News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

My position is not to abolish all police. Just the Federal one that was created to impose White Supremacy in Canada.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2021, 01:30:09 PM
My position is not to abolish all police. Just the Federal one that was created to impose White Supremacy in Canada.

:rolleyes:

#Rielhaditcoming
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 01:22:21 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2021, 01:12:57 PM
I wonder what was turned down at the NDP convention, if anything.

We should abolish the RCMP.

You know that outside of Ontario and Quebec, the RCMP is the primary police force for much of the country.  Unless if you're proposing a total "abolish the police" position, if you got rid of the RCMP you'd have to invent something new in it's place to take over that role.

Alberta has toyed a few times with forming an Alberta police force to take over from the RCMP, but each time they're faced with the inescapable fact it would be much, much more expensive than just relying on the RCMP.

Back in, I think, the 2000s Justice Oppal did a report on policing in BC and he concluded that by far the best option would be to create regional police forces in BC, both from an operational and fiscal point of view.

There are some municipal police forces in communities in BC which have already opted out of the RCMP contract.  Our biggest city - Surrey is in the process of doing that now.  I think it will not be too long before the provincial government implements the Oppal Report recommendations.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 01:33:01 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2021, 01:30:09 PM

#Rielhaditcoming

There is a significant amount of distrust of the RCMP in this province and particularly amongst indigenous communities.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 06, 2021, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 01:33:01 PM

#Rielhaditcoming

Classy

Responding in kind to GF.

Riel is an extremely fascinating figure and quite important in Canadian history.  He simultaneously deserves to be recognized as a Father of Confederation for his actions in 1870, and a rebel and traitor in 1885.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 01:52:20 PM
There is a significant amount of distrust of the RCMP in this province and particularly amongst indigenous communities.

Not disagreeing with you, but there is a significant amount of distrust in indigenous communities of all police forces.

Heck - even police forces operated directly by first nations themselves still have tensions with their own communities.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2021, 01:51:25 PM
Back in, I think, the 2000s Justice Oppal did a report on policing in BC and he concluded that by far the best option would be to create regional police forces in BC, both from an operational and fiscal point of view.

There are some municipal police forces in communities in BC which have already opted out of the RCMP contract.  Our biggest city - Surrey is in the process of doing that now.  I think it will not be too long before the provincial government implements the Oppal Report recommendations.

That's big if Surrey is getting out of RCMP contract policing.  My understanding is that was the RCMP's biggest office by far.

Curious they'd find it cheaper than a BC police force.  Maybe just because the RCMP is so much more extensive in BC than other provinces.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 02:02:06 PM
Responding in kind to GF.

Disagree that it's in kind.

There's a real discussion to be had about white supremacy in Canada, beyond the buzzword and the posturing. #rielhaditcoming is pure buzzword posturing IMO.

QuoteRiel is an extremely fascinating figure and quite important in Canadian history.  He simultaneously deserves to be recognized as a Father of Confederation for his actions in 1870, and a rebel and traitor in 1885.

He is a fascinating figure, for sure :)

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 02:08:33 PM
That's big if Surrey is getting out of RCMP contract policing.  My understanding is that was the RCMP's biggest office by far.

Curious they'd find it cheaper than a BC police force.  Maybe just because the RCMP is so much more extensive in BC than other provinces.

https://www.surreypolice.ca/

The start date was supposed to be right around now, but apparently it's been pushed to 2022 some time.

Barrister

I don't suppose either of you know - is Surrey planning to roll a bunch of existing officers from the RCMP into the Surrey PS?  How about existing buildings and other resources?

The cost to build an entire police service entirely from scratch seems like it would be monumental.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 02:14:42 PM
I don't suppose either of you know - is Surrey planning to roll a bunch of existing officers from the RCMP into the Surrey PS?  How about existing buildings and other resources?

The cost to build an entire police service entirely from scratch seems like it would be monumental.

It looks like they're recruiting from the Surrey RCMP, but that the RCMP folks aren't that keen on applying.

It seems like the National Police Federation is briefing against the new police force at any rate.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 06, 2021, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2021, 02:14:42 PM

It looks like they're recruiting from the Surrey RCMP, but that the RCMP folks aren't that keen on applying.

It seems like the National Police Federation is briefing against the new police force at any rate.

Yeah, based on your link the NPF seems very anti- the Surrey PS.

Valmy

Surely you need a federal police force for crimes that take place in multiple provinces surely? What sense would it make to just not have a police force with jurisdiction that goes over the entire country?

Or is the idea to have that just not call it the RCMP?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2021, 02:56:43 PM
Surely you need a federal police force for crimes that take place in multiple provinces surely? What sense would it make to just not have a police force with jurisdiction that goes over the entire country?

Or is the idea to have that just not call it the RCMP?

There are a number of jurisdictions in Canada that do not have their own local police forces, and therefore contract to the RCMP. So, for example, Vancouver has a local police force but several of the neighbouring cities which are essentially part of the greater Vancouver area have the RCMP do their local policing. This is separate from whatever federal and national functions the RCMP may also have.