News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Its not hidden. It's right there, using "diversity" as something negative.

You can choose to ignore it. That means you'll get more of it.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2018, 11:17:42 PM

:rolleyes:

You know, I've been arguing against "hidden agendas" my entire political/adult life.  It's rarely about what my politics are - it's always about what hidden messages my favoured politicians are sending.  Can't for once we just take politicians are their word?

It's not like you need to look for hidden messages in Donald Trump - he's quite explicit in what he says!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

So is the defense that the Conservative designers were too stupid to think about how it might be perceived?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

As someone who once settled in Canada as an immigrant, I found all this talk about settlement support surreal  :lol: 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2018, 11:24:51 PM

You know, I've been arguing against "hidden agendas" my entire political/adult life.  It's rarely about what my politics are - it's always about what hidden messages my favoured politicians are sending.  Can't for once we just take politicians are their word?

It's not like you need to look for hidden messages in Donald Trump - he's quite explicit in what he says!

It's only hidden for the front benchers. The back benchers wear it on their sleeves.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on July 17, 2018, 06:31:04 PM
In more conservative news Ford has wasted no time in going back to the 1998 sex Ed curriculum for Ontario schools.

Heh, seems more like they have no idea what they plan to do on that.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-education-minister-flip-flops-on-sex-ed-curriculum-stance-1.4015416

Problem is, having riled up their social-conservative base with scare talk about kids being told there are 27 genders, they now, in power, want to appease parents concerned about stuff like cyberbullying and other such topics not mentioned in the 1998 curriculum.

So now they are all about process. They will hold "consultations".  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

they've pulled the controversial ad yesterday evening.

I still don't see it the way you guys do.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2018, 07:14:39 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2018, 11:24:51 PM

It's only hidden for the front benchers. The back benchers wear it on their sleeves.
when was the last time back benchers set up policies for a recognized political party in Canada?
should back benchers be prevented from pushing their agendas because the left does not like it?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

It depends who does the preventing. The electorate? Yes, 100%. The PC? It can do what it wants & be accused of having damaging hidden agendas.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2018, 08:39:01 AM
when was the last time back benchers set up policies for a recognized political party in Canada?
should back benchers be prevented from pushing their agendas because the left does not like it?

If the policy is based on the same kind of animus as that add, hopefully it is not just the "left" who does not like it.

Grey Fox

New Federal Ministers & new mandates for some.

However the interesting part is the renaming of the International Trade ministry to International Trade Diversification.

The Trump effect is strong.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2018, 11:08:33 AM
New Federal Ministers & new mandates for some.

However the interesting part is the renaming of the International Trade ministry to International Trade Diversification.

The Trump effect is strong.

Yeah, well it would be foolish of us to simply trust that our relationship with the US will continue status quo ante Trump.  It would be nice if it did, but we need to prepare for the possibility it will not.

edit: the MP from my riding was appointed to fisheries.  He is an intelligent guy  :)

Grey Fox

My federal mp is an actual back bencher.

Jacob

Hey Beeb, how serious are these guys: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-derek-fildebrandt-freedom-conservative-party-alberta-1.4752653

QuoteDerek Fildebrandt to launch Freedom Conservative Party of Alberta
'We are a coalition of unapologetic conservatives, libertarians and Alberta patriots,' MLA says

Independent MLA Derek Fildebrandt is launching the Freedom Conservative Party of Alberta, saying he wants to provide another choice for conservative-minded voters.

"We are conservatives but we are not a traditional, big business establishment Tory party," he told CBC News.

"We are a coalition of unapologetic conservatives, libertarians and Alberta patriots. We don't want to simply throw out the NDP, throw a new coat of paint on the truck and start driving. We want to flip it over and fundamentally change the status quo of Alberta's place in Canada."

I'm assuming you're partial to the UCP not this new FCP?