News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 07, 2020, 05:02:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2020, 04:42:55 PMWhat is the situation in Missouri?  Have you spent a great deal of time here?

I know the situation in Missouri.

That isn't an answer to either of my questions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2020, 05:19:37 PM

Too bad.

In any case, my point is that you should direct your frothing towards Missouri, which I am sure you know, rather than Quebec, which I am sure you don't.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 07, 2020, 05:35:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2020, 05:19:37 PM

Too bad.

In any case, my point is that you should direct your frothing towards Missouri, which I am sure you know, rather than Quebec, which I am sure you don't.

I expected better than "mind your own business", pity.  I don't think think I will take you up on your suggestion though, after all, you didn't extend the same courtesy to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Oexmelin

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2020, 06:17:32 PMI expected better than "mind your own business", pity.  I don't think think I will take you up on your suggestion though, after all, you didn't extend the same courtesy to me.

It's not a "mind you own business": many people engage on matters which are well beyond their own business. It's that you engage in all topics re: Quebec with considerable, and relentless, bad faith.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

The article written by our Former Chief Justice  :wub: seems to have had the intended effect of lighting a fire under Provincial AGs and the Judiciary to be innovative in finding alternative means of holding hearings.  So a silver lining will likely be that our justice system will become more efficient and accessible.  :)

Barrister

Kenney made a speech to the province tonight.

I respect the man a lot for being very hard working, but he doesn't have an easy kind of charisma.  That being said, the speech went well.  I was afraid it was going to announce some kind of horrible news - instead it was merely bad.

My worst takeaway - he forecasts a deficit this year of $20 billion dollars.  That's.. um a lot for a province of just over 4 million people.  Like really, really bad.  That was roughly the projected deficit for the entire country a little while ago.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2020, 09:54:22 PM
Kenney made a speech to the province tonight.

I respect the man a lot for being very hard working, but he doesn't have an easy kind of charisma.  That being said, the speech went well.  I was afraid it was going to announce some kind of horrible news - instead it was merely bad.

My worst takeaway - he forecasts a deficit this year of $20 billion dollars.  That's.. um a lot for a province of just over 4 million people.  Like really, really bad.  That was roughly the projected deficit for the entire country a little while ago.

I thought the speech was good, but gloomy, and that's probably as it should be.  The other announcement today, that the Federal Governments 75% wage subsidy is going to be a tax credit is super worrying.  Businesses needed the cash now to keep people working, not a tax credit next April.  With Western oil trading at $3 a barrel and his comment that it may go negative, I fear Alberta will be the worst hit province in Canada when the sun starts to rise again.

crazy canuck

Do you have a link about the subsidy being a tax credit?  I agree that would not make any sense.

PRC

An absolutely hyperbolic and pessimistic interpretation of my own based upon Trudeau's press conference comments today saying the wage subsidy would be a part of the Income Tax Act.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/2020/4/7/1_4886512.html

QuoteThe wage subsidy will be embedded in the Income Tax Act, Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday, and so it will require legislation approved by Parliament.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on April 07, 2020, 11:40:15 PM
An absolutely hyperbolic and pessimistic interpretation of my own based upon Trudeau's press conference comments today saying the wage subsidy would be a part of the Income Tax Act.

QuoteThe wage subsidy will be embedded in the Income Tax Act, Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday, and so it will require legislation approved by Parliament.

My take has been that such support is taxable, but not that it will be a tax credit for May 2021.

Mrs. B's business of child care for before and after school has collapsed to zero - all of the kids are staying home with their parents who are working from home.  She applied, and apparently was accepted, for the federal CERB program.  Such income is payable soon, but does count as taxable income.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 07, 2020, 06:43:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2020, 06:17:32 PMI expected better than "mind your own business", pity.  I don't think think I will take you up on your suggestion though, after all, you didn't extend the same courtesy to me.

It's not a "mind you own business": many people engage on matters which are well beyond their own business. It's that you engage in all topics re: Quebec with considerable, and relentless, bad faith.

This, like your comments on "Frothing", is beneath you.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2020, 06:47:00 AM
So Canadians, how would you rate your premier and the PM in this crisis?

As you may know, I'm not a Conservative, and have been very anti-Doug Ford. But I have to admit, he's been strong, and showing good leadership skills. I think, unlike say Trump, he really shines in this sort of crisis. He was a bit late to start, encouraging people to have fun on Family Day, when there were already some signs it was starting to spread here, but he's been strong. He stood up well to Trump over the 3M thing. I give him 4 out of 5.

Trudeau? I aslo think he's been good. His daily press conferences from self-isolation were warm, he has that unique ability to give you doom and gloom in a very calm-non panic monotone. Although some conservatives must be freaking over all the money he's spending (even I as a tax and spend guy knows this is going to be very painful down the road), these are necessary measures to prevent a complete breakdown of the economy. I thought when he first shut the borders he should have gone all the way and stop American travellers as well. Also 4 out of 5.

Legault has a 94% approval rate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on April 07, 2020, 11:40:15 PM

It's a straight wage subsidy- payments made directly to businesses to subsidize wage paid to employees retroactive to March - I think 18th.

PRC

Thanks, I certainly hope that is the case.  Businesses need a cheque written for this wage subsidy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on April 08, 2020, 11:13:44 AM
Thanks, I certainly hope that is the case.  Businesses need a cheque written for this wage subsidy.

The main problem is the delay.  The legislation is not yet ready.  I acknowledge it is difficult but time really is critical here.