News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

My gripe with harpers immigration plan was he iced out "low skill" workers. Ostensibly to save  canadian jobs. Problem is Canadians don't want those jobs :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2024, 01:12:44 PMHey I was just listing one place that is "habitable" and can be purchased at a reasonable price.  :P

We looked at it in 2019. It was tempting then and I should have done it.  Prices are no longer reasonable and especially after factoring in the climate related risks.  They are going to continue to be hit by strong storms.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on March 30, 2024, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2024, 01:23:37 PMBut that's my point, we already have a housing crisis, pumping in 1 million more people seems unwise. Majority probably move to like 3 cities.

My point is that a lot of people, including yours truly predicted the problems before it happened.

In short: I told you so.

You guys all voted for Justin Trudeau and his promised and increasing immigration.  Do not come and complain that he has increased immigration.

If you did not vote for the Libs, you voted NDP and they supported the idea of increasing immigration in Canada, despited our structural weaknesses.

If your foundation is crumbling and you add weight on it, it's going to fail.

Canada's infrastructure and governance system was not and still is not able to manage to influx of population.

The alternative is god damn Nazis.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 30, 2024, 02:19:32 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 30, 2024, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2024, 01:23:37 PMBut that's my point, we already have a housing crisis, pumping in 1 million more people seems unwise. Majority probably move to like 3 cities.

My point is that a lot of people, including yours truly predicted the problems before it happened.

In short: I told you so.

You guys all voted for Justin Trudeau and his promised and increasing immigration.  Do not come and complain that he has increased immigration.

If you did not vote for the Libs, you voted NDP and they supported the idea of increasing immigration in Canada, despited our structural weaknesses.

If your foundation is crumbling and you add weight on it, it's going to fail.

Canada's infrastructure and governance system was not and still is not able to manage to influx of population.

The alternative is god damn Nazis.
They weren't Nazis back in Stephen Harper days.

They still ain't, but they lost their conservative soul.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2024, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2024, 01:12:44 PMHey I was just listing one place that is "habitable" and can be purchased at a reasonable price.  :P

We looked at it in 2019. It was tempting then and I should have done it.  Prices are no longer reasonable and especially after factoring in the climate related risks.  They are going to continue to be hit by strong storms.
Westmount, Mile-End, Hampstead, Côte-St-Luc...
These are all affordable by Southern BC standards.  You could sell where you live and buy one property to live in one of these neighbourhood where you don't have to learn French.  And buy a duplex in another one nearby for your kids so they can fully embrace the Canadian diversity and live in French.  :cool:

Unless one of them has fully embraced the American dream already with his basketball skills?   :)  In that case, have the other live in one part and rent the other.

On the plus side, by the time there are major storms hitting Montreal island like there are in Cape Breton island, the entire St-Lawrence valley will be flooded, so it will not be a major concern anymore. 

Flooding is still a problem downtown, however.  As is mismanagement of Montreal, and it is affecting the urban community by ricochet.

But, prices are dirtcheap compared to Vancouver.  Still.  :shutup:

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2024, 01:39:51 PMMy gripe with harpers immigration plan was he iced out "low skill" workers. Ostensibly to save  canadian jobs. Problem is Canadians don't want those jobs :lol:
Provinces still want "low skill" workers as temporary workers, so they were coming in anyway.

Yes, Canadians don't want those jobs.  Neither do permanent immigrants.  Once they are here, they quickly figure that it pays more to do something else:  study a little and find better employment, stay on welfare.

Here comes temporary workers: they are here for a season, they don't mind hard work, they show up on time, they aren't totally drunk or stone when they show up for work.

It's a win-win situation.

I know I speak as a former employer, but I tried to hire a Quebecer last fall.  Gave her two chances.  19$/hr for office work: filing documents in the right folders, looking up in the accounting system if the bills were indeed really paid and filing them in the proper place; flexible hours as long as she showed up on the agreed upon hour.

She couldn't keep up into her arrange schedule.  So I told her to stay home.  I tried to find someone else, but no one replied to my ad at first, so I hired her back.  Again the same.  She made me miss a an evening out with my friends on January 2nd, friends I hadn't seen in a long time, and she promised she'd be there at 8:00 in the morning of January 3rd.  Obviously, she couldn't get up.  She spent the night partying hard, he junkie ass couldn't get up.

She asked me for a job a 3rd time...

I hired a Romanian immigrant instead.  20$/hr.  She always showed up on time.  No drugs or alcohol problem.  Needed some more explanations due to the language barrier, but we made it work. I gave her the name of a place she could go to practice her interviewing skills in French as she said she was extremely nervous to speak French, and let her my name and phone number for future reference for her next employment (and happily gave good reference when a prospective employer call me back).

Anyway.  Long parenthesis.  Canadians/Quebecers don't want low skill jobs because they somehow think they're worth better, but they don't want to begin anywhere to show their potential, they're not ready to accept the sacrifices.

I was 49.  I had to agree to non paid work terms.  Free work.  All to rebuild my rep after an illegal firing by my bullshit employer from the public sector.

Fuck 'em.

But it's done.  2 months free work, and I'm wanted everywhere.

I just have to solve personal issues...

viper37

Not all is well with drug legalization in BC.
Strange.  It's almost as if this was a bad policy not well thought out, put forward only in reaction to event, from bad science, not a careful analysis of all the facts and the consequences.

Link

viper37

Just thought I'd leave this here. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 31, 2024, 03:59:11 PMNot all is well with drug legalization in BC.
Strange.  It's almost as if this was a bad policy not well thought out, put forward only in reaction to event, from bad science, not a careful analysis of all the facts and the consequences.

Link

If you read the story more c
Quote from: viper37 on March 31, 2024, 03:59:11 PMNot all is well with drug legalization in BC.

Link

You understand of course, that smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol is banned in public areas, with some exceptions.

That's what the challenge legislation was attempting to do with drugs.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2024, 09:22:06 AM

Link

If you read the story more c

Link

You understand of course, that smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol is banned in public areas, with some exceptions.

That's what the challenge legislation was attempting to do with drugs.

You opened the door.  Now, they have all the rights.  They can do it everywhere they want and it's a constitutionally protected right to inject oneself with drug anywhere and wherever they want.

crazy canuck

What are you talking about?  I really don't understand.  What constitutional right are you thinking about?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2024, 09:53:36 AMWhat are you talking about?  I really don't understand.  What constitutional right are you thinking about?
The court is saying they have a right to smoke/inject themselves everywhere they want, now that it's been legalized.

It has not reach Supreme Court yet, but it's a beginning.  First reversal for the Province.

A can of worms has been opened: the rights of drug users, because apparently they are safer if everything is permitted, are more important than anything else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2024, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2024, 09:53:36 AMWhat are you talking about?  I really don't understand.  What constitutional right are you thinking about?
The court is saying they have a right to smoke/inject themselves everywhere they want, now that it's been legalized.

It has not reach Supreme Court yet, but it's a beginning.  First reversal for the Province.

A can of worms has been opened: the rights of drug users, because apparently they are safer if everything is permitted, are more important than anything else.

No, an injunction is in place pending a full hearing on the merits.