News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2022, 06:52:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2022, 05:46:40 PMViper and I talked about it a little.

But I have no interest in discussing Quebec politics with RoC people so I didn't post anything about it.

@viper casted my vote chanting your name.

That's too bad - I'd love to hear your take. My only local insight is from Viper, such as it is, and I suspect you have a different point of view.
I'll have the last laugh, the day of his retirement, when his party considers him an ultra rich due to his house having increased in value :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The Libs have been confirmed has the Official opposition.  With 19 elected members of the National Assembly so far, out of 125.

Results are here, so far.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 03, 2022, 09:21:16 PM:thumbsdown:

Oh hey Oex. Are you willing to provide a quick summary of results and likely repercussions? I don't trust Anglo media on this....

Grey Fox

You can trust Chantal Hébert when she writes her summary on the cbc.

The outside Montreal francophone vote is firmly behind the CAQ while the Montreal base francophone vote is split between the Liberals, QS & PQ.

The Anglos are still firmly in the Liberals camp.

This will be an interesting 4 years where immigration is probably going to be in the news everyweek. That and francisation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2022, 09:50:42 PMYou can trust Chantal Hébert when she writes her summary on the cbc.

The outside Montreal francophone vote is firmly behind the CAQ while the Montreal base francophone vote is split between the Liberals, QS & PQ.

The Anglos are still firmly in the Liberals camp.

This will be an interesting 4 years where immigration is probably going to be in the news everyweek. That and francisation.

Balarama Holness of Bloc Montreal got 7% vote in his riding.  La Presse devoted an entire article to the new anglo-centric parties.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 03, 2022, 09:21:16 PM:thumbsdown:
Well, we have our first Innu MNA, and most likely Indigenous relations minister. :)

Still, it's a shitty system.  None of the proposals to replace it make sense however.  It was designed to keep power in the hands of the monarch and its representative, with two people fighting for power & attention with their respective party.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Surprised to see the PCQ get 12% of the vote, even though it didn't translate into any seats.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2022, 06:52:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2022, 05:46:40 PMViper and I talked about it a little.

But I have no interest in discussing Quebec politics with RoC people so I didn't post anything about it.

@viper casted my vote chanting your name.

That's too bad - I'd love to hear your take. My only local insight is from Viper, such as it is, and I suspect you have a different point of view.

Voted PQ, strangely not that much for the independance idea but for the overall program. Unsurprisingly, I lost.

There are too many players at the moment. It is interesting because there are remains of the independantists/federalists era (PQ, Libs) and the newer parties that define themselves more by their socio-economic ideas. For instance, CAQ stole somewhat the nationalistic credo from the PQ and the economic credo from the Libs. Quebec Solidaire stole somewhat the inclusion credo from the Libs. And the Conservative stole a bit the smaller state credo that was somewhat adopted by the Libs under Charest and Couillard. So it is a big mess. We can't continue like that in the long term. I guess a few parties will fade away or have to merge.
To rent

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2022, 12:27:07 PMSurprised to see the PCQ get 12% of the vote, even though it didn't translate into any seats.

Duhaime rode in part on people fatigue about sanitary restrictions. But there is a market for freedom and smaller government advocates. But I think he got most of them, so the growth perspective is limited.
To rent

Barrister

Quote from: Rex Francorum on October 04, 2022, 03:55:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2022, 12:27:07 PMSurprised to see the PCQ get 12% of the vote, even though it didn't translate into any seats.

Duhaime rode in part on people fatigue about sanitary restrictions. But there is a market for freedom and smaller government advocates. But I think he got most of them, so the growth perspective is limited.

Knowing me as you do you could probably guess I was hopeful that they would be a Harper-ish conservative party, which they seem to somewhat be, but a lot more influence by the "FREEDOM!" anti-vax side of things.  Ah well.

Yes, you really have to limit yourself down to 2-3 major parties to get election results that more-or-less reflect the will of the majority.  Not that this particular election result is unfair - 40% is a pretty strong mandate.  But with 5 parties you can have situations where government is formed by a party getting as little as one third of the votes (and maybe not even the party that won the most votes).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2022, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Rex Francorum on October 04, 2022, 03:55:47 PM

Knowing me as you do you could probably guess I was hopeful that they would be a Harper-ish conservative party, which they seem to somewhat be, but a lot more influence by the "FREEDOM!" anti-vax side of things.  Ah well.
the written platform in itself was more Harper-ish conservative, but lacked refinement.  The candidates themselves however where mostly anti-vax. Only 1 or 2 were truly presentable to the medias.

Grey Fox

My PCQ candidate coworker finished 3rd in his riding. He's an plandemic idiot but my bosses will be happy to see him back.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.