And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2021, 11:02:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2021, 12:26:18 PM
I once used a Laurentian student card to sneak into a bar when I was 17.  I was afraid they'd ask me where Laurentian was, cuz I had no idea. :)

Fun fact - with me on this night out was a young Ezra Levant.

I totally see it.  ;)

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2021, 12:33:08 PM
If you don't call him a fascist now, you are just lying to yourself.

I had a favourable impression of Levant throughout the 90s (I ran into him a couple more times at Reform Party events), but broke with him a long time ago.

Heck I remember getting a fundraising email from his organization in oh probably 2001-2002, writing back to remove me from this list and I don't know how you got it, for Ezra to write back himself pointing out I'd given it to him.

He's clearly in the particularly stupid head space of us-Fox News inspired "reporting", but what specifically about him makes him a fascist?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Not sure what he is doing now, but back in 17-18 the Conservatives cut ties with his media platform in part because it showed material from fascist groups.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2021, 05:38:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2021, 05:31:40 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2021, 05:30:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2021, 10:46:15 AM
We should start a pool on when the Liberals will call the election they say they don't want to call.  :D
Given the 3rd wave and Tam's comments that we have reached the highest point... I don't think they'll use the budget as a pretext, so it's gonna be next fall.

I think they are going to table the budget and run on it, promising to implement it if elected.
3 weeks ago, I'm sure that was the plan.  Now...  Not so sure.  I notice they did not attack the NDP this week-end, not once.  Zip, nada, no mention of the NDP.  It leads me to believe they still want to make a deal with them to get this budget to pass the vote.

BC just announced the lockdown will go another 30 days, and others are probably doing the same - so yeah, I think you are right.

Barrister

To go back to straight politics for a moment, very interesting election result in Yukon this week.  It was a double-tie.

Yukon Party (centre-right) was leading or elected in 8 ridings.  So were the Liberals.  NDP was leading or elected in 2.

Then there's the Vuntut Gwitchin riding, which covers Yukon's far north, mostly the community of Old Crow.  In Vuntut Gwitchin there's also a tie, with 78 votes each for the Liberals and NDP.

VG will go to a recount, and then potentially a judicial recount.  If still tied (and remember we're not talking about a lot of votes here) it sounds like they're draw lots to determine the winner.

In the end it's a minority either way, and the Liberals as incumbents get first shot to form government either way.  Just not a result you see often.

https://www.whitehorsestar.com/News/it-s-a-very-interesting-decision-by-yukoners-dixon

crazy canuck

A new example for the every vote counts mantra.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2021, 11:59:22 AM
A new example for the every vote counts mantra.

If you live in a riding where only 156 people voted  ;)

Here's a fun factoid: CBC's election website lists the results for the 3 main parties, plus independents and Greens.  Independents won 26 votes.  The Greens got zero votes - because the Green Party did not run any candidates.  So why the hell did CBC even list them?  I'm pretty sure the Social Credit party also got zero votes...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

QuoteConservatives announce plan to replace Liberal carbon tax with a lower levy of their own

Proposal would see levy from fuel purchases go into personal savings accounts
David Cochrane, Salimah Shivji, Aaron Wherry · CBC News · Posted: Apr 15, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 16 minutes ago

Conservative Party leader Erin O'Toole unveiled a climate plan today which will put a price on carbon for consumers.

But instead of the Liberal carbon-tax-and-rebate system, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is proposing to charge a levy on fuel purchases and use the money to fund personalized savings accounts which Canadians can use for environmentally friendly purchases.

Under O'Toole's plan — which CBC News obtained a copy of Wednesday — Canadians would pay a carbon levy, initially amounting to $20 per tonne of greenhouse gas emissions, every time they buy hydrocarbon-based fuels, such as gasoline.

But instead of channeling that money into direct rebates to Canadian households, as is the case currently, the Conservatives would divert it to "personal low carbon savings accounts."

[More in the article itself]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/carbon-tax-conservatives-1.5988407

So there you go - Conservatives propose a carbon "pricing mechanism".

It's not terrible, but it does seem more like it's designed to try to sell Conservative voters on the idea of a carbon tax, rather than being designed to be the best policy.

viper37

it seems awfully complicated to implement.

People are apparently confused by simple directives like "stay at home, avoid non essential travels, avec non essential gatherings", I can't see them understanding the goal of that green savings account.  And what will ultimately be considered green or not may vary from year to year.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2021, 01:26:31 PMIt's not terrible, but it does seem more like it's designed to try to sell Conservative voters on the idea of a carbon tax, rather than being designed to be the best policy.

Fair assessment, which is in itself an indictment of the Conservative voters. I think it's trying to square the circle of liberal criticism, selling the idea to the Conservative voters, and deflecting criticism re: environmentalism.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 15, 2021, 01:49:17 PM
Fair assessment, which is in itself an indictment of the Conservative voters. I think it's trying to square the circle of liberal criticism, selling the idea to the Conservative voters, and deflecting criticism re: environmentalism.

Sounds about right. Not an easy problem to solve.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 15, 2021, 01:49:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2021, 01:26:31 PMIt's not terrible, but it does seem more like it's designed to try to sell Conservative voters on the idea of a carbon tax, rather than being designed to be the best policy.

Yes.  Also, this is weaker than what Conservative think tanks were proposing back when a purely market based solution might have had a chance of working.  We are now well past that point.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2021, 01:06:45 PM
Now Canada has naked MPs?

He just wanted to prove he was not a cat.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius