News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

30 minutes is actually not so bad. I was under the impression it was longer, an hour at least. So that means polls close at 5:30 Pacific time in B.C.?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 04:50:38 PM
Yes you were breaking the law.  But don't worry, no complaint was ever made to Elections Canada.  That is required for an investigation to be triggered.  So even BB cant touch you now.
:menace:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2011, 05:07:47 PM
What's the argument against having uniform voting times, but stretching them out - say everyone can vote when it's 7 AM in the Maritimes until it's 10 PM on the West Coast? Too much a pain logistically, or is it felt that it will produce unfair results somehow as well?
Well, the logistical problems are nothing to sneeze at.  You're talking about having people in the polling places for 22 hours.  It's easier to just rig the old media and prosecute the occasional blogger.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2011, 05:26:52 PMWell, the logistical problems are nothing to sneeze at.  You're talking about having people in the polling places for 22 hours.  It's easier to just rig the old media and prosecute the occasional blogger.

I try to never sneeze at logistics. I was just wondering if there were "fairness" arguments against it, or simply practical ones. As for the time - 22 hours open - it could be done for a shorter period as well I imagine, especially if polling places already close early out West (and open late back East).

Jacob

Allegations from Quebec about PMO malfeance regarding the Montreal Port Authority: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-stands-firm-in-face-of-calls-to-fire-his-top-spokesman/article1994586/

Over-stretched muckracking or something with actual substance? In either case, potentially damaging or just a soon-to-be-forgotten minor bump?

crazy canuck

What's the argument against having uniform voting times, but stretching them out - say everyone can vote when it's 7 AM in the Maritimes until it's 10 PM on the West Coast? Too much a pain logistically

Yep, it was logistics.  It takes a lot of volunteers to man all the polling booths around the Country.  It is considered unrealistic to make them work over such a long period of time.  You would be making polls stay open in NFLD until 2:30 am the next day and you would be making polls open in BC at 2:30 am of that morning.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 21, 2011, 05:18:54 PM
30 minutes is actually not so bad. I was under the impression it was longer, an hour at least. So that means polls close at 5:30 Pacific time in B.C.?

No polls close in BC at 7:00 local time and they close in Quebec and Ontario at 9:30 local time (6:30 BC time).

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 05:44:45 PM
What's the argument against having uniform voting times, but stretching them out - say everyone can vote when it's 7 AM in the Maritimes until it's 10 PM on the West Coast? Too much a pain logistically

Yep, it was logistics.  It takes a lot of volunteers to man all the polling booths around the Country. 

Volunteers? Aren't they paid? Quite reasonably?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 21, 2011, 06:19:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 05:44:45 PM

Yep, it was logistics.  It takes a lot of volunteers to man all the polling booths around the Country. 

Volunteers? Aren't they paid? Quite reasonably?

A lot of people you see there are volunteers.  Scrutineers etc are volunteers from the various political parties as an example.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2011, 05:36:15 PM
Allegations from Quebec about PMO malfeance regarding the Montreal Port Authority: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-stands-firm-in-face-of-calls-to-fire-his-top-spokesman/article1994586/

Over-stretched muckracking or something with actual substance? In either case, potentially damaging or just a soon-to-be-forgotten minor bump?
I seem to remember hearing about this before.  It seems to me like this is an attempt to bring back a scandal they had tried before but had fizzled.

Malthus

Seems to me that the Cons are running a campaign filled with gaffes and mini-scandals, which hasn't changed their standing a bit. The Libs have not been able to capitalize on it. Oddly, the campaign that is really taking off is the NDP.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2011, 08:02:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 06:21:53 PM
Scrutineers

This one is almost as funny as parkade.

You should see them wearing their Mickey Mouse ears ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2011, 05:36:15 PM

Potentially damaging & soon to be forgotten.
Worrying that someone close to the PM is talked about in such ways.

If the Bloc is worried though, they should ask the police to investigate.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2011, 05:23:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 04:50:38 PM
Yes you were breaking the law.  But don't worry, no complaint was ever made to Elections Canada.  That is required for an investigation to be triggered.  So even BB cant touch you now.
:menace:

I'm no longer with the Feds, so I could care less about violations of the Elections Act.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.