News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2024, 09:27:59 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2024, 08:22:50 PMI don't think it's willingly at all. It's the logical conclusion of Reaganomics, a thing fiscal conservatives have been working tirelessly for the past 40 years.

:rolleyes:

I mean - if that's your thesis, go and expand on it.  But just saying 'it's all Reagan's fault' is on par with Tyr saying everything is Thatcher's fault.

Reaganomics may bear his name but he is hardly its inventor.

In any case 2016 pretty much demonstrated to me that these policies have failed, or at least need to be reshaped. The rising tide did not raise most of the boats, and now they are being seduced into dangerous populist movements thanks to how the economy has been reshaped to maximize the interests of the rich. How much economic growth have we experienced since 1980? Yet look how angry the common people are at their economic conditions compared to the 1970s. I think we need to integrate many of the policies we had back in the 1960s and 1970s to rebalance things. Or rethink new ideas entirely. The common people need a bigger share of the national wealth, what is even the point of economics if our system fails to distribute common needs like housing and health care?

I don't think pointing out this problem is the same as "blaming everything on Reagan and Thatcher." Plenty of other politicians moved this along in the 1990s and beyond.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2024, 09:32:51 AMThe difficulty I am having with the NDP is their lack of a coherent comprehensive policy.  Something I never thought I would say about them.

They are now much like the Liberals-ad hoc policy statements on specific issues with no real overall plan.

Hopefully that changes as we get closer to the election.

Yeah, I don't disagree. But I can't see myself voting for the Liberals. So who's left?

{pun not intended}
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 13, 2024, 02:22:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2024, 09:32:51 AMThe difficulty I am having with the NDP is their lack of a coherent comprehensive policy.  Something I never thought I would say about them.

They are now much like the Liberals-ad hoc policy statements on specific issues with no real overall plan.

Yeah, I don't disagree. But I can't see myself voting for the Liberals. So who's left?

{pun not intended}

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 13, 2024, 03:39:20 PMYeah, no.  ;)

If there's nothing to your left, you have no choice but to go right. -_-

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2024, 03:10:04 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 13, 2024, 02:22:11 PM

{pun not intended}

If something does not dramatically change in the next year, I think it will be a Conservative landslide victory.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2024, 04:20:58 PMIf something does not dramatically change in the next year, I think it will be a Conservative landslide victory.

I concur.

Grey Fox

You guys need a BQ like party to vote for instead of the blue flavored liberals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2024, 08:26:55 PMYou guys need a BQ like party to vote for instead of the blue flavored liberals.

Nobody needs that.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2024, 10:38:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2024, 08:26:55 PMYou guys need a BQ like party to vote for instead of the blue flavored liberals.

Nobody needs that.

You're only saying that because the Conservatives are already the Bloc Alberta.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2024, 10:43:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2024, 10:38:51 PM

Nobody needs that.

You're only saying that because the Conservatives are already the Bloc Alberta.

No.  Really no.

Remember the old Reform Party?  The one that merged with the PCs to form the modern Conservatives?  Their motto was "The West wants in".  It was very deliberately set up as an anti-separatist party.

Jacob

Barrister

crazy canuck

Singh's public statement after reading the unredacted report

QuoteWhat they're doing is unethical. It is in some cases against the law," Mr. Singh said. "They are indeed traitors to the country."

"In short, there are a number of MPs who have knowingly provided help to foreign governments, some to the detriment of Canada, and Canadians."

Mr. Singh said he was named in the report as one of the targets of interference and indicated that no NDP MPs are among those named as participants in it.

Here is the full story

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ndps-jagmeet-singh-says-classified-version-of-foreign-interference/