News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

And the Federal Minister of Justice is hiding behind the separation of the legislative and judiciary branch to avoid intervening.  :rolleyes:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

So all I can add is:

1. I've never in my professional life heard of such a procedure, and never would have thought it possible.

2. We take protection Confidential Informants very, very, very seriously.

3. Normally though being a CI doesn't make you immune from prosecution - you can still be prosecuted like anyone else and your being a CI on an unrelated matter never comes into it.  Here though apparently the charge is deeply entwined with his being a CI.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2022, 02:30:59 PM3. Normally though being a CI doesn't make you immune from prosecution - you can still be prosecuted like anyone else and your being a CI on an unrelated matter never comes into it.  Here though apparently the charge is deeply entwined with his being a CI.
There was a big case here recently - it wasn't over prosecution but what the BBC could publish.

Basically there was an MI5 "covert human intelligence source"/CHIS who was a foreign national in far-right borderline terrorist circles. He was also incredibly abusive to girlfriends and used the fact that he was associated with British intelligence as part of the way he abused, threatened and coerced them. He was in another country and - according to the security services - police in that country were made aware of him and the threat he posed to women. Which means they knew. He subsequently spent a year or two in the UK under an assumed identity and pay from the intelligence agencies - but has now left and is again in another country.

BBC wanted to publish the story in full, the government sued on national security grounds. I think the court ruled that the BBC could report the story but they couldn't identify him or any other indvidual, including his ex-girlfriend, or any detail (like nationality or the country this took place in) that might identify him.

Obviously there were a tonne of reporting restrictions on that case.

There can be in camera hearings or ones that are highly restricted and require the judges and lawyers to have security clearance but I've never heard of one where it sounds like there's almost no record of it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Pierre Poillievre introduces bill to ban vaccine mandates: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pierre-poilievre-vaccine-mandate-ban-1.6476419

QuoteConservative leadership contender Pierre Poilievre has tabled a bill in the House of Commons that, if passed, would prohibit the federal government from imposing vaccine mandates on federal workers and the travelling public.

Poilievre, who has been a vocal opponent of mandates since the convoy of protesters against vaccine mandates rolled into Ottawa earlier this year, said he's tabling this legislation now "to give Canadians back control of their lives."

While the text of Poilievre's bill, C-278, explicitly mentions only COVID-19-related vaccine mandates, his social media accounts promoted the legislation as a way to "scrap all vaccine mandates and ban any and all future vaccine mandates" to give people their "medical freedom."

Former Quebec premier Jean Charest, another leadership contender challenging Poilievre for the top job, said Poilievre's vaccine mandate legislation sends an ominous signal.

"It's not clear whether Poilievre will procure vaccines for Canadians in a future pandemic," Charest said in a social media post.

"The only way to stop this is with a serious leader who won't risk the health and well-being of millions of Canadians for his own power," he said while urging Canadians to take out a Conservative party membership before Friday's deadline and vote in this leadership election.

Poilievre's legislation, a private member's bill, isn't likely to pass through a Commons controlled by the Liberal-NDP alliance.

These types of bills also take months, and sometimes years, to pass through all the legislative phases in both houses of Parliament, which means the federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates may already be gone before this bill ever gets to a vote.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Not Harper's party anymore. The inmates are running the asylum.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2022, 01:56:15 PMNot Harper's party anymore. The inmates are running the asylum.

Yep

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2022, 01:56:15 PMNot Harper's party anymore. The inmates are running the asylum.
Poilièvre hasn't been elected yet.  I wouldn't vote for his party, nor would I vote for Charest's party, but any of these two wouldn't affect women's rights in Canada.

viper37

In other news, there's going to be a protest in Montreal this week-end.
Women are going to protest, bare chested, for their rights to be, bare-breasted.

A right they already have.

The incident stems from a woman who was told by Quebec city's police officer that she should cover her breast in a public park.  They didn't give her a ticket, they didn't arrest her, but one officer told her politely to cover herself following a complaint and "reinforcing" police officers sat in their cars discussing, probably checking rules on this, and then left.

But it's become a viral Facebook post and all medias are reporting it... denouncing the fact that it's a story medias talk about in 2022. ;)

So, Quebec city mayor told women they could be bare-chested in the city if they wanted to he didn't care and had no intention to forbid it.
Quebec's minister on Women's affairs said women may go if they wanted to, she had nothing to say about it.

But every public declaration like this seems to enraged these women even more...

Ah, well, that's the modern left, I guess.  So, anyway, there's going to be some traffic disturbing protest about a non event, this week-end, in Montreal. Again.  Thankfully, I'll be far away from there.

Grey Fox

At least when the left protests non issues  they don't threaten democracy or try to shut down tunnels because they have to wear a mask.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2022, 05:27:25 PMAt least when the left protests non issues  they don't threaten democracy or try to shut down tunnels because they have to wear a mask.
no, they only sent trucks crashing down intersections and tunnel lanes to protest about possible work code changes. hell of a difference.

Grey Fox

Sibole, faut que tu choisisses. Soit la FTQ est la mafia, soit elle est a gauche. 2 états mutuellement exclusif.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

PG version of ciboire. Its the vase that holds the hosts.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.