And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 01, 2022, 11:59:36 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on December 31, 2021, 03:58:15 PM
I loved Vancouver when it snowed. Preparations are essentially: 1) make a phone call to Calgary, 2) Calgary puts snow ploughs on a train (this is a long standing agreement), and 3) wait 24 hours until the train shows up in Terminal City.

In the meantime, everything shuts down. It's a Snow Day for adults.

Really? I never knew that... but it kind of makes sense.

Good thing the rail link was restored after the recent floods, then.

He was not being serious...

The City of Vancouver alone has over one hundred snow clearing and salting pieces of equipment.  Add to that all the equipment all the other municipalities in the Metro area have, and it would be a neat logistical feat to not only count on Calgary to have hundreds of pieces of equipment on hand for use at a moments notice - and the ability to get it here immediately. 

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Well I gotta say the Okanagan is getting a fuckload of snow. That wasn't in the brochure.

I do think it's unusual because nobody seems to know how to drive in the snow compared to Montreal. You'd think if it was an annual occurence folks would be better. They drive at 30 km/h when there's 5 cm on the ground  :wacko:

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on January 04, 2022, 01:56:49 PM
Well I gotta say the Okanagan is getting a fuckload of snow. That wasn't in the brochure.

I do think it's unusual because nobody seems to know how to drive in the snow compared to Montreal. You'd think if it was an annual occurence folks would be better. They drive at 30 km/h when there's 5 cm on the ground  :wacko:
If the people there are worst drivers than Montrealers, than it's a definitely a place I'll never vist! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

That is a very very reasonable thing to do because way fewer people have winter or even all-weather tires than you'd see in Montreal and are driving around with all-seasons. And with all-seasons, 30 km/h with 5 cm on the ground is fairly prudent.

crazy canuck

Unfortunately, the Okanagan always gets snow.  And always has bad drivers - snow or not.

The only thing to cheer you is the drivers in Vancouver are much worse.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2022, 03:20:15 PM

That is a very very reasonable thing to do because way fewer people have winter or even all-weather tires than you'd see in Montreal and are driving around with all-seasons. And with all-seasons, 30 km/h with 5 cm on the ground is fairly prudent.

Not in the Okanagan.  Everyone there will or should have winter tires.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 04, 2022, 03:47:03 PM

Well then, that's just silly.

Still, I prefer people being overly cautious to being overly reckless when driving, annoying though it may be at the moment.

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2022, 03:49:04 PM

Still, I prefer people being overly cautious to being overly reckless when driving, annoying though it may be at the moment.

Okay Dad :P I'm talking about highway driving though, which is a tad much. They all have those huge pick-ups and SUVs here, and here I am in my shitbox passing them all. And yeah winter tires are mandatory Nov 1st I think.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on January 04, 2022, 03:59:21 PM
Okay Dad :P I'm talking about highway driving though, which is a tad much. They all have those huge pick-ups and SUVs here, and here I am in my shitbox passing them all. And yeah winter tires are mandatory Nov 1st I think.

:lol:  :hug:

Fair enough.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on January 04, 2022, 03:59:21 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2022, 03:49:04 PM

Tasse toé mononc'! :P
SUVs are generally the first ones to go offroad, when they shouldn't. :PLots of people driving these things seem to feel invincible when winter comes and end up right between the lanes.  Center of gravity is way too high and people often wait way too late to get their winter tires installed, since it's an AWD and "they don't really need it" (almost verbatim)...
I guess those folks driving at 30km/h now are those that experienced the reality of offroad driving in a luxury SUV before and are now overly cautious :P
Also, remember: English Canadians consider we all drive like crazy maniacs because 20km/h above the speed limit is insane driving (also near verbatim) ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

It's not the speed that makes you crazy, it's treating traffic signs like suggestions lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on January 04, 2022, 08:15:17 PM
Also, remember: English Canadians consider we all drive like crazy maniacs because 20km/h above the speed limit is insane driving (also near verbatim) ;)

:huh:

I mean, I don't doubt that someone has said that to you and that that person is Anglophone... but it is completely incorrect to project that on to English Canadians as a whole. Quebec is not the only place in Canada where people drive 20 km/h above the limit, that's for sure.

In my experience everyone thinks their own local drivers are idiots who don't know how to drive, but that people in other areas are complete maniacs and even bigger idiots. It's universal and has nothing to do with culture or language.

Josephus

On Ontario highways 20 km/h over the speed limit is considered normal. If the road is marked for 100km/h you will get honked at if you're not doing 120
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011