News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Presumably there is absolutely no reason for Trudeau to visit a mosque knowing that its leader has terrorist connections?  I just can't see how he can benefit from that. 

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 15, 2016, 08:06:56 AM
So you only disapprove of "gender segregation" by people you disapprove of for other reasons?  :hmm:
Ah, I misread the question.  I thought it was about something else.
Yes, I would call him an hypocrite if he were to visit any religious insitution that promotes segregation.

You assume the latter. That could be, but you haven't proved it (or tried to). Other than by reference to its founder.
It seems to me that you join a movement, it's because you share most of its ideas.  Would you join Stormfront because you have passion for FPS and punk metal?

Our current leader is obsessed with concrete  ;), but you can't assume everyone on this board is.
Originally, this board belonged to someone else when we joined ;)
The current leader of the movement is still very much active.

Again, lame attack.
I'll keep that in mind for future references :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2016, 08:26:34 AM
Presumably there is absolutely no reason for Trudeau to visit a mosque knowing that its leader has terrorist connections?  I just can't see how he can benefit from that. 
showing how Canada is committed to multiculturalism.  It's the core value of the Liberal party, that all cultures are equal, no matter whom they want to slaughter.  Terrorists are just troubled individuals we fail to comprehend properly.  Integrists exerce a personal choice on which we should not interfere.

The Libs lost most of their traditional jewish support during the years of Harper, so they're trying to gain the muslim vote by appealing to extremists knowing they're the ones with the means to convince their communities to go out and vote.

Next election, you'll see Liberal Party touring bus in front of mosques to bring people to the voting booth.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

The answer is that he likely doesn't have any, or if he does, they are very tangential; and in any event, it is unlikely that Trudeau knew about it in advance. This is a smear by association.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2016, 08:29:02 AM
showing how Canada is committed to multiculturalism.  It's the core value of the Liberal party, that all cultures are equal, no matter whom they want to slaughter.  Terrorists are just troubled individuals we fail to comprehend properly.  Integrists exerce a personal choice on which we should not interfere.

The Libs lost most of their traditional jewish support during the years of Harper, so they're trying to gain the muslim vote by appealing to extremists knowing they're the ones with the means to convince their communities to go out and vote.

Next election, you'll see Liberal Party touring bus in front of mosques to bring people to the voting booth.

The problem is he is going to alienate everybody else in the electorate.  Very, very few people want a head of government who endorses terrorism. 

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2016, 08:27:21 AM
Yes, I would call him an hypocrite if he were to visit any religious insitution that promotes segregation.

Well, at least that's consistent.

Myself, I would not condemn Trudeau for visiting an Orthodox Temple, however much I dislike many aspects of Orthodoxy.

It seems to me that you join a movement, it's because you share most of its ideas.

Sigh. Yes, exactly.

This group purports to be "about" studying Islam (a reasonable thing for an Imam to do).

It was founded by an unpleasant person with lots of nasty ideas about the ME. But you have not proved (or attempted to prove) that the group he founded is "about" ME terrorism.

To illustrate the difference: "Mr. X founded the International Society of Accountants. Mr. X is also a notorious anti-Francophone. Therefore, Mrs. Y, who lists membership in the International Society of Accountants, must also be a notorious anti-Francophone. Politician Z, who visited Mrs. Y, is clearly a supporter of Francophone-hatred - else politician Z would have chosen a better accountant to visit."

Now, I'll throw you a bone: it is true that nasty Islamicists have a habit of spreading their hateful philosophy about by 'piggybacking' on apparently neutral charitable and studious organizations, and maybe this is an example of that. But it is ignorant to assume as much without any evidence, and it is dumb to smear by association a politician for merely visiting such a person.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2016, 08:41:22 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2016, 08:29:02 AM

The problem is he is going to alienate everybody else in the electorate.  Very, very few people want a head of government who endorses terrorism.

I wouldn't take Viper's account of Liberal motives at face value.  :lol:

crazy canuck

You are accepting the proposition the leader of the mosque has terrorist connections.

Valmy

Well even if he is just an extremely conservative fundy It is not a good look. Better to lend public support to more fluffy liberal type Muslim communities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 15, 2016, 09:23:32 AM

You are accepting the proposition the leader of the mosque has terrorist connections.

That's not what I meant.  I am saying, since Trudeau has no reason to visit a mosque knowing that its leader has terrorist connections, it follows that it is highly unlikely that the leader of the mosque does have terrorist connections. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2016, 08:27:21 AM

Then you should also be very upset he has a Sikh in his Cabinet.  They also have segregated temples.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2016, 09:26:08 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 15, 2016, 09:23:32 AM

That's not what I meant.  I am saying, since Trudeau has no reason to visit a mosque knowing that its leader has terrorist connections, it follows that it is highly unlikely that the leader of the mosque does have terrorist connections.

Ah, thank you for clarifying  :)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 15, 2016, 09:26:28 AM
Then you should also be very upset he has a Sikh in his Cabinet.  They also have segregated temples.

All of them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2016, 09:31:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 15, 2016, 09:26:28 AM

All of them?

I think so, yes.  Men sit on one side and women on the other.

Of course there may be some breakaway splinters that don't cover their heads in temple, don't segregate etc.  but that would be the exception.

Monoriu

This discussion reminds me of my time in Vancouver.  I kept hearing the phrase "multi-culturalism" in the news and in debates.  That's new to me.  I told my parents, that's just euphemism on whether they consider us immigrants a net gain for the Canadian GDP, or want to kick us out, right? 

I was very surprised that Canadians spent so much time worrying about us.