News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on March 26, 2011, 05:15:22 PM
Haven't voted in the last several elections (Quebec or Canada) and don't intend to this time again.  Anyway I'm in Duceppe's riding so he's a shoe-in.
G.

;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

The conservatives propose income splitting but only for parents with kids under the age of 18 and only when the deficit is gone - four years from now.

Meh. 

The liberals are supposed to role out some platforms later in the week.  Not sure about the NDP.

Meh.

Just another indication that this election has nothing to do with substantive issues.

Jacob

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 28, 2011, 02:37:21 PM
What's income splitting?

Where the higher earner splits income with the lower earner so less taxes are paid over all.

The example the Conservatives give is that under the present system if one spouse earns 20k and the other earns 60k they collectively pay more tax then another family where both spouses earn 40k.

Jacob

Is that so? Interesting.

Talking about a tax break you're going to give people in four years (once the deficit is gone, assuming that it is and that you're still in power then) does seem a little bit weak.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 28, 2011, 03:00:36 PM
Talking about a tax break you're going to give people in four years (once the deficit is gone, assuming that it is and that you're still in power then) does seem a little bit weak.
As a Conservative Zealot, I can not agree with this statement.  It is a genuine measure in wich we can believe in, that will further reduce the burden of government intrusion in our life.

But as a voter, yeah, I agree, it's totally silly to make promises for such long term.  You never know what's going to happen in the next 3 years wich would totally compromise this measure.

It should have been part of a broader tax plan, spanned over 4-5 years.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

It's a goofy-ass, pointless election.  Nobody really has much to offer.  The opposition is telling me that the Conservatives are running a campaign based on fear, while they themselves are running a campaign based on hate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2011, 03:49:05 PM
It's a goofy-ass, pointless election.  Nobody really has much to offer.  The opposition is telling me that the Conservatives are running a campaign based on fear, while they themselves are running a campaign based on hate.

Pretty much sums it up.

This is going to be an all time low point for Canadian elections.  No one is going to have much of anything in terms of policies.  Its all going to be about how bad the others are.

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2011, 02:34:38 PM
Just another indication that this election has nothing to do with substantive issues.

That may be so. But my own electoral pet peeve being the republican (as in "in a republic", not US Republican) attitude of Harper, albeit with the resources of British parliamentarism, I do think it is an important issue, even if not within the electoral standard of "management" and "promises".
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 28, 2011, 04:34:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2011, 02:34:38 PM

That may be so. But my own electoral pet peeve being the republican (as in "in a republic", not US Republican) attitude of Harper, albeit with the resources of British parliamentarism, I do think it is an important issue, even if not within the electoral standard of "management" and "promises".

Except that it only really becomes an issue because of the election - that is if the real reason for this election is to get rid of Harper why would any sane person force the election while the conservatives are doing relatively well in the polls?

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2011, 04:37:42 PM
Except that it only really becomes an issue because of the election

Not quite. Or, at least, it was an issue before, although camouflaged under a number of specific instances - hence my fear of Harper's insidiousness (or self-induced blindness) in the matter. Even if discussions of the historical roots of British parliamentarism are unlikely to transform into electoral focus, we will see how things develop. Ignatieff is probably the only one who could bring this up. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 28, 2011, 04:43:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2011, 04:37:42 PM
Except that it only really becomes an issue because of the election

Not quite. Or, at least, it was an issue before, although camouflaged under a number of specific instances - hence my fear of Harper's insidiousness (or self-induced blindness) in the matter. Even if discussions of the historical roots of British parliamentarism are unlikely to transform into electoral focus, we will see how things develop. Ignatieff is probably the only one who could bring this up.

But if your concern is with Harper then you must be unhappy with an election at this time since the likely result will produce nothing you will be happy with - either a return of a Conservative Minority government or a Conservative Majority.

To your substantive point - I can't think of anyone in power, recent memory, who adheres to the Parliamentarian form of government.  The executive has long since been the primary govenor of affairs both Federally and Provincially.  To the extent Iggy suggests he would do things differently I would have a hard time believing him.

Chretian may be the most to blame for making the PMO as powerful as it is.  Provincially, at least here in BC, there is a long history of the Premier's office being all powerful.  Christy Clarke says she is going to change that.  But again.  I will believe it when I see it.

As I have posted before, I would like a return to a system more respectful of Parliament.  But I am not sure how practical that is - particularly given the very average quality of most of our Parliamentarians.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2011, 04:56:34 PM
As I have posted before, I would like a return to a system more respectful of Parliament.  But I am not sure how practical that is - particularly given the very average quality of most of our Parliamentarians.
I think that the reduced quality of parliamentarians over the years has been somewhat overstated.  I think that the pressure has been ratcheted up by a 24-hour news cycle, and by the fact that government has become so important over the last few decades that the tiny differences in policy between the two normal parties have become hugely important to their partisans.  There's also some pollution from over the border.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2011, 04:14:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2011, 03:49:05 PM

Pretty much sums it up.

This is going to be an all time low point for Canadian elections.  No one is going to have much of anything in terms of policies.  Its all going to be about how bad the others are.

Don't knock it, that's the way American elections have been for almost 2 decades.

Neil

Quote from: sbr on March 28, 2011, 06:28:33 PM
Don't knock it, that's the way American elections have been for almost 2 decades.
Generally speaking, emulating the US isn't the way to go forward.  Even Americans realize that.