News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2024, 11:25:28 PMCanada is now at 41 million people. Up 1 million in just 9 months. That seems a bit excessive.

If only there was some empty space in Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2024, 11:52:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2024, 11:25:28 PMCanada is now at 41 million people. Up 1 million in just 9 months. That seems a bit excessive.

We have the space, just not the houses built.in those spaces :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Indeed.  If you can locate land that is habitable and can be purchased at a reasonable price, let me know.  I will give you a commission.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2024, 09:15:20 AM

Indeed.  If you can locate land that is habitable and can be purchased at a reasonable price, let me know.  I will give you a commission.

:D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Cape Breton?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Won't be cheap if a million people move there and you double the population in 9 months :P

*Edit* that's all of NS. Cape Breton itself would have a 1000% increase :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Hey I was just listing one place that is "habitable" and can be purchased at a reasonable price.  :P

viper37

Who would have thought it would be a bad idea?  Who could have predicted this?  No one saw this coming.  If only someone had spoken.
https://www.centuryinitiative.ca/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

But that's my point, we already have a housing crisis, pumping in 1 million more people seems unwise. Majority probably move to like 3 cities.

We're also letting in the wrong type  people, i think. Career not, not race :D . A lot of the number is students (well was I guess, they changed student rules recently). Canada needs only so many IT people. It's gotten to the point that these grads are lining up to get jobs at the LCBO (province owned liquor store). If canada is serious about housing they need construction and trades. Open up the border to portuguese and Italian immigration :D

viper37

Sometimes, I wonder.

We are all poor.  We can't afford the basic necessities.

But I see a lot of huge pick up trucks or SUVs when doing grocery shoppings, house at inflated prices are sold withing a few weeks, people don't stop taking their vacations in the south to sunny destinations every year, so I do wonder.

Paying for new windows on the house is horrible.  Buying a heat pump is an horrible expense that no Canadian can afford.  But paying 2000$+taxes every year per person to spend a week in the Dominican Republic or in Cuba is allright.  Buying a 50-60 000$ SUV (or pick up truck) + taxes is allright, with all the gaz and maintenance that comes with it. 

Buying a 500-600 000$ unifamilial house in Montreal is a-ok too.

I see people who buy 2500$ video cards because it's the best available and they don't want to hear about cheaper option.  It's gonna deliver for 1 or 2 games they play, but they don't want to hear about anything else.

They complain about the energy consumption of a cheaper video card and how
horrible it's gonna be on their power bill, and then go out and buy a CPU that costs 2x as more and consume 5x more power because it's the best in a select few games.

But we are strangled, overburdened.

I just don't understand.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

As for cars, I think canada has one of, if not largest, amount of car debt. Low interest rates, what could ever go wrong? :D

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2024, 01:23:37 PMBut that's my point, we already have a housing crisis, pumping in 1 million more people seems unwise. Majority probably move to like 3 cities.

My point is that a lot of people, including yours truly predicted the problems before it happened.

In short: I told you so.

You guys all voted for Justin Trudeau and his promised and increasing immigration.  Do not come and complain that he has increased immigration.

If you did not vote for the Libs, you voted NDP and they supported the idea of increasing immigration in Canada, despited our structural weaknesses.

If your foundation is crumbling and you add weight on it, it's going to fail.

Canada's infrastructure and governance system was not and still is not able to manage to influx of population.

HVC

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2024, 10:57:20 AM

Cape Breton?

Not really.  There's not a lot of inhabitable place there.  It's a big rock, really.  And on one side, they need to guard against the English.  They failed the first two times, they came from the inside.  Let's not repeat the same mistakes a 3rd time. :(