News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Editorial cartoon in The Toronto Star today has Poliviere (sp) in Canada "65 million years " ago. Dinosaurs running around as meteors approach dooming them to extinction. And Poiliviere says Blame Trudeau
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PRC

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2024, 06:17:38 PMEditorial cartoon in The Toronto Star today has Poliviere (sp) in Canada "65 million years " ago. Dinosaurs running around as meteors approach dooming them to extinction. And Poiliviere says Blame Trudeau

Maybe I have selective hearing, but that messaging is all I'm picking up from Poiliviere and the Conservatives, both federally and provincially.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on January 09, 2024, 11:59:11 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2024, 06:17:38 PMEditorial cartoon in The Toronto Star today has Poliviere (sp) in Canada "65 million years " ago. Dinosaurs running around as meteors approach dooming them to extinction. And Poiliviere says Blame Trudeau

Maybe I have selective hearing, but that messaging is all I'm picking up from Poiliviere and the Conservatives, both federally and provincially.

Well, you can be forgiven for having that perspective after watching the videos barrister posted here. I mean PP blamed Trudeau for the entirety of the increase in housing prices even though a lot of it occurred before Trudeau was Prime Minister.

For the conservatives, it has been a very effective negative campaign. It'll be interesting to see if they shift to anything else as the election comes up. They may just gamble on going all negative all the time and hope nobody notices. They don't have a plan for anything.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on January 09, 2024, 11:59:11 PM

I mean - what a shocking strategy from an opposition party - to blame the incumbent!

You and CC seem to have forgotten 2006-2015, where everything was Harper's fault...

For good or bad, the Conservatives have signaled they'll release their platform during an election campaign.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2024, 11:20:55 AMI mean - what a shocking strategy from an opposition party - to blame the incumbent!

You and CC seem to have forgotten 2006-2015, where everything was Harper's fault...

For good or bad, the Conservatives have signaled they'll release their platform during an election campaign.

It's beyond blaming the incumbent, it's the entire platform.  Take the UCP for example... they've been in power since 2019 but all they do is regurgitate the NDP-Trudeau alliance being the source of all of your trials and tribulations.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2024, 11:20:55 AMYou and CC seem to have forgotten 2006-2015, where everything was Harper's fault...

What are you talking about?

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2024, 12:05:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2024, 11:20:55 AMYou and CC seem to have forgotten 2006-2015, where everything was Harper's fault...

The left leaning college crowd at that time was all "Stop Harper" so I assume BB is conflating that with the Liberal platform back then.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on January 10, 2024, 12:01:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2024, 11:20:55 AMI mean - what a shocking strategy from an opposition party - to blame the incumbent!

It's beyond blaming the incumbent, it's the entire platform.  Take the UCP for example... they've been in power since 2019 but all they do is regurgitate the NDP-Trudeau alliance being the source of all of your trials and tribulations.

Again - have you just moved to Canada and I didn't realize it?

A Provincial government picking fights with the Feds is practically an art form in this country.  Quebec in particular are masters at it.  It's even easier when the province and Feds are represented by different parties.

I think I'm on record with not being particularly enamoured with the Danielle Smith government.

And some of her fights with the Feds are particularly dumb (Alberta Pension Plan, Sovereignty Act :rolleyes:).

But the idea of a province picking fights with the Feds is nothing new.

Barrister

Really?  Seriously?

The Liberals and NDP were just full of constructive and helpful criticism during that entire time period?

Admiral Yi

I think youse guys need to learn to spell the name of your next PM.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2024, 12:46:55 PMI think youse guys need to learn to spell the name of your next PM.

Pierre Poilievre. :smarty:

(just remember there are "I"s on either side of the "L" and you're off to the races)

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2024, 12:48:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2024, 12:46:55 PMI think youse guys need to learn to spell the name of your next PM.

(just remember there are "I"s on either side of the "L" and you're off to the races)

Now all I see is his name giving me the middle finger :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Easier to just call him Polly or PP, but it could come across as disrespectul so I'm endeavouring to spell Poilievre correctly.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2024, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2024, 12:48:15 PM

Know all I see is his name giving me the middle finger :lol:

:shifty:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2024, 12:45:40 PM

Really?  Seriously?

The Liberals and NDP were just full of constructive and helpful criticism during that entire time period?

Yeah, really, seriously.  Can you give an example of when either the Liberals or NDP blamed Harper for something he clearly did not cause?  For example, I have no recollection of either party blaming Harper for the economic melt down in 2008.