News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

There has never been a pro-Palestinian protest where someone pissed on the grave of the unknown soldier, defaced the statue of Terry Fox etc etc.  False comparisons to play down what we are seeing is not on.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2022, 11:05:19 PM
No, no. We can't let CEO reaveling themselves to be fascist influence our choices has investor or customers. Berkut et all won't like that.
I don't think fascist would describe Musk's views.  More like extreme libertarian, and I kinda partly understand why he thinks that way.  However, without government's intervention to promote the use of electric cars through generous R&D subsidies and rebates for the end user, he wouldn't be in a such a dominant position today.  But when you've become a billionaire, overcame asperger, put through your visions or a) building clean cars when everyone said it was impossible and b) send rockets to space when everyone said it wasn't possible, you become a tad arrogant and adopt the mentality of "if I could do it, so can you, get off you lazy ass and become a billionaire too".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2022, 11:11:31 AM
There has never been a pro-Palestinian protest where someone pissed on the grave of the unknown soldier, defaced the statue of Terry Fox etc etc.  False comparisons to play down what we are seeing is not on.
There have been multiple protests where Jewish graves were vandalized, where Jewish synagogues were defaced by graffities and were anti-Jewish signs were held in evidence.

A protest is a protest; it's up to the organizers to make sur such things don't happen.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2022, 11:54:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2022, 11:11:31 AM
There have been multiple protests where Jewish graves were vandalized, where Jewish synagogues were defaced by graffities and were anti-Jewish signs were held in evidence.

A protest is a protest; it's up to the organizers to make sur such things don't happen.

No, a protest is not a protest.  Your attempts to normalize this BS is simply that, BS.

Care to link when in the history of Canada a pro Palestinian protest involved Jewish graves being vandalized?  Sounds a lot more like the fascists you are trying to normalize.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 31, 2022, 12:11:43 PM
No, a protest is not a protest.  Your attempts to normalize this BS is simply that, BS.

Even your PM said protests are allowed.  Stop trying to tie it with something it isn't.  It's a simple protest, like all protests, it degenerated because the organizers are morons and are willing to use violence to achieve their goals.
https://www.adl.org/resources/fact-sheets/antisemitic-incidents-at-anti-israel-events-and-actions-around-the-world

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 01, 2022, 09:56:26 AM
It's a simple protest, like all protests, it degenerated because the organizers are morons and are willing to use violence to achieve their goals.

Okay there Mono.

Jacob

... and the Conservatives continue their push for electability, with a revolt underway against O'Toole led by folks upset that the party failed to oppose legislation that outlawed conversion therapy.

Zoupa

If the Conservatives dumped the crazies and kept their views on the economy, they'd do much better. Let Bernier have them.

IMO there are lots of ppl back east voting Liberal (or not voting at all) by default. With fptp you only need to convert a few %.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2022, 11:17:47 AM
... and the Conservatives continue their push for electability, with a revolt underway against O'Toole led by folks upset that the party failed to oppose legislation that outlawed conversion therapy.

When I saw the headline about a Conservative reaction against O'Toole, I though "aha, they are unhappy that he was cozy with those crazy protestors, disrespecting Canadian symbols in Ottawa. Makes sense. If I was conservative, I'd be annoyed by that".

Then I read the article. It was not about that at all. They are pissed he supported the Liberals on banning gay conversion therapy.

Wtf?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 01, 2022, 12:41:30 PM

When I saw the headline about a Conservative reaction against O'Toole, I though "aha, they are unhappy that he was cozy with those crazy protestors, disrespecting Canadian symbols in Ottawa. Makes sense. If I was conservative, I'd be annoyed by that".

Then I read the article. It was not about that at all. They are pissed he supported the Liberals on banning gay conversion therapy.

Wtf?

Outside of Liberal talking points, I really don't see how O'Toole was cozy with the protesters.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 01, 2022, 01:42:36 PM
Outside of Liberal talking points, I really don't see how O'Toole was cozy with the protesters.

He went to speak to them in person. Seems pretty cozy, no?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 01, 2022, 01:42:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 01, 2022, 12:41:30 PM

Wtf?

I assume you missed this then https://twitter.com/erinotoole/status/1486846090099970049

the other day the Globe summed it up pretty well

Quote"Truckers have been our heroes, period," Mr. O'Toole said in a video released Thursday evening. "Canada doesn't function as a trading nation without them." But the majority of truckers, Canadian and American, are vaccinated and can cross the border freely. Mr. O'Toole is throwing in his lot with the few who refuse.

Jacob

Saw this somewhere: "Truckers went to Ottawa to force Trudeau to resign, but it looks like it's O'Toole who may be out of a job soon. Oops!"

crazy canuck

Yeah, this has really exposed the divisions within the Conservative party and the fact they are still trying to figure out what they really stand for.  It doesn't help that their leader individually has exactly the same problem.

Josephus

WE need BB to weigh in on this.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011