News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 12, 2021, 12:56:26 PM

Whatever the ammount, it was compounded by mismanagement. It was discovered that Laurentian used *a single account* for general and administrative expenses, where all revenues were poured, and all expenses drawn from. And because it was such a shit show, the board did what so many boards do: they treated it as a PR crisis, closed ranks, and held more and more meetings in secret. In addition, the university invested (poorly) in real estate.

It's now official that the University just wiped out philosophy and French lit, and halved Econ.

Are universities audited? i mean with that accounting "policy" in place i can't imagine they are. which leads to another question, why aren't they?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 12, 2021, 01:15:21 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 12, 2021, 12:56:26 PM

Whatever the ammount, it was compounded by mismanagement. It was discovered that Laurentian used *a single account* for general and administrative expenses, where all revenues were poured, and all expenses drawn from. And because it was such a shit show, the board did what so many boards do: they treated it as a PR crisis, closed ranks, and held more and more meetings in secret. In addition, the university invested (poorly) in real estate.

It's now official that the University just wiped out philosophy and French lit, and halved Econ.

Are universities audited? i mean with that accounting "policy" in place i can't imagine they are. which leads to another question, why aren't they?

Which is why I posed the question where was and is the government.  All this happened under a Board the government appointed.  And yes universities are audited by their respective provincial ministries.

HVC

luckily i didn't learn any of my accounting there, since i had the prereq's. Although it does make my Honours Bachelor of Commerce seem suspect hah
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

Quote from: HVC on April 12, 2021, 01:38:49 PM
luckily i didn't learn any of my accounting there, since i had the prereq's. Although it does make my Honours Bachelor of Commerce seem suspect hah

You shouldn't. Universities are generally run by people who want nothing to do with the expertise contained in the university. Case in point: Johns Hopkins, at the forefront of pandemic planning, had a board that had never thought about pandemic planning.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2021, 10:46:15 AM
We should start a pool on when the Liberals will call the election they say they don't want to call.  :D
Given the 3rd wave and Tam's comments that we have reached the highest point... I don't think they'll use the budget as a pretext, so it's gonna be next fall.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2021, 05:30:11 PM
We should start a pool on when the Liberals will call the election they say they don't want to call.  :D
Given the 3rd wave and Tam's comments that we have reached the highest point... I don't think they'll use the budget as a pretext, so it's gonna be next fall.

I think they are going to table the budget and run on it, promising to implement it if elected.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2021, 05:31:40 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2021, 05:30:11 PM

I think they are going to table the budget and run on it, promising to implement it if elected.
3 weeks ago, I'm sure that was the plan.  Now...  Not so sure.  I notice they did not attack the NDP this week-end, not once.  Zip, nada, no mention of the NDP.  It leads me to believe they still want to make a deal with them to get this budget to pass the vote.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Yeah, I think the third wave has paused plans for an election.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

By the time the election happens we will be almost fully vaccinated though.

Josephus

Maybe this fall? I don't know. I think for sure, they want to get this COVID shit out of the way first. Maybe next spring
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

When I was editor of the student newspaper at Ryerson, then Polytechnic Instittue, in Toronto, way, way back; we had a conference at Laurentian. A weekend long thing. Really a drunk fest. But the one thing that stuck with me, is there were some really, really pretty young women up there.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2021, 12:26:18 PM
I once used a Laurentian student card to sneak into a bar when I was 17.  I was afraid they'd ask me where Laurentian was, cuz I had no idea. :)

Fun fact - with me on this night out was a young Ezra Levant.

Oexmelin

Was he already a fascist, then?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 13, 2021, 11:22:30 AM
Was he already a fascist, then?

We were all delegates at the 1992 Reform Party convention.  So we were a smallish bunch of youthful right-wing types but who worked within the party.  I wouldn't call him a fascist at the time (not sure I would call him that now, but I haven't followed his work).

The Laurentian student card was from another delegate who looked a tiny bit like me if you squinted hard in dark light.

Grey Fox

If you don't call him a fascist now, you are just lying to yourself.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.