News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 10:23:59 AMWell at a certain point, once you've been PM for 8 years and counting you're responsible for the state of the country, good and bad.

While housing is much more primarily a provincial/municipal issue, the Feds certainly have a role to play, what through their ability to regulate banks, ownership of CMHC, and just the general power of the purse.

Hard to disagree with that, yeah.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2023, 12:54:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 12:11:30 PMGenerally speaking I don't want to go into the personal lives of politicians.  I certainly feel for the Trudeau's children in this separation.

But I think I can make this observation - Trudeau kind of has a problem with women, doesn't he?  He certainly didn't get along with Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, kicking both out of cabinet.

:lol:

"I'm against using politician's personal lives against them, but in this case I'll make an exception...."

But no, I don't think the immediate go-to explanation for Trudeau's conflicts with Wilson-Raybould or Philpott is "he has problems with women."

I mean I think there's a idfference between "Trudeau is a bad leader because he's getting divorced" and "Trudeau getting divorced reminds me of some other political stuff - maybe they're related".

If you google terms like "Trudeau is not a real feminist" there are multiple hits.  Mine is not an original take.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Sure, Trudeau is not a real feminist.

You are still connecting it to his private life.

How does Justin and Sophie separating connect to Trudeau being or not being a "real feminist?" How does the separation relate to the internal politics of the Liberal Party?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2023, 02:29:08 PMSure, Trudeau is not a real feminist.

You are still connecting it to his private life.

How does Justin and Sophie separating connect to Trudeau being or not being a "real feminist?" How does the separation relate to the internal politics of the Liberal Party?
It might be, it might not be.

I'm inclined to leave his personal business out of the equation for now, unless something tangible comes out of it.

If it's because he's more like his father than we previously assume, it might go beyond the bedroom, because of his previous comments.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2023, 01:21:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 01, 2023, 09:27:45 PMThe left thinking is to have the federal build housing like they did in the 70s.

This was more coming from the right, but clearly aimed at channeling populist anger. Main thing seems to be "housing is obviously a federal responsibility and Trudeau fucked it up."

I don't think that is the argument. I have not heard any politician of any stripe claim that housing is a Federal obligation.

As BB said, it is clearly a Provincial/municipal responsibility.

The argument against this federal government is that they have come up short in funding infrastructure, and particularly in light of the dramatic increase in immigration. Immigration is certainly needed. However, the feds can't simply walk away from their obligation to assist the provinces to create the necessary infrastructure to support that increase population.

Also, these are not criticisms being made only from the right. The NDP premier of British Columbia has been very vocal on this point.

In a recent meeting of the premieres of all the provinces, there was unanimous support for a call on the federal government to provide better partnership with each of the provinces to help build out the necessary infrastructure which would intern support the building of housing.

Considerable criticism could be made of the feds on the basis that the infrastructure spending plan is about to come to an end, was never updated to account for the dramatic success of the immigration program, and nothing is currently planned to replace it.

Much like most of the liberal policy, this policy was put in place to address a very short term issue, which at the time was popular, but there's just no follow through or thinking in the long term. That is a very significant target for any opposition parties to take aim at.

Barrister

Once in a while I feel smart.  After I posted about housing policy, I see this article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-housing-responsible-feds-provinces-1.6924290

Which covered the exact points I made: that it's primarily provincial, but due to banking, CMHC, and the power of the purse the Feds have a definite role in housing policy.

:smarty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 03:54:30 PMOnce in a while I feel smart.  After I posted about housing policy, I see this article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-housing-responsible-feds-provinces-1.6924290

Which covered the exact points I made: that it's primarily provincial, but due to banking, CMHC, and the power of the purse the Feds have a definite role in housing policy.

:smarty:

Pomeray is making the same point as the Premiers.  Ottawa has the money but not the jurisdiction.  Give money to the provinces to assist them with getting on with the job of getting housing built along with he infrastructure that is needed to support that increase in housing and density.

I am not sure how one regulates banks to deal with the housing crisis.  I am not sure that would be prudent.

Grey Fox

It would be better if the Feds would devolve those roles to provinces when it comes to housing and infrastructure.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

One more reason why Quebec should seperate from Canada, to avoid such bullshit justice.
5 months in prison for beating his daughters

QuoteIgnorance
In her decision, Judge Vanasse mentions that the father, of Moroccan origin, has been in Canada for 10 years. He himself allegedly suffered "light corporal punishment during his childhood".
"With regard to the moral culpability of the accused, the Court must consider the fact that his behavior can be tolerated or accepted in his country of origin, without completely annihilating it", she underlines.
This leads to a lack of knowledge of the different forms of domestic violence, indicates the accused's pre-sentence report.
It should be noted that by order of the court, the father notably participates in an assistance program as well as in workshops on anger management and parenthood.

<sigh>

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 12:11:30 PMGenerally speaking I don't want to go into the personal lives of politicians.  I certainly feel for the Trudeau's children in this separation.

But I think I can make this observation - Trudeau kind of has a problem with women, doesn't he?  He certainly didn't get along with Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, kicking both out of cabinet.

And there was that female PM he beat the shit out of in Parliament.  :D

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on August 02, 2023, 02:39:55 PMIf it's because he's more like his father than we previously assume, it might go beyond the bedroom, because of his previous comments.

Seems like it's something like that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 02, 2023, 05:05:02 PMWhat roles do you have in mind?

I miss your post and your idea is better. Just have the feds sign checks to the provinces/municipal authorities.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on August 02, 2023, 06:33:49 PMOne more reason why Quebec should seperate from Canada, to avoid such bullshit justice.
5 months in prison for beating his daughters

QuoteIgnorance
In her decision, Judge Vanasse mentions that the father, of Moroccan origin, has been in Canada for 10 years. He himself allegedly suffered "light corporal punishment during his childhood".
"With regard to the moral culpability of the accused, the Court must consider the fact that his behavior can be tolerated or accepted in his country of origin, without completely annihilating it", she underlines.
This leads to a lack of knowledge of the different forms of domestic violence, indicates the accused's pre-sentence report.
It should be noted that by order of the court, the father notably participates in an assistance program as well as in workshops on anger management and parenthood.

<sigh>

See, that's the totally insane part of multiculturalism that, for some reason, we must embrace.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 02, 2023, 07:56:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 02, 2023, 05:05:02 PMWhat roles do you have in mind?

I miss your post and your idea is better. Just have the feds sign checks to the provinces/municipal authorities.

Yep, I would not want the feds anywhere near making housing policy for the provinces.