And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2024, 07:14:31 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2024, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2024, 09:53:36 AMWhat are you talking about?  I really don't understand.  What constitutional right are you thinking about?
The court is saying they have a right to smoke/inject themselves everywhere they want, now that it's been legalized.

It has not reach Supreme Court yet, but it's a beginning.  First reversal for the Province.

A can of worms has been opened: the rights of drug users, because apparently they are safer if everything is permitted, are more important than anything else.

No, an injunction is in place pending a full hearing on the merits.
And it will be given merits.  I'm reading the arguments on which the injunction was granted, and it should not have been granted in the first place. It is worrying that the court even considered it.  Safety of the drug users should not have been a consideration.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2024, 07:56:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2024, 07:14:31 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2024, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2024, 09:53:36 AMWhat are you talking about?  I really don't understand.  What constitutional right are you thinking about?
The court is saying they have a right to smoke/inject themselves everywhere they want, now that it's been legalized.

It has not reach Supreme Court yet, but it's a beginning.  First reversal for the Province.

A can of worms has been opened: the rights of drug users, because apparently they are safer if everything is permitted, are more important than anything else.

No, an injunction is in place pending a full hearing on the merits.
And it will be given merits.  I'm reading the arguments on which the injunction was granted, and it should not have been granted in the first place. It is worrying that the court even considered it.  Safety of the drug users should not have been a consideration.

I am not sure, what "it will be given merits" means.

And you can join Otto in the despicable bin for your last comment.

crazy canuck

The Liberals have finally figured out that housing is the big issue.  They are making a bunch of funding, announcements of various programs and strategies. But seem to lack any overall policy direction. 

Grey Fox

Wouldn't it be politically dangerous to introduce a policy direction on a provincial issue while being a minority government?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2024, 07:22:35 AMWouldn't it be politically dangerous to introduce a policy direction on a provincial issue while being a minority government?

Depends on what the policy is.  For example if they developed a policy to provide financial assistance to the provinces, I can see that has being downright popular.  But of course, that is not what they're doing. They are creating their own federal programs.

crazy canuck

Housing starts dropped from 271k last year to 240k this year.  We need at least 320k a year.

crazy canuck

A good piece on why the current government is so dysfunctional

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-paul-wells-show/id1643176656?i=1000652007686

Lengthy audio of a reporter's interview with Trudeau with Wells and the reporter analyzing what Trudeau was saying.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2024, 07:44:13 AMA good piece on why the current government is so dysfunctional

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-paul-wells-show/id1643176656?i=1000652007686

Lengthy audio of a reporter's interview with Trudeau with Wells and the reporter analyzing what Trudeau was saying.

Basically, Canada is a dysfunctional country and Quebec has been saying so for a while?   No? :D

crazy canuck

It's more like Trudeau is delusional and the PMO staff around him create an alternate reality.

I recommend you listen to it, and especially in light of what's happening at the foreign interference inquiry.  The Prime Minister and the PMO staff have basically said that they didn't read what CICS officials were giving to them and the oral briefing didn't contain the same information.

You will see that those are the same tactics that the podcast identifies the government uses for all issues.  It's essentially one big gaslighting operation.

crazy canuck

The head of CSIS was recalled to the inquiry to answer respond to the evidence of the PM and his senior staffers that they were not told about China's clandestine election interference.

He said he gave the warning many times.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/519974dc5e28f762a87fb14c1570523f4fb873adfcfcb945043907ccc3c41650/C6JRYGAJ5ZH7HJ62URUY74WNLM/

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2024, 07:11:37 AMTrudeau's admission that he didn't read the security briefing is an easy target for the opposition

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/519974dc5e28f762a87fb14c1570523f4fb873adfcfcb945043907ccc3c41650/YX5BF7VMPNAQPOCAKYVRCC5OAA/

What an idiot.  But it's only a part of the problem.  Clearly, the Federal government is too big and the PM has too many things to think about.

Barrister

So I was going to post about the budget, but instead...

Tim Horton's is rolling out pizzas?

You stupid motherfuckers.

Already you don't cook pretty much anything fresh in store.  All your bread and donuts are shipped frozen.  So you think people are going to want to spend good money to buy frozen pizza from Tim Horton's?

As a kid at the time I actually remember McDonald's McPizza fondly (for those of you younger then me - that was a thing).  But it was also a total disaster for McDonalds.

The phrase "stay in your lane" is wildly over-used, but sometimes it's exactly the right phrase.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So anyways the budget.

It's going pretty hard left.  New spending for housing and a disability program.  Still expecting a $40 billion dollar deficit, so they make it up with hiking capital gains tax.

I'm looking at news reports and it's really hard to get apples-to-apples comparisons of new spending to new taxes, on either a year-by-year, or over a longer time frame, so I'm going to refrain from quoting numbers.  But the numbers on both new taxes and new spending seem significant.

Obviously this is not a "appeal to Barrister's vote" kind of budget.  But what say you Languish?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.