News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Maxime Bernier tweeted out the email addresses of journalists and encouraged his followers to "play dirty" with them... and unsurprisingly, they've been getting rape threats and death threats.

Classy guy, this Maxime.

Barrister

Multiple news reports of a "Covid party" held in Edson, Alberta (about 2 hours west of Edmonton) a couple of weeks ago.  Yup, people went with the idea of deliberately infecting themselves with Covid in order to build up "natural immunity".

Now an unspecified number of attendees are in ICU.

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2021/09/23/alberta-covid-party-hospital/

I'm sure there must have all been conservatives.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2021, 11:33:18 AM
So I'm half expecting a bunch of knives to come out for Jason Kenney this week, now that the Federal election is over.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jason-kenney-premier-alberta-leadership-review-1.6185362

Knives have been put away for the moment.

So under the UCP constitution there's a vote of confidence in the leader to be held at a party convention.  This is the one way you can kick a leader out.  Last year (when he was also facing pressure) Kenney scheduled the convention for fall 2022, likely thinking there's no chance the party would risk a leadership race with another election coming in 2023.

But in exchange for some degree of caucus peace, Kenney has moved up the convention date to spring 2022, thereby increasing his risk of being kicked out.

That being said, if Kenney's poll numbers are as bad as they are now by spring 2022 he might just resign anyways.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2021, 12:32:02 PM
Multiple news reports of a "Covid party" held in Edson, Alberta (about 2 hours west of Edmonton) a couple of weeks ago.  Yup, people went with the idea of deliberately infecting themselves with Covid in order to build up "natural immunity".

Now an unspecified number of attendees are in ICU.

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2021/09/23/alberta-covid-party-hospital/

I'm sure there must have all been conservatives.

Schtick aside, i mean yeah, probably
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on September 23, 2021, 12:26:05 PM
Classy guy, this Maxime.
Hang him by the bridge.

I have zero respect, nor any tolerance for these kind of clowns, left or right.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2021, 12:21:01 PM
Paul got into trouble because she her closest advisor went over the top pro-Israel during the crisis - not exactly the progressive stance here in Canada... 
And by over the top, you mean saying that both sides needed to make peace. Yeah.  Horribly, awfully conservative & hawkish of her.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2021, 01:47:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2021, 12:21:01 PM
Paul got into trouble because she her closest advisor went over the top pro-Israel during the crisis - not exactly the progressive stance here in Canada... 
And by over the top, you mean saying that both sides needed to make peace. Yeah.  Horribly, awfully conservative & hawkish of her.

No, that is not at all what I mean.  Look up  what her adviser was saying.

Barrister

The advisor in question was a fellow named Noah Zatzman.  He posted the following on social media:

viper37

A Jewish man complaining of racist behavior from other politicians and activists is considered over the top pro-Israel.
A Sikh man complaining of racism from other politicians is a victim or such racism, however, no questions asked.

Kinda double standard here.

saskganesh

Zionism is a racist, colonial, ideology (according to the Jewish Left). With that tweet, Zatzman dug Paul's grave.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

@ Viper, pay a bit more attention to the part where he says the intention is to make the Greens a Zionist party....

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on September 23, 2021, 04:28:53 PM
Zionism is a racist, colonial, ideology (according to the Jewish Left). With that tweet, Zatzman dug Paul's grave.

Yep, which is why I expressed some surprise that this was used as an example of progressives going nuts.  It is very much an anti-progressive stance.  Which is really the Greens problem.  They are not a progressive party but they need to appeal to progressives because their main platform plank is climate change.

Grey Fox

Unlike what Viper is trying to sell us the Greens are right wing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

I think the Greens are somewhat undefined in terms of right vs left. They're a bit all over the map.