News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:lol: I had to check on the website when I was admitted.

There was a ceremony, though I don't think it's that exciting for solicitors. But I didn't book in time, much to my family's annoyance  :Embarrass:

Barristers have a very grand ceremony in their respective Inns <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2019, 03:19:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2019, 01:45:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2019, 01:33:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2019, 01:31:48 PM
Yep in other words he is nothing but someone who has played at politics all his life. We don't need this kind of political maneuvering.

It's not like electing leaders with little to no political experience works out very well though...

Another reason not to elect Scheer  :P

He's been in Parliament since 2004.

He has played at politics but never done anything.  And it shows.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2019, 03:42:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2019, 01:31:48 PM
Yep in other words he is nothing but someone who has played at politics all his life. We don't need this kind of political maneuvering.
That would exclude, Trudeau, Singh and Blanchette (well, there's no Bloc candidate outside of Quebec, but that is a theoritical option for me ;) ).  Both Trudeau and Singh use a double language.  Tough talk against Quebec in English, soft, compassionate talk in French.  Blanchette likes to take credit for the sun rising up, plus all the other stuff.

The Green Party might not be so bad, but I feel they were very amateurish in their platform, like they don't expect to have to defend their ideas because of virtue&all.  I don't get a good vibe from them.

Agreed

Josephus

I've ruled out Greens (Conservatives who pose as progressives), the Conservatives and obviously Bernier. So I'm going between NDP and Liberals. Liberals haven't done so well in my Oshawa riding, and the NDP came close last time. Hard to say how the GM shutdown next month will effect the riding. I suspect, being uninformed, the workers will  blame Trudeau and thus vote for the Conservatives. We shall see.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Josephus on October 05, 2019, 08:23:24 AM
I've ruled out Greens (Conservatives who pose as progressives)

Please explain.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

crazy canuck

First the carbon tax lie and now a sentencing lie, the Conservatives are looking more and more like Trumpists.

The Claim: "Instead of going after gangsters and criminals who use guns to commit violent crime, Trudeau actually reduced the penalty for gang crime to as little as a fine."

The Conclusion:  an "outright lie" to claim the bill lets gang members convicted of violent crimes off the hook with a fine.

The analysis

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-scheer-gun-gang-violence-crime-fact-check-1.5309485

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ancient Demon on October 05, 2019, 10:52:26 AM

Please explain.

Indeed, looking at their platform they are nothing like the Conservatives.  On some issues they are actually more progressive than the NDP.

viper37

Quote from: dps on October 04, 2019, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2019, 03:47:15 PM
If I am father to a teenage girl, shouldn't I have the right to know what my little girl is doing?  Advise her on the subject?

I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but in the US we've basically gotten to the point that an abortion is the only non-emergency medical procedure that can be performed on a minor without either parental consent or a court order.
it varies by province, and for Quebec, I know for sure a teenage girl can get an abortion without her parents being noticed.  I don't know the "cutoff" age (maybe 14?) at which point basically any medical procedure can be performed without the parent's notification or consent.

I do understand why it has to be necessary, but I still don't like it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2019, 07:52:40 AM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on October 05, 2019, 10:52:26 AM

Please explain.

Indeed, looking at their platform they are nothing like the Conservatives.  On some issues they are actually more progressive than the NDP.
that's the problem with the left.  Protecting the environment isn't the goal, it's a way to get to power to impose sweeping, detrimental changes to our society.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Anyway.

I've learned last week-end that Scheer has ties to Opus Dei.  He arranged a meeting between the Opus Dei representative for Canada and a bunch of MPs a while ago.

I'm disinclined to vote for that person. Might vote Green as a protest vote if I see polls they have zero chances of winning in my riding.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 03:12:43 PM
Anyway.

I've learned last week-end that Scheer has ties to Opus Dei.  He arranged a meeting between the Opus Dei representative for Canada and a bunch of MPs a while ago.

I'm disinclined to vote for that person. Might vote Green as a protest vote if I see polls they have zero chances of winning in my riding.

:rolleyes:

He's not a member.  He just arranged a meeting.  Sheesh.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Is he that self-flagellating albino from the Da Vinci Code?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2019, 03:48:42 PM
Anyway.

Hosted the meeting.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2019, 03:48:42 PM
Anyway.

Opus Dei is just one of many orders of the Catholic Church. I'm really not sure what the big deal is here. And I'm no fan of Scheer.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Not sure under what criteria Bernier gets to play with the big boys in this debate, and other leaders of fringe parties don't.
Civis Romanus Sum