're challenging it anymore and Elections Canada has ruled the votes will count.

Yep, seems to have been a mix up at Elections Canada.

QuoteBut the statement also notes that the special ballot, set up Wednesday by local Elections Canada returning officer Anne Budra to encourage students to vote, "was not pre-authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer," and that all returning officers have been instructed "not to engage in any further activities of a similar nature."

The votes should definitely count.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2011, 02:07:14 PM
These are students.  Under no circumstances should they be encouraged to vote.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2011, 02:29:19 PM

But then....how would the NDP get any votes? :huh: Oh, right, I see what you're saying.  ;)

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on April 15, 2011, 04:21:10 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2011, 02:29:19 PM
But then....how would the NDP get any votes? :huh: Oh, right, I see what you're saying.  ;)
Farmers and trade unionists are still there.  Besides, I'm sure the Greens are the new trendy protest party for disaffected hipsters to flock to.