News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2024, 03:06:48 PMNot to muddy up the dead pool thread, but question to our more knowledgeable (and senior :P ) members, but why was GST so unpopular. Didn't it replace another "hidden" tax? I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

It was applied to services too, while the other one was only on some goods.

It was a good tax for the government, and it's a much better way to generate revenue than income tax.

But it's a tax...  No one likes the word tax.  Same thing as the carbon tax.  It's not a bad idea to price carbon.  But you call it a tax, and you're met with downright hostility and people blame it for everything that goes bad.

Chrétien promise to repeal the tax in his 1st mandate.  Also in his 2nd mandate.  And to modify it in his 3rd.

Just like the FTA was exchanging a horse for a rabbit according the Liberals.  They also promised to repeal that accord in their first mandate.  Than to modify it in their 2nd mandate.  I guess they were true to their words on that one. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Did they bring it down by a point? I can't remember
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2024, 04:45:53 PMSorry if this was answered, but I'm curious how one would verify age online.  Take a picture of your face next to an ID card and send it to the site?
The tools aren't there yet really for it to be anything more than a check against databases.

The techs that's being looked at is a combination of database checks, having the physical document and biometrics - a bit like the way online banking has developed in recent years.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 02, 2024, 10:40:14 AMDid they bring it down by a point? I can't remember

Harper brought it from 7% to 5%.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

HVC was soo right about the geese :ph34r:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Conservatives win by-election in Durham with 57% of the vote.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/durham-federal-byelection-2024-1.7130853

It's been a Conservative riding since 2004 so not a shocker, but it's up from 46% in the last election (and that's when the MP was leader Erin O'Toole's riding which usually gives a boost).  But yes, it's a by-election with light turn-out, as they always are.

The new MP, Jamil Jivani, sound like - an interesting character.  He's been associated with right-wing groups like Manning Centre and Canada Strong and Free Network.  Raised by a single mother, he went to Yale Law School where he became close friends with JD Vance.

(of course CBC has to mention that Vance is now seen as a close ally of Donald Trump, which makes it seem like they're playing Six Degree of Kevin Bacon)

Oexmelin

A useful reminder of the harm inflicted upon democracy by Yale Law school.
Que le grand cric me croque !

PRC

Modern Conservatism is a global movement that worships power above all else.

Zoupa

Vance turned out to be an incredibly terrible piece of shit. Shame on me for having any glimmer of hope for him.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on March 05, 2024, 02:42:32 PMVance turned out to be an incredibly terrible piece of shit. Shame on me for having any glimmer of hope for him.

Why is it a shame on you?

Vance has a really good back story.  Raised in a very poor family (largely by his grandma), with lots of drug addiction around him, he succeeded in school, served in the Marines, then went to university, culminating in Yale Law.  His memoir Hillbilly Elegy was incredibly well reviewed (I haven't read it) and was even made into a movie.

During Trump's initial rise, Vance was incredibly critical of Donald Trump.

But then yes - as he decided he wanted to be a senator, he leaned into Trump (and MAGA) - hard.

There was no initial reason to expect that career and political trajectory for him.  I think him deciding to take that path reflects very badly on JD Vance, but I don't think it reflects badly on you (and me) for having at one time being impressed by him.  I mean if I start to believe in him a second time - THEN that would reflect badly on me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2024, 03:15:05 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 05, 2024, 02:42:32 PMVance turned out to be an incredibly terrible piece of shit. Shame on me for having any glimmer of hope for him.

Why is it a shame on you?

Vance has a really good back story.  Raised in a very poor family (largely by his grandma), with lots of drug addiction around him, he succeeded in school, served in the Marines, then went to university, culminating in Yale Law.  His memoir Hillbilly Elegy was incredibly well reviewed (I haven't read it) and was even made into a movie.

During Trump's initial rise, Vance was incredibly critical of Donald Trump.

But then yes - as he decided he wanted to be a senator, he leaned into Trump (and MAGA) - hard.

There was no initial reason to expect that career and political trajectory for him.  I think him deciding to take that path reflects very badly on JD Vance, but I don't think it reflects badly on you (and me) for having at one time being impressed by him.  I mean if I start to believe in him a second time - THEN that would reflect badly on me.

I agree entirely.

Zoupa

Shame on me for believing any conservative could possibly be anything else than a piece of crap.

I make an exception for you Beeb.  :sleep: You're alright.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on March 05, 2024, 03:52:41 PMShame on me for believing any conservative could possibly be anything else than a piece of crap.

There are really good conservatives, and piece of shit liberals.

I don't think I'll ever convince you there are more good conservatives then there are good liberals, but just trust that they're out there.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on March 05, 2024, 03:52:41 PMShame on me for believing any conservative could possibly be anything else than a piece of crap.

I guess you think I am a piece of crap then  :(

viper37

Quote from: PRC on March 05, 2024, 02:32:59 PMModern Conservatism is a global movement that worships power above all else.
Because in the past, the old Conservatives did not worship power above all else?  Neither did the Liberals, sabotaging everything good, not on principle, but simply to regain power, by their own admittance? (See, Meech, FTA)

I'd say the foundation of Canada by the then Conservative Party of Wilfrid Laurier was as much power worshipping than anything.  They were scared of the US, of becoming irrelevant as a political class.  All jokes aside about monarchy, it was as much about preserving the power of the elite political class, and enriching them with the railroad than anything else.  Nowhere does the "good of the people" figure in any in of their conversations.

That would have likely been treasonous talk.