[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 11:18:38 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2011, 11:12:37 AM
Why do you hate Canada CC?

:huh:

QuoteHopefully the threat that the NDP might get anywhere near power will get out the Conservative vote and will encourage right leaning Liberals to vote Conservative since it now looks like the Libs have no shot and a vote for the Libs may be a vote for the NDP.

Conservative Majority, Liberals voting Cons. The Liberal Party is the Natural Leading Party of Canada.

Why do you hate Canada?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on April 21, 2011, 11:01:11 AM
Left-right issues in the Parliament instead of always bringing this to Quebec vs ROC.
Maybe in Quebec. I don't think there's been a Quebec vs. ROC issue in ROC since... I don't know, Meech Lake, maybe the Charlottetown Accord (although that had other issues as well)?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2011, 11:21:57 AM
Conservative Majority, Liberals voting Cons. The Liberal Party is the Natural Leading Party of Canada.

Why do you hate Canada?

Hopefully the evil days of the Liberals (or anyone for that matter) being the Natural Leading Party are dead.  I much prefer a competitive electoral system where parties believe they have to earn the votes of Canadians.

Grallon

The rise of the NDP in Quebec is not really surprising - it means many Bloc supporters are swinging to the NDP.  Duceppe made a mistake in drawing the attention of people to that phenomenon and attacking Layton and the NDP.  In any case, it doesn't matter if the NDP gain 5-10-15 ridings from the Bloc, so long as neither the Conservatives nor the Liberals make any gains.  This however means we might get yet another minority Conservative gvt contrary to my earlier prediction. 

But Iggy is as good as gone if things go on like this.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on April 21, 2011, 11:55:42 AM
In any case, it doesn't matter if the NDP gain 5-10-15 ridings from the Bloc, so long as neither the Conservatives nor the Liberals make any gains.   

But Iggy is as good as gone if things go on like this.

If the NDP get that much support in Quebec and they are able to gain votes from the Libs in the rest of the Country then the Libs may turn out to be the Municipal party of Greater Toronto.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2011, 11:26:02 AM
I much prefer a competitive electoral system where parties believe they have to earn the votes of Canadians.

Or they could just focus on discrediting the other guys like they do here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2011, 12:03:19 PM

Harder to do when there are multiple "other guys".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2011, 12:03:19 PM
I much prefer a competitive electoral system where parties believe they have to earn the votes of Canadians.

Since there isnt much of an ideological diversity in your political system there isnt much left to talk about.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2011, 10:15:32 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2011, 11:53:31 PM
If Layton and the NDP does get a big bump in Quebec and gets a bunch of seats (and this is not a mid election bump that dissipates on election day), how does that change things?
If Layton and the NDP get a big bump nationally, it means a Conservative majority government.

Maybe. But if the NDP and Liberals trade a few seats here and there, that doesnt necessarily guarantee a Conservative Majority. But I'll grant you that Harper is enjoying news of the NDP resurgence.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2011, 11:21:57 AM

Why do you hate Canada?

Hopefully the evil days of the Liberals (or anyone for that matter) being the Natural Leading Party are dead.  I much prefer a competitive electoral system where parties believe they have to earn the votes of Canadians.

On that we can both agree.  :hug:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Now that I'm back in Alberta I am reminded of the advantages of one party Conservative rule. :)

I think the 40th anniversary of Lougheed's win is coming up next year. :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on April 21, 2011, 02:28:27 PM
Now that I'm back in Alberta I am reminded of the advantages of one party Conservative rule. :)

voting conservative made oil spring from the ground? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Incidentally, a lot of media attention on the issue of whether Elections Canada will crack down on people who communicate results via social media in breach of the Elections Act.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 21, 2011, 02:30:51 PM

It seems to work in Texas :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2011, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 21, 2011, 02:30:51 PM

It seems to work in Texas :P
i never got why texas was conservative. You guys spend a lot, fuck a lot, and drink a lot. is it casue of the guns?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.