News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2023, 04:14:10 PMMostly though... the dude is 81 years old.  I don't know he's going to exactly oversee a vigorous investigation.
Ah.  He seemed a bit old in his picture.

Maybe they didn't want someone too energetic to look into this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2023, 04:14:10 PMFormer GG David Johnston is appointed the "special rapporteur" for the China election interference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Johnston

So I mean, his non-partisanship is beyond reproach.  He's moderated several leaders debate (going as far back as 1979!), was a Harper appointee as GG.

I understand there was some criticism of his about the Oliphaunt Commission looking into the Airbus scandal, but I honestly don't remember much about his involvement there.

Mostly though... the dude is 81 years old.  I don't know he's going to exactly oversee a vigorous investigation.

Was it necessary to say he was a Harper appointee?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

So seen increasing dislike of the Johnston appointment.

Nothing negative about the man himself - but just that he appears to be in a conflict.

He's described as being a friend of Trudeau senior, and a "family friend" as described by Trudeau Jr himself.  He sits on the board of the Trudeau foundation (which itself is involved in the China election scandal, as the Chinese apparently sent a bunch of money to the foundation).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/haiti-trudeau-biden-1.6779072

News story that the US is pressuring Canada to take the lead and "fix" Haiti, seemingly by military intervention, as gangs pretty much take over all of Port-au-Prince.

Grey Fox

From that article, it seems like Haitians, both establishment and population, want us to help fix the problem. Maybe, we should.

What concerns me are General Eyre words. By saying we lack capacity is he parroting the usual military line that wants more before doing anything with what they already have or is it an actually concern? Does our military thinks intervention in Haiti looks like our Afghan operations with Leopards 2 & M777 shooting excalibur rounds?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2023, 01:03:55 PMFrom that article, it seems like Haitians, both establishment and population, want us to help fix the problem. Maybe, we should.

What concerns me are General Eyre words. By saying we lack capacity is he parroting the usual military line that wants more before doing anything with what they already have or is it an actually concern? Does our military thinks intervention in Haiti looks like our Afghan operations with Leopards 2 & M777 shooting excalibur rounds?

Haiti is a country of 11 million.

Canadian Armed Forces has a total active service personnal of 68,000 - but of that only a tiny fraction could be sent overseas.

Sending a couple thousand soldiers to pacify a country of 11 million seems more than a bit dangerous.

And the problem isn't with the majority of the population that wants Canada to come - it's with the minority that doesn't.

Grey Fox

Hopefully, leading doesn't mean doing it alone because then we're awfully inadequate to the task. I wonder why the Americans suddenly think we have a working military?

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2023, 01:14:24 PMHopefully, leading doesn't mean doing it alone because then we're awfully inadequate to the task. I wonder why the Americans suddenly think we have a working military?

It's a way to wash their hands while looking like they're doing something.

Not saying they should intervene in Haiti. Hell I don't even know if we should.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2023, 05:45:56 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2023, 04:14:10 PMFormer GG David Johnston is appointed the "special rapporteur" for the China election interference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Johnston

So I mean, his non-partisanship is beyond reproach.  He's moderated several leaders debate (going as far back as 1979!), was a Harper appointee as GG.

I understand there was some criticism of his about the Oliphaunt Commission looking into the Airbus scandal, but I honestly don't remember much about his involvement there.

Mostly though... the dude is 81 years old.  I don't know he's going to exactly oversee a vigorous investigation.

Was it necessary to say he was a Harper appointee?

It seems that is the only reason the Liberals appointed him.  Beside that one characteristic, he was a great academic.  But he has been long retired from both academia and his stint as GG.  But even in his prime, I do not know what skill set he has or had to conduct an investigation of this magnitude and importance.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2023, 01:08:23 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2023, 01:03:55 PMFrom that article, it seems like Haitians, both establishment and population, want us to help fix the problem. Maybe, we should.

Haiti is a country of 11 million.

Canadian Armed Forces has a total active service personnal of 68,000 - but of that only a tiny fraction could be sent overseas.

Sending a couple thousand soldiers to pacify a country of 11 million seems more than a bit dangerous.

And the problem isn't with the majority of the population that wants Canada to come - it's with the minority that doesn't.

Whatever forces we could send oversees have been dedicated to the ongoing mission in Latvia.

viper37

And the moment we're out, they're in the same shit again.  They should start helping themselves first.  They're way too passive and dependant on foreign aid.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2023, 01:50:18 PM
And the moment we're out, they're in the same shit again.  They should start helping themselves first.  They're way too passive and dependant on foreign aid.

The history of Haiti is a pretty sad one - it's hard to say how the country had much of a chance

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2023, 01:55:11 PM

The history of Haiti is a pretty sad one - it's hard to say how the country had much of a chance

It did, until France required it to pay at gun point.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 16, 2023, 01:59:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2023, 01:55:11 PM

It did, until France required it to pay at gun point.

Beyond just that though - they were ruled by various "Emperors", then there was a US occupation, then the Duvalier's, then a devastating earthquake...