And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Latest polls:
http://www.democraticspace.com/canada2011/

Majority Conservative government with NDP as the official opposition.

Meanwhile... Ekos released another poll... Wich puts the Conservatives as a minority government woht 131 seats...
http://www.ekospolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/seat_projection_april_25_2011.pdf

I don't believe these numbers, but there's something weird going on.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I met the local Conservative candidate for my neighbouring riding (it's two blocks away) the other day. She seemed nice enough, but I doubt she has much of a chance; she's running against Libby Davies.

In semi-related news, a friend of mine announced her candidacy for the Green Party a couple of days. Not much of a chance there either, I don't think, but better than if she was running in rural Alberta or something.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2011, 05:41:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2011, 05:23:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 04:50:38 PM
Yes you were breaking the law.  But don't worry, no complaint was ever made to Elections Canada.  That is required for an investigation to be triggered.  So even BB cant touch you now.
:menace:

I'm no longer with the Feds, so I could care less about violations of the Elections Act.   :cool:

Who you with now, Beeb? Are you working for the province? Still a prosecutor?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2011, 06:58:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2011, 05:41:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2011, 05:23:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 04:50:38 PM
Yes you were breaking the law.  But don't worry, no complaint was ever made to Elections Canada.  That is required for an investigation to be triggered.  So even BB cant touch you now.
:menace:

I'm no longer with the Feds, so I could care less about violations of the Elections Act.   :cool:

Who you with now, Beeb? Are you working for the province? Still a prosecutor?

Went back to working for Alberta Justice.

Ironically I had to switch from the Feds to the Province if I wanted to continue doing the same kind of work (i.e. Criminal Code offences).

Zoupa

I love hearing conservative tards on their high horses about small government and cutting taxes. The only places they're over 50% is where you can swim in oil  :rolleyes:

Once the Libs and NDP merge, the West will be ass-fucked for a generation, again, the way it should be.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on April 26, 2011, 11:56:28 PM
I love hearing conservative tards on their high horses about small government and cutting taxes. The only places they're over 50% is where you can swim in oil  :rolleyes:

Once the Libs and NDP merge, the West will be ass-fucked for a generation, again, the way it should be.

Funny - I don't want to see Quebec, or any other province, be "ass-fucked".

I guess spite is only a dominant policy principle for the political left.

Zoupa

I'm only using your terminlogy. To you guys revenue sharing is being screwed over.  :sleep:

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on April 27, 2011, 12:45:29 AM
I'm only using your terminlogy. To you guys revenue sharing is being screwed over.  :sleep:

Since when?  :huh:

Most Albertans I know support federal equalization.

Where we get offended is when Quebec, a habitual "have not" province, tries to claim it is being shortchanged by our confederation. :rolleyes:

Josephus

Toronto Star/ La Presse poll shows Tories at 35, NDP at 30.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2011, 06:52:35 PM
Seems to me that the Cons are running a campaign filled with gaffes and mini-scandals, which hasn't changed their standing a bit. The Libs have not been able to capitalize on it. Oddly, the campaign that is really taking off is the NDP.

Canadians, deep down, long for a cold-hearted Conservative to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule them like a king.

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on April 27, 2011, 08:25:43 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2011, 06:52:35 PM
Seems to me that the Cons are running a campaign filled with gaffes and mini-scandals, which hasn't changed their standing a bit. The Libs have not been able to capitalize on it. Oddly, the campaign that is really taking off is the NDP.

Canadians, deep down, long for a cold-hearted Conservative to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule them like a king.

Apparetly matched by a lesser, but growing, desire to have their lives ruled cradle-to-grave by some sort of mostachioed commissar.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 08:32:43 AM
Apparetly matched by a lesser, but growing, desire to have their lives ruled cradle-to-grave by some sort of mostachioed commissar.  ;)

That's what you get when the third wheel is a Trudeau-lite wannabee with the charisma of a wheelchair: choosing between a Calgarian oil-sponsored control-freak and an Asian-loving Voroshilov-lookalike.  :yuk:

When is the next referendum scheduled for, Pauline?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on April 27, 2011, 08:37:11 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 08:32:43 AM

That's what you get when the third wheel is a Trudeau-lite wannabee with the charisma of a wheelchair: choosing between a Calgarian oil-sponsored control-freak and an Asian-loving Voroshilov-lookalike.  :yuk:

When is the next referendum scheduled for, Pauline?

One year after the next PQ government is elected but the leader of that will be Duceppe. No luck for the righties.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on April 26, 2011, 11:56:28 PM

I love how you "intelligent" lefties try but utterly fail to convince people who are swing voters to switch their vote away from the Conservatives.  Or were you just trying to preach to the choir?

Here is a hint.  Trying to attack the Conservatives on their strong points is why they are on the verge of forming a majority government. 

Also, you seem to think we have oil everywhere outside of Qubec and Toronto. :P